Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:19 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,877 times

Advertisements

I don't think you can say he will make max $60k in IT without knowing exactly what he does. IT is such a broad category.
To the OP, stick to Tempe, Scottsdale and north Phoenix.
As for the traffic... I used to think it was bad until I visited LA.
It would be a good idea to secure a
job before making the move. The economy here was based on construction and retail so things aren't particularly well. However IT is still solid. A good friend of mine is an IT recruiter so PM me if you want his info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,546 times
First and foremost, let me say that I'm a HUGE believer of research and only wish people would question and look into claims more often rather than reading once and believing. I've seen claims here that are totally not true and lots of assumptions/judgments/opinions.

That being said, to address your points:
I understand the East Coast is frequently overcast, but I feel the sun is to Phoenix as clouds are to Boston. Seriously, I would kill to have decent rain by this point. Today it looked like it would pour, but rained lightly for a few minutes, then stopped. Now it's nearly 2 AM, still over 90 degrees and humid. I feel weather works both ways.

I've been looking for work in San Diego as well as other places, and haven't found many opportunities there either. Depending on what you like, there are other sunny/warmer cities to consider. I can't vouch for the weather, but I heard Austin has a growing IT/tech sector and they're doing better in this recession. I know you said you ruled out Texas, but it could be worth a shot. Anyway, I think that high-priced San Diego thing may be a bit overblown... I do think it will take a little more effort to find something less expensive though.

You said you want to settle down, but perhaps you should really look into an area first. This is where that research thing comes into play, because personally I don't have a good feeling about what is about to happen to Phoenix. If you can, you should look up as much stuff as possible that has happened here just in 2010... and I mean good and bad, then analyze it through your own psyche and see if it's a good fit. You seem ready to move, but if you can hold off for another year at least, I would. That's mostly because it's an election year in Arizona and maybe you could get more time to see if you like the direction in which the state is going. In the mean time, look up Phoenix/Arizona news through places like azcentral.com, or national affiliates like CBS, ABC, FOX, etc.

Phoenix is much cheaper than most other cities and part of that is the housing collapse. Speaking from experience, your electric bill is going to be much higher in the summer. Gas is pretty high too, so if you have to commute that can be costly and public transit isn't really feasible depending on where you live/work. You mentioned Arizona's job market in relation to Boston's... but here's an article that may help:

Arizona job recovery looks slow

Also, if you can find $80K-$90K jobs you'd be set. I don't look for jobs in your field, but I rarely ever come across a job that pays that much here, though my field usually goes for $60K-$75K in other cities. One reason I want to move is because work is so hard to come by in my field. In any case, a popular job site in Phoenix is jobing.com and I know of a few other places not so mainstream people use for finding work.

Also, the heat is very bad here, dry or not. I think if you want to live in a desert that comes with the territory. Personally I think there are 1000+ other reasons not to move here besides that, but it does tend to make people crankier. I recall a news article from last year saying June 2009 was very productive in Phoenix because it was unusually cool and people were in better moods. That was an extreme rarity though.

In any case, you said you were pale and avoid the sun usually. I don't know if you sunburn easily or not, but I'm white and definitely have a somewhat darker shade and I usually stay indoors except to go have a smoke on the patio.

I do have a burning question though: if you're a homebody, why does it matter where you live if you prefer being indoors? It reminds me of a quote from Paradise Lost: "What matter where if I be still the same?" I'm just curious because it would be farther from friends and family, no white Christmas, no autumn leaves and other stuff other ecosystems provide.

As far as where to live... a lot of it looks the same, so you could pretty much find the same house anywhere with few exceptions. I really don't know where IT companies are concentrated. Honestly, unless corporate hubs around employment clusters throughout town offer positions, I can't think of anything specific. I guess if fantasy becomes reality and you find a job here, you should know about where you'll be working and then go from there. You could always arrange more permanent accommodations later.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:57 AM

300 posts, read 952,390 times
If I had a 100K salary no way would I move to PHX unless I knew I was going to get a similar job. IT market is here pretty tough.
Phoenix is a like a large subrub, may of the surrounding towns look the same, just the street signs change. No real city living here. Very hot weather, lots of sun. If this is what your looking for Phoenix might be for you.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:23 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,475 times
I can't imagine 2 more opposite cities than Boston and Phoenix. If you enjoy Boston's historical and intellectual vibe, it will take effort to find SOME of it here, though it does exist. Generalizing a city or area is never completely accurate, but you'll find the majority here are survivalists and worker-bees, while the minority are intellectual and ambitious.

For me, it's a blessing in some ways. Coming from Chicago, it takes more effort on my part to meet people, find world-class cultural events, etc. I'm more of an extrovert than I used to be, by necessity, and I'm probably better for it.

Consider renting first. I'm not sure how segregated the Boston "shady areas" are from the safe or affluent, but here it seems there are shady pockets everywhere with a much smaller buffer zone than older cities.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:07 PM

13 posts, read 36,324 times
Default Yes!!! Do it!

I grew up in Framingham, my husband in Sudbury. We bought that $350,000 fixer upper in Wayland for the school system and sank that $80,000 into it, only to feel like we lived in a run-down old shack with no light and slanted floors paying 5,000 in taxes. We found ourselves envying those around us who had nicer houses. Our kids never made it to that great school system because we couldn't stomach another winter taking them to the Natick mall playspace three times a week and decided to move away. The museums are too expensive, the library is not a place for boys (for long) and play dates seemed elusive to us. We looked at each other and said, "why are we doing this?" and then searched the country for a place to move to without winter. The way we looked at it was, if we had a nice house to spend 6 months of winter in, or if we had a crappy house but spent all of our time outside, we could have stayed in Massachusetts.

We moved to Florida for a good job offer and stayed for four months and the job was terrible. Got another offer in Scottsdale after sending out resumes b/c high school friends had moved to Chandler and told us to come. We hated Florida, except for the picturesque beaches, and the bugs and humidity were oppressive. The people seemed unhealthy and rude. In fact, the drivers there were the rudest I've ever seen!

Moved here and noticed immediately the better weather, healthier lifestyle and nicer people. Also almost no mosquitos! I work in healthcare, and my patients have all told me over the spring "just you wait for the summer. . . you haven't had a summer yet, you don't know what you are in for." Well let me tell you, it is now mid July, and Im still wondering what they are talking about!! They DO NOT UNDERSTAND how HORRIBLE the climate in Boston is and what we put up with. TRUST ME on that. It is hot, yes, but it is bearable in the way that you can run out for milk, stand at the gas pump, go for a swim, water your bushes. You can't do that in January in MA. We just came back this week from New England for a week and it was equally hot out plus there were cloudy, dreary and rainy humid days. Here, its beautiful. I love the mountain views so I think you should look for an area with the best views. Further out of the city you can feel more out in the open, like on a ranch, and in the city there is more congestion, urban life. Depends on what you like. I will eventually miss the seasons and the ocean but the sunshine makes it worth it.

Traffic can get pretty bad, but its definitely worse in Boston. Like in MA, you want to line up the best commute possible to avoid it. It really does take as long as everybody says to drive from place to place. Do not drive fast here though!! I've had five tickets!

Youll find some great houses here, there is no comparison, but to get your dream house, you will find it is still pretty expensive. Personally, I would not buy until you have been here a few months to get used to commuting and community living. The choices are so different here, you have to experience it to know what you like. . . ie living on a golf course, having views, living in a community gated or not, having a pool, which city has your vibe, etc. Plus, if you are ever thinking of having kids you might want to think about schools etc. Schools are really alarmingly bad, as is healthcare, and Im not crazy about the politics, but I still think it was a big trade up to move here.

Best of luck.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,819 times
I grew up in the Allston/Brighton area and then later in the Brockton area. Lots of people thought I was silly because my major motivation for moving was due to the weather. I would have done it sooner if it were possible back then. If you haven't experienced for many years the relentless cold to the bone feeling or constantly having to dig out your car and your house for 5 to 6 months of the year,then you really can't understand. It has been almost 20 years since I moved here as a single mom with 3 young children. I have never looked back. It was definitely the right move for me. I have travelled and visited most of the U.S. and I still don't want to live anywhere else. I think the best thing about living in Phoenix is that when you get a little bored or tired of the weather or you think there is a lack of interesting things to do, you have the ability to travel only a few hours in several directions for a change of pace and then return home refreshed and glad that the sun is still shining.

I may be making Phoenix sound like a fairy tale, which it is far from, but for me personally I 100% like living here. Good luck with your decision and I vote for you to go for it!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
It seems there's a big difference between people who've lived here for a short time, probably in the 1-3 year range, maybe 4, and people who've been here over 10 years. Living in the desert for a prolonged period seems to make people cranky--the dryness is great at first, but after a while, you really want rain, hair that isn't like a witch's and a nasal mucous membranes that feels "normal." And, skin that isn't like an alligator's. It's not 1 or 2 or even 5 summers that is oppressive, but after 10 or so summers, it becomes like a tune you don't like but are forced to repeat in your head over and over,day after day.
There are good things, too, access to everything, and places to go and you need never get bored here. It's easy to get around here, too. If you have family/friends, you can do better out here, I think. There's something about the west that feels very isolatory, every man for himself type of thing, ride off on your horse and don't ask the neighbors if you lose your hitch or something. If you're young, I think that can be exciting and you can feel very free about it all. It's a transient place, too--people coming/going, not very "stable" or solid, but that can be good for some, too. And, if you don't like something, you can keep looking and find something to replace it...again and again.
I think people need different things at different points in their lives;what's right today might be wrong 10 years from now and visa/versa.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
It seems there's a big difference between people who've lived here for a short time, probably in the 1-3 year range, maybe 4, and people who've been here over 10 years. Living in the desert for a prolonged period seems to make people cranky--the dryness is great at first, but after a while, you really want rain, hair that isn't like a witch's and a nasal mucous membranes that feels "normal." And, skin that isn't like an alligator's. It's not 1 or 2 or even 5 summers that is oppressive, but after 10 or so summers, it becomes like a tune you don't like but are forced to repeat in your head over and over,day after day.
There are good things, too, access to everything, and places to go and you need never get bored here. It's easy to get around here, too. If you have family/friends, you can do better out here, I think. There's something about the west that feels very isolatory, every man for himself type of thing, ride off on your horse and don't ask the neighbors if you lose your hitch or something. If you're young, I think that can be exciting and you can feel very free about it all. It's a transient place, too--people coming/going, not very "stable" or solid, but that can be good for some, too. And, if you don't like something, you can keep looking and find something to replace it...again and again.
I think people need different things at different points in their lives;what's right today might be wrong 10 years from now and visa/versa.
Yeah, right. What do you know anyway!!!? I have been here in the desert for nearly 40 years and I am not cranky, thank you!

Seriously, I think most people who have lived anywhere for 10 years get tired of the negative aspects of life there.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yeah, right. What do you know anyway!!!? I have been here in the desert for nearly 40 years and I am not cranky, thank you!

Seriously, I think most people who have lived anywhere for 10 years get tired of the negative aspects of life there.
After 40 years, the cranky factor must grow exponentially. Just kidding.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
Quote:
Generalizing a city or area is never completely accurate, but you'll find the majority here are survivalists and worker-bees, while the minority are intellectual and ambitious.
Perhaps you should stop generalizing, then. (Shakes head side-to-side....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area