Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 11:16 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvpix1212 View Post
No one escapes death.
We will all die.
As a materialist atheist - I believe there is nothing but matter in the universe -no god , gods , spirits soul or anything ONLY atoms.

I believe we are our bodies more precisely our brains.
Our consciousness is a result of our brain.
And once we die, and our brain decomposes, that's it, we will never exist or experience anything for all eternity.
How do you handle that fact?.
To me it's terrifying and depressing that I will never experience anything again for all eternity.

...well, it's a beautiful sunny morning here on the Big Island, as soon as i finish my cup of delicious Ka'u coffee, i'll be taking my dogs down to the beach to run them, maybe stop at the farmer's market in Na'alehu on the way home and pick up some fresh fruit and veggies, talk story with some vendor friends of mine...spend a few hours working in my garden, do a little reading before my afternoon nap....today is a good day!

...to answer your question, i rarely think about it...i only concern myself with things i can control, the rest is gonna happen whether i fret over it or not...life is to enjoy, have at it!...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 09:57 AM

8,493 posts, read 6,897,485 times
Deep thinking and pondering the unavoidable fact of non existence only generates worry and fear. In the present moment the morning sky is deep blue and cloudless. No one knows what will happen in the next minute or the decades ahead. In the here and now the mind is clear and liberated from all external things of this world.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:23 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,331 times
Or perhaps something exists beyond our physical deaths. That is a possibility. Considering how limited we are as a species, in terms of our sensory and intellectual capabilities, I'd say there is a vast amount of information and knowledge to which we are not privy (and may never be privy for that matter), so confidently stating that no God or afterlife exists is a bit of a stretch.

Of course, no objective facts exist to support that belief, so I get the non-belief part. But it also seems logical and realistic to have an open mind and to be open to the possibility and not simply dismiss those who do believe as being non-sensical, irrational individuals. The point is we don't know much about anything, actually. We never even experience reality directly (if an objective reality even exists at all); all we do is process sensory information fed to us by our very limited sensory capabilities. Our brains put it all together and give us the false illusion of actually experiencing anything directly. But we are all stuck inside our skulls. Yet many humans like to act as if we have everything all figured out -- all the big questions, the existential questions, whether or not a God or an afterlife exists, etc. -- we have everything all figured out; nothing more to see here -- please move on! LOL

The arrogance of man is impressive -- but it's also comical.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:47 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Being dead is not scary. Getting there....now that's terrifying.

Old 10-23-2019, 04:20 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,788,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I still repeat what I said, you are the first person I ever heard claiming that the big bang was "due to gas and atoms". That is a nonsense, and I have no idea where you think you pulled it from.

Actually you might want to get with the current science on this. Empty space for example has been found to be AWASH with particles simply popping in, and then out, of existence all the time.

That said however, who is actually claiming that "something came from nothing"? No one I know, and certainly science is not claiming this.

ALL that science claims right now is that the data shows that our universe expanded from a singularity. And we simply know NOTHING about that singularity.

More than that is simply not being said. "Something from nothing" is just the way you theists misconstrue it. I would correct this error if I were in your place. But YMMV.

Absolutely there is that "possibility". But not many people I am aware of, least of all me, has been denying that possibility. ALL people like me have been saying is that right here, right now, the sum total of arguments, evidence, data or reasoning on offer to suggest there is a god is.... precisely zero.

You simply have not offered, and likely do not even have, a single SHRED of argument, evidence, data or reasoning to offer that lends even a MODICUM of credibility to the claim that our universe was created by a non-human intelligent and intentional agent.

Have you ANY substantiation AT ALL for this narrative?
The bible version of god doesn't work for me either. I am searching for answers too. Maybe just maybe there are indirect answers to what I am searching for. In science, people know about the existence of dark matter and dark energy through indirect observations. So perhaps the answers are hidden in some unexplained parts of the universe.

This guy articulates his thoughts on the matter well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3_0O-gpeYo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy