Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 03:28 PM

1,544 posts, read 925,071 times

Advertisements

Hell bleeping no. I wouldn't want to relive my life with people I've cut out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 10:58 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times
No.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:31 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Would you live your life all over again. The same way and without being aware of living it again???
I may do it. But only up until age 18 and thats it. After age 18 life got crappy and no I would not want to relive it again the same way.

If I could come back as me again with the chance to live my life differently, yes, I'd do that. There's a lot of mistakes I want to correct and wrong turns I want to make up for.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:29 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Hell no! I had VERY abusive parents for starters Why on earth would anyone ever want to relive that crap?

Same here my parents were very abusive as well. I wouldn't want to relive that again.

However, IF I knew what I know now it would be a different story. Being that the OP said that we wouldn't know then I would not.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:45 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
However, IF I knew what I know now it would be a different story. Being that the OP said that we wouldn't know then I would not.
Yep, what would be the point of that?

It is rather like the concept of reincarnation. Reincarnation suggests you return in a new body with no recollection of past experience which is a pointless setup. If I was reincarnated rather than born, yet have no recollection before my birth, then it is a distinction without a difference.

Similarly if I am "reincarnated" into the SAME body and experience with no recollection of the past then it's even more pointless. It's like rewinding a movie and playing it over but with no memory of having seen it before. Why would I care either way, given those parameters?

The most charitable understanding of the OP that I can have is that they were asking whether you would wish your life on yourself. My answer remains no. I hope it accrues some benefit to others and those who will come after me ... that is what gives it a point.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:09 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
I'm having a hard time understanding why someone wouldn't want to do it over again. There is about a 50% chance you could make different choices, even if it has been mapped out exactly the same. There is also about a 50% chance that different environmental factors will react differently to you.

I'm having a hard time understanding why someone would prefer to simply dissipate into nothingness, than to have another chance at any life again.

There are so many great things to simply living:

Feeling the warmth of the sun on your face. Seeing the dark turn to light around you as the sun rises.

The smell of fresh cut grass.

The refreshing quality of ice cold water on a hot summers day, or a good cup of coffee to chase away a chill.

The intimacy of a lover's embrace.

This list could go on and on...

Even if one experienced the most horror any life could offer, surely there must be something good about it, or why would any of us bother to continue living the life we have?

Old 06-29-2016, 07:36 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Never mind.

Last edited by JerZ; 06-29-2016 at 07:52 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 07:55 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Now. This doesn't mean what's happened to me constantly invades my life today. But it took me four decades to get to the "not constantly" phase. It will never go away completely. Do I enjoy the sun now? Sure. Would it be worth it to go through all that again, to feel the sun? --- no. Oblivion for me. I'm good with that.
Well, yes. But I'm not really judging anyone, just because I cant imagine not being willing to have another life. As I said, choices have a 50% chance of being different. Not your personal choice always, but maybe the person affecting you would swing the other way, or get run over by a train, and you would miss having to experience all that.

Sort of like my family - all it would take is 1 person accidentally or simply choosing to - act differently, or be struck by lightening, and childhood would have been a lot closer to something called normal.

All I'm doing is asking for reasons. I'm not demanding any, like, no one forced you to reply.

I'm glad you came through your ordeal. Thanks for sharing why you feel nothingness would be better than risking doing it again and hoping for someone to act differently.

I hope more people would share.

I remember a quote somewhere that said, "Even the God's envy a man's mortality." For me, it made life seem really special.

EDIT: To protect privacy.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:17 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,005 times
My answer to the OP, the various reasons of which are entirely too boring to elaborate upon, is yes.

That my fingertips at this moment can make messages seen across the world is in itself, a miracle...

In this life then if at all possible, may everyone know happiness, good health, be safe, and at ease.

And if unfortunately that is not the case for some of us, in one way or another, that too shall pass.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:22 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Would you live your life all over again. The same way and without being aware of living it again???
as a person who prides himself on being smart, there would be some changes i would make for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy