Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 09:26 AM

164 posts, read 772,637 times

Advertisements

Geez, I hardly ever see tats and only know 2 people with them (one a retired military). I guess it must depend on what circle you travel in (something to keep in mind in case you think that circle may change). It's not a big deal to me, but figure someone hiring is looking at you thinking "does this person fit in here?" In other words, will you conform to expected behavior to their corporate culture. If you are showing off a big tat it's like yelling, "LOOK AT ME, I WON'T CONFORM TO ANYONE!!" (no matter how conforming it actually is in some groups). So whether it's official policy or not you're less likely to get hired if you have visible tats.

Same thing with bikers -- may be the sweetest most law-abiding guys, but if it's late and you're walking down a city street you're more likely to walk on the side with the guy in the biz suit because even if he turned out to be a serial killer, the biz suit yells "conforms to societal norms" and the leather chaps say, "non-conformist" which means they aren't as predictable. Probably all goes back to when people started living in closer proximity and couldn't go all fight-or-flight every time a stranger entered your personal space.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:48 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
"Rarely see a tattoo"??? Please! I'm rarely seeing someone WITHOUT a tattoo!! Tats are everywhere.

Go to any college campus and spend a couple of minutes - you will get an eyeful!
We live close to a college and I still rarely see tats, not even behind the counter in a Starbucks. On the rare occasion we do see one it's usually on some obvious low-life or a local musician.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:50 AM

966 posts, read 1,346,736 times
I have seen too many pretty women ruin thier looks with tats and tramp stamps, sorry, but I have yet to see a good looking tattoo. If I was hiring for a company and I had a choice between 2 applicants, I would pick the one that does not look like they belong in a side show.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:17 AM

34 posts, read 84,975 times
im glad that tattoos are becoming very popular here (tattoo shops springing up EVERYWHERE here now)AS i will blend in . About 20 years ago i got tattoos on my arms when i was in the army and its blighted my life ever since! i have a huge amount of long sleeve shirts and lost one or 2 potential girlfriends once they saw i had tattoos . one tattoo is a tiger and one a bird of paradise , so not offensive but i wish id not had them done

the only one i Wish i had got was 2 eyes,on the soles of my feet

Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
I have seen too many pretty women ruin thier looks with tats and tramp stamps, sorry, but I have yet to see a good looking tattoo. If I was hiring for a company and I had a choice between 2 applicants, I would pick the one that does not look like they belong in a side show.
I have a feeling your "hiring theory" is more common than not, WPN.

As for "pretty woman ruin their looks" . . . nothing looks more unappealing than an older, otherwise attractive woman sporting a couple of "sagging" and/or faded tattoos.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:58 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
My particular pet peeve are pretty young girls with those U shaped nose ring things with shiny metal ends coming out of each nostril. I mean, really. Does ANYBODY find those attractive?

Old 09-26-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
My particular pet peeve are pretty young girls with those U shaped nose ring things with shiny metal ends coming out of each nostril. I mean, really. Does ANYBODY find those attractive?
Not I, Kdog.

What about the HUGE hole in the ear lobe about the size of a quarter?

Old 09-26-2010, 03:41 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
What about the HUGE hole in the ear lobe about the size of a quarter?
Well, at least that's functional; you can drag them around by it if you have to.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:17 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,874 times
school districts are heading that way, now....insisting they be covered up. a friend of mone wears a band aid on hers...she has a few and the guys with them on their arms wear long sleeve shirts all the time!!! even in the summer and it gets hot. we thought it would be for new hires when this rule started but then they said it was everyone. i think it is a shame to do that and lose a good teacher becuase of some tattoo. then the controversy over, "But it was a military one" . To me it didn't matter if it was a cross, a flag, or a skull. I guess it is a matter of rude or vulgar langauge and imagery if you work with kdis, but then again, who says what it vulgar or inappropriate.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Well, at least that's functional; you can drag them around by it if you have to.
. . . or chain them to their work station?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area