Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:45 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2now View Post
lol, there are other places close to those cities besides phoenix dear. Im pretty sure any place is more diverse than Charlottle, lol. If you really want diversity you wont really be interested in phoenix. Its either really really white, or really really Mexican. And once in a blue moon you will see an African American. There are not areas where its a nice "mixture" which you may have idealized in your mind. Ive lived here 14 years. Yes there is everything to do here, Phoenix is huge!
I live in Goodyear. The population is predominantly white, but I don't think I have ever been to a restaurant, mall, or movie theatre around here where I have not seen at least one black person (other than my wife). Mixed couples and kids are also common - they seem to be everywhere in Phoenix. Yeah, for sure, the numbers are not large but it hardly is once in a blue moon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by where2now View Post
lol, there are other places close to those cities besides phoenix dear. Im pretty sure any place is more diverse than Charlottle, lol. If you really want diversity you wont really be interested in phoenix. Its either really really white, or really really Mexican. And once in a blue moon you will see an African American. There are not areas where its a nice "mixture" which you may have idealized in your mind. Ive lived here 14 years. Yes there is everything to do here, Phoenix is huge!

As a just turned 40 year old single woman.....you feel my pain about North Carolina. Yes it is my home and it will always be home....but I really dont resonate with it... I think my problem is that I have just outgrowned the state...."Been there done that to everything......Plus just dont want to live in 1 place my whole life... I have been fortunate to fly out to Phoenix on business as well as pleasure.....Gotta say Phoenix rocks in my opinion.. and this is coming from an AA female......Yes the AA is population is sparce...but in my opinion...that just a minute thing...Phoenix is a gorgeous/scenic city with lots to do..

Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 AM

24 posts, read 87,257 times
azriverfan - Hey, are you reading this and could you please reply to my question? Anyone know "azriverfan" and can let them know there voice is needed...

And I would would maybe venture to ask for those AA (or non-white) can please just give us an idea of what the worts days are like - specifically because of your color... Meaning, that your experience was not good specifically because you looked different... And come'on, we've all had those moments... I think that is really at the heart of all the "Is it a good idea for me to move (because I'm AA, etc)" questions / postings... Thoughts?

Thanks

Old 01-20-2011, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,217 times
My best advice is before you move anywhere do your research, its worth it. Look at the political views, demographics, crime, etc. Always assume that where you move your going to be there for a lifetime. There are far less black hair care and beauty stores. Black History Month...whats that?? Black anything rarely exist. Rich in Native American & Mexican culture. Some people I know have mentioned job discrimination against those that arent bilingual.

The weather here is great!!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,838 times
I was born and raised here. I have also traveled to 40 states and unless you're from the South, the Northeast, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, or Houston, you won't see much difference here in the amount of blacks you encounter day to day.

As I said in a prior post, the black population is scattered here. Out of 4.3 million people there are probably about 200,000 blacks, about 100,000 Asians, and about 1.4 million Hispanics. About 57% of the population is white.

Phoenix has always had an established black population but as in LA the hispanic population overshadowed it. it has never been anything like the areas I mentioned above, nor is anywhere in the west like that.

You want diversity (which means here areas where there are a lot of blacks and hispanics everywhere you go), go to Metrocenter Mall, Desert Sky Mall, Arizona Mills Outlet Mall, Fiesta Mall, Christown Mall. Go anywhere in the Maryvale area which is central West Phoenix, go to the shopping centers on 16th St and Southern, 24th Street and Baseline, 51st Ave and Baseline, Wal-Mart on Kyrene Rd and Elliot in Tempe, 38th St and Thomas, 35th Ave and Bethany Home, and the Avondale store.

Goodyear and Avondale have a black population of over 10%. There are 15 or so black beauty supply stores. While not as many as some places in the South, its enough. There are at least 30-40 black beauty and barber shops, and that is not counting stylists renting chairs in white shops or African braiders working at home.

Major cities like Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle, or Portland don't have any more black presence than Phoenix. And because of the large Hispanic population, Phoenix has a more ethnic feel to it than many other major cities that are not heavily black. The white population is nearing minority status here, and that may make this place become more politically liberal.

Even in Scottsdale you rarely go anywhere without seeing several blacks. That is the case all over town.

Mixed race dating has been strong here since the 70's. California has always been the same too.No one (whites) turns their heads at blacks here.

All the black concerts and comedians come to town.

Now the politics in Maricopa County is another story. Good Ole white boys have dominated the political landscape here for years and with the advent of the Tea Party, they are resorting to dirty politics to keep the white poulation in the majority. They have made it harder to vote (democratic), and the SB1070 fiasco is a way to make white people scared of mexicans so that they would show up at the polls and vote Republican.

Historically getting MLK day was an issue, a prior governor was impeached who was part of this good ole boys network in the 90's, and these people who manipulate the statehouse are right wing crooks. They are much of the reason Phoenix does not have a strongly entrenched black leadership community. many blacks have become tokens for these good ole white boys in order to personally advance themselves. In Las Vegas it is just the opposite. blacks organize.

Plus Arizona is a right to work state, and the absence of a unionized workforce has influenced the politics to the right, along with the 13% Mormon population and the older Midwesterners who have moved here from rural conservative states.

The Attorney General in the 90's said that Arizona would do anything in their power not to become another Los Angeles. All the negative news here increased after President Obama chose Governor Janet Napolitano to be chief of Homeland Security. She vetoed everything the good ole boys tried to make law, and with her gone and Jan Brewer as governor, the state is really doing bad things for private and political gain.

It's just a matter of time before these crooked politicians are put out. The demographic shift in the population won't tolerate them much longer. Within 10 years I think people of color will have a greater influence politically here.

Just a little history.

