Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 02:07 PM

909 posts, read 1,063,262 times

Advertisements

I went to the shopping center near Tolleson (Best buy, Borders, etc.) and the area seemed o.k.

I see online that the houses are going for pretty reasonable or better.

What's the deal? What's the downside to the Tolleson area that I didn't get to see??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 02:40 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,780 times
location, location, location. If you never go to Phoenix, Tempe or Scottsdale you'd be just fine out there. I'd hate sitting in a traffic jam on the freeway wasting my time and wear and tear on my car to live there. I think your insurance could be higher, too. I have friends that live in Chandler and Gilbert (One in Carefree). I can't imagine sitting in a car that long to get to Phoenix.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:44 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,821 times
Gas prices inevitably are going to go higher. We are not running out of oil. We are running out of cheap oil. And Tolleson is way out there. Apache Junction the same way. Beautiful areas.

I had a girlfriend and her friend interested in real estate in Dalllas and Myrtle Beach a few years ago because houses were inexpensive! LOL. My reply was that mud hut houses in the Amazon basin are also inexpensive! So why not buy there?

Old 07-11-2010, 05:56 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Gas prices inevitably are going to go higher. We are not running out of oil. We are running out of cheap oil. And Tolleson is way out there. Apache Junction the same way. Beautiful areas.

I had a girlfriend and her friend interested in real estate in Dalllas and Myrtle Beach a few years ago because houses were inexpensive! LOL. My reply was that mud hut houses in the Amazon basin are also inexpensive! So why not buy there?
I guess it's relative. Tolleson is closer to downtown than Chandler, Gilbert, maybe even Ahwatukee and certainly most of the places people are looking at homes in the valley. Tolleson is quite conveniently located adjacent to both the 101, and I10 and the future 101/202? around S. Mountain. There is considerable shopping in the immediate area, close proximity to Westgate for entertainment, Banner Health, and Estrella CC as well.

Anyway, the north side of I-10 near Tolleson is better than the south side. Approach with caution. Many areas here look nice when new only to have a declining future.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:22 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,821 times
Oh - wait. I was thinking of Tonopah. Okay. Discount my post on it being very far then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I guess it's relative. Tolleson is closer to downtown than Chandler, Gilbert, maybe even Ahwatukee and certainly most of the places people are looking at homes in the valley. Tolleson is quite conveniently located adjacent to both the 101, and I10 and the future 101/202? around S. Mountain. There is considerable shopping in the immediate area, close proximity to Westgate for entertainment, Banner Health, and Estrella CC as well.

Anyway, the north side of I-10 near Tolleson is better than the south side. Approach with caution. Many areas here look nice when new only to have a declining future.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 PM

909 posts, read 1,063,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

Declining future? What happens to them? Low class people take over? Drugs and gangs and crime? Too many houses too close together? What???? (I'm from back east...you'll have to help me on this one)

Old 07-11-2010, 07:44 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
Declining future? What happens to them? Low class people take over? Drugs and gangs and crime? Too many houses too close together? What???? (I'm from back east...you'll have to help me on this one)
All of the above. The homes go through a sprial of foreclosures, people moving up to nicer places, rentals taking over, crime , etc. Sometimes they stabilize as lower income places that aren't too bad. Sometimes they just get worse. It can happen pretty quickly - only a few years if conditions are right. It is nothing short of amazing how neighborhoods decline in this area. Many of the starter home neighborhoods throughout the valley are now not very desirable.

Tolleson has a history of one of the poorest neighborhoods in the metro area. It was never very big - basically a place where migrant laborers and working class Hispanics were segregated to, but expanded riding the housing boom wave of a few years ago. Many new homes and shopping plazas went up. Then the recession hit and prices fell, drastically in many cases, and abandoned and rental homes took over. This was mostly south of I-10.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 AM

894 posts, read 2,202,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Oh - wait. I was thinking of Tonopah. Okay. Discount my post on it being very far then...
This is my lane...The majority of homes in Tonopah are Manufactured homes. The "boom" in tonopah happened between 2000-2006, just like in the Valley. Manufactured homes are not built nearly as well as stick built homes, so they are starting to fall apart.

Tonopah is far, very very far from where the "jobs" are at. You are looking at 50 miles from Phoenix.

The stick built houses that are in Tonopah, they went up just as the economy was deteriorating, and the builder/owner is most likely bankrupt.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
yeah - tolleson actually has a really good location ... the only problem is that the area of I-10/101 which is the shopping center you mentioned is pretty much the out edges of tolleson on the fringe of avondale

tolleson is a pretty small city, most of which sits south of I-10 - i think they have about 5,000 residents

they have an industrial/warehousing history with good access it I-10, MC 85 and the railroad

If you want to see tolleson start at van buren street around 85th - 98th ave and work a little bit N/S from there

i've heard both good and bad for the area .... seem to hear more bad than good though

seems like there is some potential there, but that doesn't necessarily translate

it hasn't really seemed to grow beyond this image

Old 07-12-2010, 12:34 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
I live in Tolleson and am currently trying to short-sell.

It hasn't been too bad crime-wise, but it's not great either. On my street, property and nuisance crimes were replaced with vacancies. The homes here were affordable, and in my opinion, affordability is related to lower classes of people.

Schools here are poor. I always intended to pay for private school, but those who don't care much about education may choose a location like Tolleson.

About 1/3 to 1/2 of my neighborhood is distressed in some way: vacant, foreclosure process, etc. The only buyers I've noticed are landlords or flippers. It really does take just a few years for a neighborhood to tank dramatically.

I like the access from this area, but if it doesn't come with a premium, the class of people can keep it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area