Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:23 PM

211 posts, read 641,325 times

Advertisements

The New Times. Pffft. 50% of it, by volume, is advertising for car audio, strip clubs, call girls, and bars. It seldom serves as anything more than reading material while waiting for a table or a bus.

Yet they should be able to repeatedly spin, smear, and slander the Sheriff's office under Freedom of the Press? I don't think so. By that logic, I could start a local newspaper, fund it with advertisements for strip clubs and attorneys, then dedicate the paper to getting [insert politician] fired.

Joe enforces the law.
Joe works for the people of Arizona.
Joe does what he can to make breaking the law embarrassing and unpleasant.

Last time I checked, the New Times does none of those. F-M

I also happen to know that, when a guy doing tech support in Mesa started a Joe Arpaio account on Twitter and began to crack wise with the tweets, Joe reached out to him, invited him in for an interview, and they took pictures together. (The kid still refused to give up the Joe Arpaio Twitter account though.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,562 times
Altus2006
Did you see the President say he was sending 17,000 troops to the Gulf? I'm not minimizing the crisis there but 17,000? And 1,200 for the entire Mexican border???

Old 06-15-2010, 11:21 PM

682 posts, read 2,566,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Altus2006
Did you see the President say he was sending 17,000 troops to the Gulf? I'm not minimizing the crisis there but 17,000? And 1,200 for the entire Mexican border???
Guess it shows where his priorities are and aren't.

There are all kinds of stats showing that people from Yemen, Iran, Afghanistan, Somalia, etc. are crossing over our southern border, many of whom have studied Spanish so they can pass as Mexicans.

Scary!

altus2006

Old 06-16-2010, 06:51 AM

37 posts, read 65,349 times
My Hubby and I are in the process of selling our house (hopefully) We're moving from NY. I wish we had a Joe Sheriff out here. I feel like I'll be in good hands when I get out there! It's too bad he's getting up there in years.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 AM

848 posts, read 1,953,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
Guess it shows where his priorities are and aren't.

There are all kinds of stats showing that people from Yemen, Iran, Afghanistan, Somalia, etc. are crossing over our southern border, many of whom have studied Spanish so they can pass as Mexicans.

Scary!

altus2006
It truly is scary because it's arrestingly obvious the Federal gov is deliberately ignoring the problem. I don't believe the term "social engineering" is the catch phrase of paranoid schizophrenics anymore. There is no sound reason that border remains a festering sore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdarwinsdream View Post
My Hubby and I are in the process of selling our house (hopefully) We're moving from NY. I wish we had a Joe Sheriff out here. I feel like I'll be in good hands when I get out there! It's too bad he's getting up there in years.
I wish we had him or a clone here, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
Joe enforces the law.
Joe works for the people of Arizona.
Joe does what he can to make breaking the law embarrassing and unpleasant.
Exactly what politicians despise. Those are the very reasons he is repeatedly re-elected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Altus2006
Yeah, not too obvious, is it? Sheesh.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:46 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Sheriff Joe should be cloned and parceled out to every county in the country.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:49 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
According to the news, a former manager at sizzler ratted them out to the Sheriff's Department.
It should teach them not to pis* off their employees!

Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio says he plans to launch his 16th crime and immigration sweep on July 30, the day after Arizona's new immigration law is set to take effect.

Crime Sweep Scheduled Day After Immigration Law Takes Effect (http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/immigration/apx_arpaio_crime_immigration_sweep_06162010 - broken link)

Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 755 times
JoninAz's post pretty much covers it. Sheriff Joe is a loose cannon and a megalomaniac. Don't call him a nutcase, though - he's crazy as a fox.

The Sheriff's office didn't seem to give a tinker's damn about illegal immigration until it was identified as a potent political issue. He was sharp enough to recognize the growing alarm amongst the Anglo community at the size and growth of the number of illegal aliens and decided to exploit it for his own political advantage. It worked, too! According to the polls he's the most popular politician in Maricopa County. However, chasing illegals IS about the only thing he does of which I approve. Something needs to be done, and the feds are unwilling to enforce the law.

He lost any possibility of gaining my support with his efforts to intimidate the news media, even if it's the New Times, which, despite the comments of an above poster, does some useful investigative work, and has the industry awards to prove it. It's an anti-establishment gadfly rag, sure, but we, the people, need those sometimes; they can bring such interesting things to light. Throwing editors and publishers into jail when they're investigating your real estate dealings is just so brownshirt, don'tcha think? Refusing to release documents when under court order to do so is just plain criminal.

Joe's 'tough-on-crime' stance is all very well, but it's resulted in millions of dollars in legal expenses, lawsuits, and a number of deaths in his jails. Is that what we really want?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:24 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
I'm surprised there are not more "anti-Joe" posts on here. Usually any thread with his name in it will bring people out of the woodwork to bash and accuse. Usually there are two or three Nazi references. It's really refreshing to see a Joe Arpaio thread without a bunch of unnecessary negativity.

I don't think Joe is the best Sheriff there has ever been, but I think he does a good job overall and I appreciate his no-nonsense approach and hard-line on illegal immagration (which is probably the biggest problem Arizona faces). He's tough, and in today's politically correct culture, that seems like something that's harder to come by.

Oh, and to the poster that said "What is Jan (GED) Brewer waiting for?"--I agree that I wish even more was being done to secure the boarder, and I agree that Brewer is not the best governer there ever was (although I think she is an upgrade over Napolitano, for sure)--please, don't knock someone because they have a GED (to be honest, I have no idea what Brewer's education is). You don't know someone's circumstances or what they have done since. I can guarantee you there are many people with a GED who are smarter and more successful than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area