Don't worry about not fitting in or doing without things you're used to here. You'll be fine.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,636 times
LOL.... thanks for the excellent feedback...You need to be working for the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce....trying to recruit people to Phx....LOL..Gotta go with my heart on this.....Visited several times with my company..as well a couple times not on company time...I find the scene out there absolutely fabulous...Yes the AA population is few and far in between...but ya know what...At almost 40yrs. old...I know who I am...ya feel me.!!but anyway...thanks for the inside scooop....Need to focus on selling my house first....Once that occurs..then I can concentrate on tranferring out there with my job.....

Old 01-27-2011, 10:37 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
I was born and raised here. I have also traveled to 40 states and unless you're from the South, the Northeast, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, or Houston, you won't see much difference here in the amount of blacks you encounter day to day.

As I said in a prior post, the black population is scattered here. Out of 4.3 million people there are probably about 200,000 blacks, about 100,000 Asians, and about 1.4 million Hispanics. About 57% of the population is white.

Phoenix has always had an established black population but as in LA the hispanic population overshadowed it. it has never been anything like the areas I mentioned above, nor is anywhere in the west like that.

You want diversity (which means here areas where there are a lot of blacks and hispanics everywhere you go), go to Metrocenter Mall, Desert Sky Mall, Arizona Mills Outlet Mall, Fiesta Mall, Christown Mall. Go anywhere in the Maryvale area which is central West Phoenix, go to the shopping centers on 16th St and Southern, 24th Street and Baseline, 51st Ave and Baseline, Wal-Mart on Kyrene Rd and Elliot in Tempe, 38th St and Thomas, 35th Ave and Bethany Home, and the Avondale store.

Goodyear and Avondale have a black population of over 10%. There are 15 or so black beauty supply stores. While not as many as some places in the South, its enough. There are at least 30-40 black beauty and barber shops, and that is not counting stylists renting chairs in white shops or African braiders working at home.

Major cities like Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle, or Portland don't have any more black presence than Phoenix. And because of the large Hispanic population, Phoenix has a more ethnic feel to it than many other major cities that are not heavily black. The white population is nearing minority status here, and that may make this place become more politically liberal.

Even in Scottsdale you rarely go anywhere without seeing several blacks. That is the case all over town.

Mixed race dating has been strong here since the 70's. California has always been the same too.No one (whites) turns their heads at blacks here.

All the black concerts and comedians come to town.

Now the politics in Maricopa County is another story. Good Ole white boys have dominated the political landscape here for years and with the advent of the Tea Party, they are resorting to dirty politics to keep the white poulation in the majority. They have made it harder to vote (democratic), and the SB1070 fiasco is a way to make white people scared of mexicans so that they would show up at the polls and vote Republican.

Historically getting MLK day was an issue, a prior governor was impeached who was part of this good ole boys network in the 90's, and these people who manipulate the statehouse are right wing crooks. They are much of the reason Phoenix does not have a strongly entrenched black leadership community. many blacks have become tokens for these good ole white boys in order to personally advance themselves. In Las Vegas it is just the opposite. blacks organize.

Plus Arizona is a right to work state, and the absence of a unionized workforce has influenced the politics to the right, along with the 13% Mormon population and the older Midwesterners who have moved here from rural conservative states.

The Attorney General in the 90's said that Arizona would do anything in their power not to become another Los Angeles. All the negative news here increased after President Obama chose Governor Janet Napolitano to be chief of Homeland Security. She vetoed everything the good ole boys tried to make law, and with her gone and Jan Brewer as governor, the state is really doing bad things for private and political gain.

It's just a matter of time before these crooked politicians are put out. The demographic shift in the population won't tolerate them much longer. Within 10 years I think people of color will have a greater influence politically here.

Just a little history.

Don't worry about not fitting in or doing without things you're used to here. You'll be fine.
While I agree with most of your assessment of the AZ political landscape, your framing it all in "white" was a little abrasive and irrelevant. I think greed and decades of privilege, family ties and corruption has more to do with the behavior than skin color.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:04 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,838 times
I was just trying to give an assessment in a way that is meaningful for a black person to relate to, if considering moving here. I did not intend to racially attack, as of course the average citizen no matter what race, has anything to do with the political corruption.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,674 times
I'm an AA female in my mid 20's who has lived in Phx for 6 months. I'm also from the deep south-yes there was a culture shock for me. Phx is not a bad city, it's nice looking, you can't beat the weather, and travel destinations are not too far away. You won't encounter many other blacks on a regular basis, and the people here are too worried about illegal immigration to really notice you.
I personally would not recommend Phx as a move for a young AA female, but hey, different strokes different folks. If I were older and established tho, it wouldnt be a bad move. I recommend you Really give Phx a visit before moving there blindly.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 14,180 times
I'm a 34yo AA female who is going to move to Phoenix in August. Thanks for all the great advice and links you all have posted. After living in Atl most of my life I am ready for a change. 7 years ago a small AA population seemed frightening. Now it seems like just what I need.

I am definitely curious about the dating scene for AA women. My preference has always been for AA men but now I feel that love is love and if we're happy, that is all that matters. Atl has so much competition that AA women tend to be fly where ever we go. I visited some Phx cousins a couple of years ago and they made mention of my wardrobe. Not in a bad way but in a "we are only going to the grocery store" way. Just wondering how all that will play in AZ. In addition, I'm 5ft 11in and I was wondering is AZ full of shorter men like Atl? Seems to me the average height here is about 5ft 9in. Not great for a woman like me who loves heels. Also do men there approach women? I find that men here don't often come up to me (even after smiles and eye contact). So the question is are men there short and shy, lol?

Lastly, any natural hair care places there? I have locs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area