Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I start my new job on Monday, and it ain't at a call center.
You lucky dog. It seems all the tech jobs I can apply for are call center only jobs. Why can't I be at ASU already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You really had to tell us this yet again? Why not just "go, in peace". Have a safe trip.
lmfao. I agree. I've gotten to a point that I realized it doesn't matter, im stuck here and I'll never be able to leave. I don't matter, no one cares. I am, for the most part, silent.

I think when people realize they aren't special and no one cares, they'll shut up.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 AM

523 posts, read 937,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
Which is 1 of many many many many many reasons I'm moving out of this hellhole and going to Seattle area this month.
Due to the joblessness difficulties in the Phoenix area, many others have had to take the same steps. As indicated in the story, the labor market is worse than previously estimated. We continually strive to try and reverse this trend, but we understand that people need work and have to have money to pay bills.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:29 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,776,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
Due to the joblessness difficulties in the Phoenix area, many others have had to take the same steps. As indicated in the story, the labor market is worse than previously estimated. We continually strive to try and reverse this trend, but we understand that people need work and have to have money to pay bills.

What are your suggestions as to how this can be turned around?

As we're seeing, the housing inventory is decreasing, and the buyers are coming out strong. My recent experience in the lower price ranges is that before my clients can get to see a home, it's already under contract. We're not getting there fast enough. We're also seeing many multiple offers.

The Pending sales have increased dramatically.

So, if that trend continues:
  • Will the sales of household goods pick up?
  • Will the building contractor work pick up as more properties are rehabbed for new owners?
  • Will appliance sales pick up?
  • Then if this trend continues further, will the builders begin to build again and create new jobs?
Is the tax incentive that AZ is working on going to be enough to bring more businesses to the area?

Is there more the Governor can do to attract big business?

Does Phoenix have the infrastructure, land, buildings, housing, weather, and other amenities that will make it desirable for companies and their employees to want to relocate here?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:37 AM

99 posts, read 259,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightbutdownn View Post
A big news story recently broke on how the Phoenix area and Arizona unemployment picture has been much worse than previously thought. Most people know Arizona's "real" U-6 unemployment rate is in the worst 7 in the nation. Now other rates have been revised for the worst. Arizona has 40,000 less jobs than previously reported, and preliminary indicators were significantly off on recent job gains.

This is bad news for the Valley, and it is important people get a balanced view of the labor market for people making decisions.

"The figures show that Arizona has much deeper economic woes than previously expected."

Arizona's job loss, worse in 2009 and 2010
The revision shows me many people have been experiencing here. I have been going through the same, as have several friends. To those who continue to search for work, be versatile and keep trying.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:35 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,619 times
I think the "revisions" smell fishy, to be honest. My cynical side can't help but think this is "political". As is quoted in the article: "'We haven't really got the complete explanation,' he said."
Anyway, what ever the numbers "were" or "should have been" is pretty irrelevant to the tens of thousands of new jobs (that is, net job growth) that have happened lately....

Old 03-05-2011, 02:33 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,323 times
I've had some work to give out, but it's very difficult to hire someone. I'm not going to hire illegals period, so that means there may be some folks that I can't hire because I'm not sure enough. Another issue is the huge liability risk, even if they appear to be legitimate--how do you know their worker's comp. is up to date. Another issue is the high minimum wage. I can't afford to pay someone, who hasn't finished HS, 7.34 per hour +FICA, etc.. A decrease in the minimum wage will get some of these teens back to work. And geez, the way things are going, I am going to have to issue a 1099 to the paper boy, which I recently canceled due to them now charging sales tax.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:37 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
When you said this:

"This is something the Phoenix area is known for, low wages. I have been trying to work several other groups to try and change this fate, but it is hard going with competition from many other cities around this part of the U.S. It is hard to attract workers when our education funding is 50th in the country."

on another thread, you were asked to elaborate on exactly what you were doing. The question went unanswered/ignored. So, assuming the "we" in the first quote is actually you, like in the second one, I'll ask the question again: What are you actually doing, besides posting the same things over and over again on this forum? I'd really like to know about constructive activities to create jobs.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:53 PM

523 posts, read 937,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I've had some work to give out, but it's very difficult to hire someone. I'm not going to hire illegals period, so that means there may be some folks that I can't hire because I'm not sure enough. Another issue is the huge liability risk, even if they appear to be legitimate--how do you know their worker's comp. is up to date. Another issue is the high minimum wage. I can't afford to pay someone, who hasn't finished HS, 7.34 per hour +FICA, etc.. A decrease in the minimum wage will get some of these teens back to work. And geez, the way things are going, I am going to have to issue a 1099 to the paper boy, which I recently canceled due to them now charging sales tax.
I understand what you are saying. And with the increased costs businesses are taking on to hire, the problems for businesses here seem to continue. The increase in medical costs is especially worrisome.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:41 PM

295 posts, read 552,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
I'm trying hard to create jobs in Phoenix.

If anyone would like to help, let me know.
Aren't we all trying to find a way to get by.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
This is one of the original 3...I don't get how U6 unemployment numbers can have much of an impact regardless, there are too many variables...and they always post old stats to mislead people or word it the way they choose, or talk amongst themselves...I promised I would no longer post on their threads, but this one must have remembered the screen name....
You guys are barking up the wrong tree again, it's silly, been accused, isn't me...doubt your right about any of it...gotto love conspiracy theories though. Getting sick of the "bully" mentality of this country as of late, as it's reflected on here. Maybe there is no work for people right now because Obama is really from the middle east. Right?

On a serious note though, I have thought recently that jobs were picking up around here. It seems I have seen more hiring lately. I'm sure it depends what kind of job your seeking though, so I still have compassion for those of you who are having a hard time. It can be very frustrating and I'm not naive enough to think you aren't searching right, or aren't hirable because of it. It's still happening to a lot of people.

I think it will take a while for the whole country to turn around, I'm pretty sure it will not go back to what it was before, people and employers will be more cautious. Nobody wants to lay someone off again. It's like the whole country is on "re set".

AZ has suffered a bit more due to how many are in the construction field here, like other states in the west and florida as well. Although with homes being sold and fixed up I see a bit of a upswing with my friends in this field, they've been helping people remodel.

To help out though, if you haven't been effected you can always donate here:
Goodwill of Central Arizona | We Put People to Work
They could always use your help providing for those who are still suffering the effects of the recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: