Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:45 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,781,476 times

Advertisements

A friend's daughter is insisting on a tattoo. He asked me what I though about it. I said it seemed like a simple question of economics. That would automatically eliminate you from working certain jobs in Phoenix.

I though maybe we could put our heads together and come up with a list of employers, who will not allow visible tattoos or piercings.

Anyone care to start?

Old 09-24-2010, 12:02 AM

14 posts, read 19,836 times
The list of companies that do allow them might be shorter.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:05 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
A friend's daughter is insisting on a tattoo. He asked me what I though about it. I said it seemed like a simple question of economics. That would automatically eliminate you from working certain jobs in Phoenix.

I though maybe we could put our heads together and come up with a list of employers, who will not allow visible tattoos or piercings.

Anyone care to start?
Well, I am in hospitality, so I can say for certain.... Marriott, Wyndham and Best Western brands do not permit visible tattoos.

There is probably about a jillion others.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-24-2010, 04:10 AM

382 posts, read 1,356,127 times
She can get one where it's easily covered up, and make it small. Better to know where she's getting it done and by whom, than have her go behind his back (we all know it happens) and get ripped off, bad work, and/or an infection.

I have tattoo's and no one would be the wiser. My sister was a para-legal and didn't have any problems with her employer, and she's covered most every where except the face. The problem to getting them on the arms is that you have to have long sleeves, which is what she did. It worked out since they always kept the office cold.

If he doesn't want her to get one, he can simply tell her NO, and let that be that. No need to make excuses or reasons to fit his argument.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:31 AM

What about school cafeteria workers?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:46 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
This is America. Go ahead. Tattoo up. Pierce your face. Loop you ears. Have a ball.

Don't expect to be successful in any career unless you become a rock star.

Don't expect the regular folks to accept your youthful craziness.

My cousin's son is an intelligent young man. He is in a band, which isn't going anywhere. His father's wishes for him were high, since he has above average intelligence.

His father allowed him to get "fangs" in his bottom lip when he was just 15 years old. Next came his 1st tattoo. Then the ear lobe stretching, which are now about two inches in diameter. His arms, neck, legs, back, chest and well, almost every other part of his body are covered with tattoos.

He is working in a factory (night shift) and will probably work there for the next 30-40 years in the shadows with no opportunity for anything else.

He looks like what would have been in a freak show a few decades ago. He has made himself 99% unemployable in any professional setting.

This is his problem, not potential employers. You reap what you sow.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:53 AM

It seems like Sprout's and Trader Joe's allow that look a little bit. I doubt they make enough to support themselves, though.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:23 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,705 times
Small tattoos that can be easily hidden by normal dress should not be a problem for most employers.
If she wants to show it by having them displayed blatantly it could very well be a problem unless she wants to make a career of working in a biker bar.
I have nothing against biker bars. I've been in a few.
But in todays work places, employers shy away from any appearence that might be disgusting to some people and want employees to look "professional".

Old 09-24-2010, 07:32 AM

164 posts, read 772,697 times
SO far what's out: hospitality, front office work anywhere professional, TSA and other gov't agencies that interact w/ public...

If she's under 18 "no" works. If she's over he should focus on mitigation -- encourage her to have it somewhere semi-private that's easy and comfy to cover for work but exposed when she wants it to be. Avoid the belly -- there are pics on the web what a pregnancy does to those. (Eewww!) And if she wants an epidural, don't get one covering her lower spine (anesthesiologists often won't go thru them so she better enjoy unmedicated birth (if she wants kids some day)).

Old 09-24-2010, 07:39 AM

131 posts, read 307,601 times
I have 2 small ones, 1 on my shoulder and one on my hip (not planning to have kids). They are easily hidden and I work in a catholic hospital so they are prohibited from being out in the open. I know some folks here who cover them with bandaids on their ankle. Moral of the story, she should get one where she can cover up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area