Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:37 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I heard where these roof rats are infesting Tempe neighborhoods now. The best way to avoid a rat problem is to keep your yard clean and discourage them from wanting to nest. Keep citrus fruit off the ground, and don't throw scraps in the yard for the birds because rats will show up as well. If all else fails, call a professional.
Good advice. I've heard they are also attracted to dog kibble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:42 PM

523 posts, read 937,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Good advice. I've heard they are also attracted to dog kibble.
You are right, keeping them away from dog kibble and citrus are good starting points.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:00 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
After four summers in Tucson, we had pack rats this year. I was horrified. We have no fruit trees, no pets, no debris whatsoever on our desert landscaping, we feed no birds. The exterminator we use determined they were coming into our block-fenced back yard under the gate. He couldn't figure why they wanted to be there. I actually closed up the space by stacking bricks in front of and behind the gate to close up the gap and we set traps all over the yard. We couldn't use our gate all summer, but I'd rather have the inconvenience than rats. I HATE RATS!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:42 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Aw, the little desert rats are sort of cute.
Get a couple of cats, let them out, they will detour the rats from your yard. Don't get wimpy cats though, adopt a few large strays and feed them well, they will protect your yard, they are territorial. My gf had some rats in Scottsdale, got a few cats, end of problem. Rats hate cats! They go to the other homes, the ones without cats. lol They also will protect your cars wires, your cats will sleep on or under your cars enough to smell up the space and detract the rats.
Of course you might find a dead one now and then. Can you say Ish? ha ha

Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondeme View Post
I live in W. Mesa and just came in from making sure my cat had food for the night. I doubt if he'll be hungry tonight judging by the fresh meat entre he ate earlier today. I found a rather large rat head with large ears and the thicker part of a rat tail on the patio near his winter "home". (We hang a 100 watt light bulb under a metal table that's covered by a packing blanket with his cube bed underneath) I was just looking online to see what a roof rat looks like. We have 3 wonderful large orange trees and many of our neighbors also have citrus so figured it was just a matter of time.
Good kitty! Got to love a cat that works!

Old 12-23-2010, 12:28 PM

523 posts, read 937,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
After four summers in Tucson, we had pack rats this year. I was horrified. We have no fruit trees, no pets, no debris whatsoever on our desert landscaping, we feed no birds. The exterminator we use determined they were coming into our block-fenced back yard under the gate. He couldn't figure why they wanted to be there. I actually closed up the space by stacking bricks in front of and behind the gate to close up the gap and we set traps all over the yard. We couldn't use our gate all summer, but I'd rather have the inconvenience than rats. I HATE RATS!
This is the type of problem we have been having in our neighborhood too. Last year it was scorpions, and now rats have become more prominent.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:27 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
This is the type of problem we have been having in our neighborhood too. Last year it was scorpions, and now rats have become more prominent.
It is good to know that some use is being made of all those empty houses in your neighborhood. Count your blessings. In much of the SW valley, the air is so bad even the rats won't live there.

Now that I think about it, we should all be counting our blessings. With all the U-6 unemployment in Phoenix coupled with cutbacks in government aid because of the worst budget problems in the country, those rats are probably an important source of food to thousands.

Do you eat them?

Last edited by Ponderosa; 12-23-2010 at 02:35 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 04:21 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

Now that I think about it, we should all be counting our blessings. With all the U-6 unemployment in Phoenix coupled with cutbacks in government aid because of the worst budget problems in the country, those rats are probably an important source of food to thousands.

Do you eat them?
Speaking of which, I've heard that in Louisiana there was a campaign to try to get people to eat the swamp rodent called 'nutria', because they felt the nutria population was getting out of control. Apparently, due to their burrowing/eating habits, the nutria can cause much destruction to coastal marshes. Not sure if the campaign is still in full force or not, but the Lousiana Wildlife and Fisheries Dept does still have some recipes on their website: Nutria Control Program - Nutria.com

The capybara is another rodent that sometimes gets eaten in parts of South America. But I could never eat one. I stayed at a farm while traveling in Venezuela in which they actually had a capybara as a pet (as well as an anteater who resided in the bathroom during the day to keep it clean, of all things. Imagine taking a whiz and having an anteater in the same outhouse! Very strange.) and they were just as affectionate, intelligent, and playful as dogs.

So one never knows what the future holds!

Anyone know if the roof rats here tend to be rabid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area