Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:59 AM

39 posts, read 159,579 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am going to Phoenix for an interview next week. I need a hotel extremely cheap but safe and clean. I prefer to be close to the airport since I will be flying back to MI at 6 AM on Saturday morning and don't want to drive far at that hour. I will be doing a lot of driving around to check out the various suburbs and only plan on sleeping at the hotel after a very long day.

Has anyone stayed at the Econo Lodge near the Phoenix Int'l Airport?

Econo Lodge Phoenix Airport
3037 E Van Buren St
PHOENIX, AZ, US 85008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 04:12 PM

268 posts, read 1,159,898 times
I've never stayed there before nor do I know anyone who has. But I do work by the airport, and the area around the airport is not the safest at night....lots of strip clubs, dive bars, and "working women".

For reviews on hotels, restaurants, and etc., I like to use Yahoo Local and citysearch.com. I looked up the motel on Yahoo at local.yahoo.com, and there were quite a few reviews. Most of the reviews were good about the service, rooms, price, and proximity to the airport, but some expected negative comments about the overall area.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:23 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,344 times
Dont do it. Get something over on 44th St or 48th st.
Unless you like crack cocaine, ugly prostitutes and bedbugs.

3000 E Van Buren has all of th rent by the hour places.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:56 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,622 times
This time of year hotel rates are pretty good. (Room rates go up by a zillion in most places out there during winter.) Finding the airport isnt too hard-most of the highways have signs that have the airplane on them at top of the exit names--->follow the plane. ;-) There are also signs with a car on them to follow once you get closer to their airport to return the car. That hour on Saturday will be like little traffic. Depending on exact time of your flight, you may just hit daybreak so it will be light out.

I head to the further north parts of Phoenix/Scottsdale. I like Chaparral Suites (5001 Scottsdale Rd). (Also close to Fashion Square Mall if you have some time to kill lol!) It is maybe 15 minutes from the airport or so. I was just out there a few weeks ago. Rooms now are only $99, in a nice area, nice pool, and a free breakfast buffet. Pretty grounds. Not the Ritz, but a nice place. Their restaurant and bar grill are also pretty good. The hotel consistently gets pretty good reviews for bang for the buck on internet sites. I am not sure how much cheaper than $99 hotels get out there--->I suspicion not much unless you are in the less safe areas of town.

Going from Michigan also be prepared for the time difference of 3 hours (MI is still EST right?).

Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander in AZ View Post
Hi everyone,

I am going to Phoenix for an interview next week. I need a hotel extremely cheap but safe and clean. I prefer to be close to the airport since I will be flying back to MI at 6 AM on Saturday morning and don't want to drive far at that hour. I will be doing a lot of driving around to check out the various suburbs and only plan on sleeping at the hotel after a very long day.

Has anyone stayed at the Econo Lodge near the Phoenix Int'l Airport?

Econo Lodge Phoenix Airport
3037 E Van Buren St
PHOENIX, AZ, US 85008
Interesting, Michigander . . . sounds like a early morning drive makes sense.

Whenever I "layover" in the Phoenix Area, I always stay at one of the Homestead Studio Suites.

www.homesteadhotels.com

Good Luck!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:37 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Van Buren isnt exactly a prime place, overall, but if thats what is within your budget, be careful. Ive always preferred something close to an airport in a strange town, so as not to get lost, lol.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:59 AM

Thanks everyone. This forum is so helpful. I will definitely not be staying at the Econo Lodge.

How about this one instead:

Red Roof Inn
5215 W Willetta St
Phoenix, AZ 85043

It is near the Diamondbacks Stadium and seems to have decent reviews.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:45 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Your next choice is in Maryvale, which is not a good place in Phx. It's where most of our city's crime is located.

Try to look for something more north in phx. Look at a map and locate Central Ave, then look for a hotel more to the east of there and north (north of Camelback). I know of one, but don't remember the name, on 16th st and colter (right off the 51 freeway). This general area will be a VERY easy drive to the airport.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Your next choice is in Maryvale, which is not a good place in Phx. It's where most of our city's crime is located.

Try to look for something more north in phx. Look at a map and locate Central Ave, then look for a hotel more to the east of there and north (north of Camelback). I know of one, but don't remember the name, on 16th st and colter (right off the 51 freeway). This general area will be a VERY easy drive to the airport.
How about:

Ramada Inn - Metro Center
12027 N 28th Dr
Phoenix, AZ 85029

It's north of camelback and is fairly cheap and has good reviews.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:07 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Well, your getting closer to a better area. Yes, it's north of camelback, but it's in the avenues and along the I-17. It's really not a bad choice all in all, plus easy freeway access.

I lived over in that area about 14 years ago (my first apt) and we would have police helicopters overhead a lot. (However, I felt fairly safe walking at night.) Metrocenter mall has probably more crime than any other mall in phx, but it's better than the other two hotels you found. Maybe you can get a second opinion from another poster. Like I said, it's been a while since I've lived there to know if it's worse, or getting better.

Btw, where is your job interview?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area