Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,976 times

Advertisements

Hi All -
I have several friends that live in Scottsdale, they have been talking about how great it is since moving there 2 years ago. I am 35, married, with 4 kids (ages 4, 7, 11, 12) and an IT professional. I have been wanting a change for a long time, the dreary WI weather is literally unbearable any more and we always found ourselves saying "Someday we are going to move somewhere warm". Well life is short, and someday is now. I have checked out DelRay Beach, Fl, Dallas, TX and Scottsdale. Scottsdale reminded me of a clean version of Florida without the water / humidity, and Dallas is far too busy. Recently we took the family to stay there for a full week, and I must say, I fell in love with it and so did my wife and kids.

I loved the weather and understand for a month out of the year it is extremely hot, which I will gladly trade for the 6 months of cold, snow, freezing, slush and -20 temps.

People complain about all the snotty people, I really did not see / run into any, if I did I was too distracted with the scenery.

Another thing people complain about is the heat, it did not seem that bad without the sticky humidity we get in summer.

I am also a youth girls fast pitch coach and all of my kids play ball, I think there will be abundant opportunity in this area.

I guess what I am looking for is some verification. I am getting nervous as time approaches and we start packing. We are moving in July (I know the hottest month), and I want to make sure I am NOT hiding the negative because of my rose colored glasses. My friends assured me, what I experienced on vacation is every day life there. I really think my kids will be happier in the warm weather. I also think the sun has a great deal to do with everyones moods (everyone there seemed so darn happy). Could someone tell me what I am missing? Point out the good / bad? Or is it really "just perfect"?

Last edited by MKE Mike; 05-17-2011 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE Mike View Post
I loved the weather and understand for a month out of the year it is extremely hot, which I will gladly trade for the 6 months of cold, snow, freezing, slush and -20 temps.

Another thing people complain about is the heat, it did not seem that bad without the sticky humidity we get in summer.

We are moving in July (I know the hottest month), and I want to make sure I am hiding the negative because of my rose colored glasses. My friends assured me, what I experienced on vacation is every day life there.
Congrats on your upcoming move! You're going to be blasted with passionate opinions both for and against the things you mention in your post.

I think your family will have wonderful opportunities here, and I hope you enjoy your move.

I will say, however, it's very hot for a lot longer than a month, though not as extreme as some will tell you. Check out actual weather stats to temper some of your enthusiam, and to counteract the gloom and doom posters who will tell you it's like the surface of Mars for 8 months out of the year. Scottsdale, Arizona (85250) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground You can scroll down the page to check out historical weather stats.

As for your friends, I think they got carried away in their enthusiasm to have you move closer. Everyday life is never like what anyone experiences on vacation. That's why people go on vacations!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:16 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Figure on July, August and half of September being the miserable heat months because that is when humidity goes up and it stays hot all night. Rest of the year mornings and nights, at least, are nice.

Many posters like you have the same comment that people seem happy here. Could be something to it. The sunshine sure is nicer than grey gloom IMO.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:46 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Arizona is tons better than Florida. You can't compare the two IMO. The "summers" here are very hot, unrelenting heat for about 4 months, but you have your A/C and can get a place with a pool. That helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area