Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,438 times

Advertisements

Hey hows it going? I just joined and am thinking of moving to the Phoenix area. I had a few questions. For work I do high voltage underground cable splicing. I am nationaly certified and completed a 3 year apprenticeship through my local union. I have been doing this work for 7 years now and absolutly love it. Does anybody work for the power company out there or know anyone that does? Do they hire often?Is there alot of underground elctrical out there? Or is it all mostly overhead? What are good areas to live in? Family oriented neighborhoods? What is the average salary for the area? Is the cost of living relative to the pay.?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any links to the power company about jobs or realtors or towns. I am hoping to come out to visit the area over the summer. Any suggestions on where to stay would be great as well.Thanks again in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:37 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Check out the SRP and APS sites. They might provide some info for you.

www.srpnet.com

APS - Electricity, Power, Energy Services for Arizona Homes and Businesses

Old 03-14-2012, 12:09 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,340 times
I'll try to help as much as I can. I don't know a whole lot about electrical professions but if your a skilled worker in your field you should have no problem getting a decent salary. My guess would be any where from 40-50K. Are you an electrical engineer by any chance because your pay would be any where from 55-70K. Salaries aren't that high in Phoenix unless you're very educated or experienced. As far as family places to live I recommend:

North Phoenix: Far north Phoenix just west and east of I17 has great neighborhoods with a suburban feel but you're still in the city if that makes sense and decent schools.
Chandler/Gilbert/Ahwatukee: Typical Family suburbs with a variety of great neighborhoods in all price ranges with excellent schools and youth sports. Very family oriented!
North Peoria/North Glendale: Great family areas with excellent schools. Less congested than the east valley suburbs. Close to mountains and Lake Pleasant only minutes away.
Goodyear: Pretty new suburb for the most part that has a good reputation so far. Nice neighborhoods and master planned communities. Schools are decent. The only thing Goodyear lacks is good shopping. The closest good mall is 20-25 min away up the loop 101.
Scottsdale: The least suburban feeling suburb that is pretty urban for the most part. If you can afford the price tag it's definitely a nice place to call home. Plenty of upscale shopping, nightlife, restaurants

Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
IBEW has an office on N 7th St.. The electricians are hurting from the construction slump. Tons of cabling tools at the pawnshop. Make some calls....cost of living is low here, unless you drive far to work. My job is seasonal/part-time/temporary/hourly with no benefits, but I can save enough to leave for three months in the dreaded Summer, because I have no rent or mortgage. I would be sweating out apartment rent in the NE, with no money for going out or having health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area