Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:18 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,460,328 times

Advertisements

I truly feel sorry for people that have not faith in the afterlife....how shallow everything must seem without knowing there is more than this day to day existance. My personal belief is that our life on earth is the "kindergarten" for our life eternal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 12:28 PM

770 posts, read 1,131,628 times
Stay thirsty my friend....

Old 05-13-2014, 12:30 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I truly feel sorry for people that have not faith in the afterlife....how shallow everything must seem without knowing there is more than this day to day existance. My personal belief is that our life on earth is the "kindergarten" for our life eternal!
I feel sorry for you, thinking that this real life is a practice test.

So we can both pat each other on the back in commiseration.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:04 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I don't know how you figure we fade into non-existence. I can honestly say I have no fear of death as it is something I've accepted I cannot control. IMO we are eternal spiritual beings just currently experiencing life as a human on Earth. Nobody knows where their soul will go next. Finite and measured time is a human concept.
You are assuming we have a soul.

The essence of my life is my consciousness. Consciousness is an artifact of a brain which is a part of my physical existence. When the physical part dies, the consciousness also dies. The concept of a soul seems to imply that consciousness exists independent of one's body. There is no objective evidence for such a thing. It would further imply that such a soul existed before your physical self and was somehow attached to it. Where is this repository of souls? Are there a finite number? Sounds suspiciously like religion.

People simply do not like the fact that the thing we call life is just a mechanism for DNA to do its thing. If there were any other "purpose" to life, that would imply that we are fulfilling a plan by something. I personally reject the notion that life on earth, or humans, was planned by something. If we were not planned, there is no objective purpose for us or for life.

People also seem to think that since there is no purpose to life that that implies we should not enjoy life, or should not strive for success. I do not think the latter follows from the former. We have manufactured our own subject purpose for our lives and we live according to that. But it is important to distinguish between an objective purpose for life on earth from a subjective purpose that we ourselves have created.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:09 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I personally feel sorry for people who cannot face the truth and need to delude themselves with pretty little stories about a happy place in the sky.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:47 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,965,555 times
If you worry about death enough then your dead already. If you live life then your a live and you will live in the lives of others. One act of kindness can effect generations. As for the physical death who knows? Why worry about something you can't control? Enjoy this life as best you can for as long as you can.

What many of use don't consider is from a time perspective we will be dead much longer than we will be alive so stop wasting time. Then there's the consideration of old age or health issues. Don't worry about death just live.

That bein g said if you have a family plan so they won't end up on the streets.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:31 PM

723 posts, read 869,060 times
well... there is no point. We're no more than the spectacular result of inanimate matter just doing it's thing the way the physics of this reality dictates. So what? The sky is no less blue, food still tastes as good, weed still gets you high, loads still feel good to blow. It's not a depressing thought at all, it's actually liberating to realise that nothing you do has any real consequence/permanence, that your life is not going to be judged once it's over to decide whether you will spend eternity being tortured. The pressure's off now. Nothing matters!! Whatsoever!!! YAY!!!!!

Old 05-13-2014, 02:54 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
If we are all going to die and fade into nonexistence and we assume there no after life and no god, just non existence. Like Before we were born. Then what's the point? How do we cope with this every second of the day fading away moment to moment into non existence?
Do we just replicate our genes and that's it?
Generally speaking it seems to me there is no afterlife.
How do we cope with finite life? I am having trouble accepting this. I get panic attacks about it
One minute I was a baby I remember my childhood well, then my teens, then 20's and now I'm 34 and it's going by quick, soon I will be old then I will die. Everyone will die. My dog will die.
It's happening to me so quickly. We are all in the same boat.
We could be killed at any point before old age.
Into nonexistence.
I am having trouble accepting this for some reason.
What do I do with my time here. I don't know anymore...
If you think this is all there is, then how about enjoying it to the fullest? Amazing how fun can take your mind off worries - especially when there is nothing you can do about them anyway.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:41 PM

9 posts, read 16,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
You are assuming we have a soul.

The essence of my life is my consciousness. Consciousness is an artifact of a brain which is a part of my physical existence. When the physical part dies, the consciousness also dies. The concept of a soul seems to imply that consciousness exists independent of one's body. There is no objective evidence for such a thing. It would further imply that such a soul existed before your physical self and was somehow attached to it. Where is this repository of souls? Are there a finite number? Sounds suspiciously like religion.

People simply do not like the fact that the thing we call life is just a mechanism for DNA to do its thing. If there were any other "purpose" to life, that would imply that we are fulfilling a plan by something. I personally reject the notion that life on earth, or humans, was planned by something. If we were not planned, there is no objective purpose for us or for life.

People also seem to think that since there is no purpose to life that that implies we should not enjoy life, or should not strive for success. I do not think the latter follows from the former. We have manufactured our own subject purpose for our lives and we live according to that. But it is important to distinguish between an objective purpose for life on earth from a subjective purpose that we ourselves have created.
I agree with the unlikelihood that life on earth or humans was specifically planned by something. Given the seemingly infinite expanse of the universe, it wouldn't make much sense for every person to be micromanaged by some deity of some sort. However, there must be some explanation for why the universe exists, how it got here, whether something existed before it, and why the laws of physics are the way they are. There must be an explanation for why we experience consciousness the way we do instead of simply being "ghosts in the machine." You and I will never learn the answers to these questions, but that doesn't mean we don't fit into some larger thing that could have some sort of purpose.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:39 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,245,457 times
Threads like this are great, because they remind me that no matter how annoyed I get with my own psyche/self/surroundings/existence, I never get to the point of having anxiety attacks about it.

I'm a depressive but I am absolutely blessed to have a good sense of humour.

Worrying about what's going to happen tomorrow or after I die, is like worrying about what shoes Beyonce is going to wear today.

Not relevant to me in the slightest. I just don't care. I don't think about it, at all, not ever. Waste of brain power and for what? I have no control over any of it.

If you think of eternity, it's just too much for our human brains. We cannot understand the universe, never have been able to, religion is just an attempt to put a human face on something that is far beyond our comprehension.

There could be NOTHING, in which case, you won't know, so who cares. Again, Beyonce's shoes.

Maybe you need some meds or counselling? Most people don't think the way you do, it must be exhausting and life limiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy