Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 02:31 AM

10 posts, read 23,162 times

Advertisements

I am looking to purchase a home that is butted up right next to a mountain. I am wondering if it might be a bad idea in that it may block off any cool breeze from the north as the home is directly south of the mountain. I like the idea of privacy, but Im having second thoughts. Is it even windy in the Ahwatukee foothills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 07:34 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,775,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutBennington View Post
I am looking to purchase a home that is butted up right next to a mountain. I am wondering if it might be a bad idea in that it may block off any cool breeze from the north as the home is directly south of the mountain. I like the idea of privacy, but Im having second thoughts. Is it even windy in the Ahwatukee foothills?
I believe the forecast is for windy conditions today and the next couple days. If it does get windy to there during that period.

If you give the name of the community, then someone living in there, or nearby can also give you a definitive answer.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:47 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,680,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutBennington View Post
hahahahahahaaaaa...

"cool breeze" and "valley of the sun" don't really mix...

From June through September if there is any "breeze" at all in Phoenix, it's a hot one - like a blowtorch, or a dragon's breath...

the rest of the year you don't need a breeze, the weather's great.

If you like the house, buy it..

Old 06-18-2011, 10:23 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,667 times
My parents lived in the Ahwatukee/Foothills area for over 20 years. They originally started out in the custom estates area, then moved to the Foothills next to a mountain then back to Mountain Park Ranch off of Knox. Their house in the Foothills was warmer, they didn't get as much rain and they didn't have the freeze problems the rest of the valley had a couple of times. They also had more of a problem with scorpions. It was kind of amazing the differences with only about 7 miles apart.

My dad passed away last year and I moved Mom to Chandler to be closer to me. She loves it in Chandler because she gets so much more rain when the storms come thru.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:11 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
wind and cool breezes aren't much of an issue.....instead, make sure your south-facing windows are shaded in the summer (and not shaded in the winter!)....make sure you aren't in the path of a gully-washer coming off that mountain if it rains....termites?....critters?....is the planned new freeway around South Mountain going to be right next door?.....weird neighbors?....

lots to consider more than cool breezes....

Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
at night cooler air( which is heavier) flows down off mountains. on hot summer nights you can feel cool air flowing down certain slopes of mountains. apart from views the breezes off mountains are why properties there cost more.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:21 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Any breezes are likely going to be from the west, south and southwest. It rarely blows from the north around here. Even then, a cool breeze? As other have said, there is no such thing around Phoenix, including Awatukee. I live next to a mountain. The only thing I don' care for is that it blocks my view of monsoon storms building and moving in. Your mountain to the north would be less of a problem that way as monsoon storms in Ahwatukee come from the northeast thru southeast for the most part. Otherwise, being next to open desert instead of someone's back yard is priceless, IMO.

With all respect, this is a no brainer: take the house on the mountain lot.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM

963 posts, read 2,301,698 times
Just make sure that you love nature! Whatever lives in the mountains, be they coyotes. javalinas, snakes, etc., will become your next door neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: