Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 07:06 AM

25 posts, read 29,993 times

Advertisements

I believe that alienation (also known as the "modern condition") is the cause of the depressed feelings you express. I encourage you to read the work linked below.

http://editions-hache.com/essais/pdf/kaczynski2.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 09:42 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing20 View Post
Why do we act like life is wonderful when all we really do is work all the time? I'm getting ready to graduate college and Ive been struggling to think of a reason I shouldn't just kill myself. There's nothing to look forward to in life. We spend all of our time at work so we can afford to feed and shelter ourselves so that we're healthy enough to go back to work the next day. Then we get excited because we get a week off once a year.
Meanwhile, our children are being raised by someone else who is getting to see all their milestones. We spend most of our time with coworkers instead of our friends and spouses. Things that are supposed to make life worthwhile like traveling can barely be done because to most people who are making enough money to afford it don't have enough time off. Life is pretty much work, stress, and disappointment but we keep trying to find ways to prolong it. I don't get it
Congratulations on discovering the truth of our lives, yes, you're correct in assuming that there is little to be had by doing things in the way that a majority seems to be doing. However---I'm surprised that a smart fella like you hasn't been able to extricate yourself from this humdrum life and just do those things you love to do. Accept less money for the freedom of more time. Accept a smaller but more unstructured life. Accept the fact of your being a transient form, soon to perish and rot, contentment/happiness is what we search for between the time of our birth, and our waiting around to die.

Many people who share your take on things have left the grid and are just living a very simple life, of course they too have their difficulties, they work for hours just to have daily water, work for days or months to get some kind of shelter, they must enjoy the times in between their daily regimen of work just like those who live in the habitrail of the corporate world.

So, the realization that life is what we make of it apparently isn't all that obvious on it's face, but over time most of those who feel no need to join the conformist majority have to see the truth of why we persist against all odds. Your first clue is revealed by your sitting down and posting your lament in hopes of finding a reason to carry on, otherwise you'd have been simply be another suicidal statistic a long time ago. An old bit of wisdom here in this thought:

Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them

Your question of why we act like life is all good, when the obviousness of our collective discomfort is all around us, takes one into that arena of possibilities, from there you advance to a far different view of life than those you feel are trapped in a meaningless life.

Go out into the world and search for your own goals, go out and be among your society, but live by your own directives, look into the myriad alt societies that are now becoming known through the web, and at the least, don't think you are all that unique in your views of things, you have plenty of company..

Old 04-01-2016, 11:31 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
You don't have to do the standard 9-5 with at most a week or two off a year working pattern. I don't. I made enough in 6 months last year to spend 6 months doing whatever I wanted. Some of what I did in that other 6 months not working a regular job made me some money (maple sugaring) and some was just for my enjoyment (hiking, hunting, fishing, reading). There are many fields where this is possible. I wouldn't see any point in living either if I did what most of those around me are doing with their lives. But life is amazing and this world is incredible and full of beauty. You just need to refuse to conform to what our materialistic society and mass media wants you to do.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:15 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,686 times
Traditional /tribal societies don't work all the time and that's probably why you don't find depression or mental illness much there.

whereas the west has epidemic levels of depression and anxiety,suicide,self harm etc,I read a Gallup poll that 70 percent of people hate their job.

Op,but a tiny house Tumbleweed Tiny House Company - Tiny Houses on Wheels, RV Tiny Houses or cabin,have no mortgage and do whatever you want with your time.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:03 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Op,but a tiny house Tumbleweed Tiny House Company - Tiny Houses on Wheels, RV Tiny Houses or cabin,have no mortgage and do whatever you want with your time.
They're a bit pricey.

A person can get a used mobile home for less, I think.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:44 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,686 times
Sure but they're ugly as hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
They're a bit pricey.

A person can get a used mobile home for less, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy