Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:35 PM

14 posts, read 24,522 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to AZ this October from Hawaii. My husband has been active duty Navy for 8 years and now we are looking to use his GI bill and he will be going to school in Tempe. We have looked at housing and the best prices are either in Queen Creek or South Phoenix. The realtor we talked to said we really dont want to live in the area we were looking which was Laveen and that Queen Creek would be so much better but the commute seems alot longer- one of the houses we looked at on Apollo Rd (MLS#: 4630982) was only 7 miles or 20 minutes...So the point I am getting at is

Is there a reason we should stay out of South Phoenix or is the realtor biased and wanting us to buy in their area?

Also any insight on our move would be helpful- but thinking of making multiple posts on all my questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 01:38 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,981 times
Laveen is awfully far away from Tempe (I'm guessing your husband will attend ASU?). Queen Creek is way too far away from Tempe as well. Have you looked at southern Tempe, west Mesa or Chandler? "South" Phoenix on the north side of South Mountain (bear with me here) isn't exactly the greatest part of town, either. Avoid anything west of Priest in Tempe as well as anything between Buckeye and Baseline.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:43 PM

yes this house is smack dab in between buckeye and baseline. No the University he is going to is UAT its a much smaller tech school on W Baseline. We have looked in Tempe but the housing prices are AMAZING in the area that I should avoid- bummer....

Old 08-29-2011, 01:58 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
I lived in an old mobile in a run down part of Tucson going to college on the GI Bill. I survived. I wouldn't recommend you buy there (even if it were a great hood) while attending school. But renting, why not? There are plenty of low priced rentals in the same area.

When he finishes school, you get a more stable income etc, then look around for a suitable place to buy. You may not find one for forty bucks a square foot anymore, but there's a reason it's going for that price.

If you think you absolutely must buy, then Queen Creek is a better bet. Your realtor is giving it to you straight.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

If you think you absolutely must buy, then Queen Creek is a better bet. Your realtor is giving it to you straight.
You dont think the commute will kill him? We are only buying because my husband is ITCHY he has wanted to buy for years but stuck moving all the time with the Navy and now that he is getting out he cant wait to have something that will really be his....

Old 08-29-2011, 02:15 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowleypolie View Post
You dont think the commute will kill him? We are only buying because my husband is ITCHY he has wanted to buy for years but stuck moving all the time with the Navy and now that he is getting out he cant wait to have something that will really be his....
Nah, I think he will regret it. It'll drive him crazy. But I also think you will both regret buying in the south Phoenix area of that house too. That's why I would just bit the bullet and rent for now.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:19 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Some friends of mine live on Apollo Road, but not in Laveen, they are on the east side, about 20th St. Perfectly fine neighborhood, with quite a bit of infill. So, it depends on where you are in "south Phoenix" The others are correct about the length of your travel from either place. I'd look closer, starting in Tempe itself, and yes, I'd rent.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:30 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,364 times
You might also want to explore the town of Maricopa. Prices are comparable to Queen Creek/San Tan Valley, and the commute might be better. I tend to agree with Ponderosa though, that renting might be a good idea, to give you more time to familiarize yourself with the valley. Also, be aware that the home you like on Apollo is a short-sale. The price listed doesn't mean that is what will be accepted by the lender. Also, it is a cash only sale, as the A/C is missing! That should tell you something about the neighborhood.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:38 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
You might also want to explore the town of Maricopa. Prices are comparable to Queen Creek/San Tan Valley, and the commute might be better. I tend to agree with Ponderosa though, that renting might be a good idea, to give you more time to familiarize yourself with the valley. Also, be aware that the home you like on Apollo is a short-sale. The price listed doesn't mean that is what will be accepted by the lender. Also, it is a cash only sale, as the A/C is missing! That should tell you something about the neighborhood.
The commute to and from ASU during normal rush hours would still be pretty bad from Maricopa. Yes, you do need to be careful about the RE listings, the pictures shown, etc; there was an article recently about AC units being stolen from vacant houses in MANY areas of the Valley. And, I looked at a house for a member here several months ago... the pictures on the internet listing were in part out and out lies.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
The price listed doesn't mean that is what will be accepted by the lender. Also, it is a cash only sale, as the A/C is missing! That should tell you something about the neighborhood.
Wow- didnt notice the A/C but I was against living so far west- my family lives in Queen Creek (extended family) and my parents are thinking about possibly moving there too.

About renting vs buying....dont you think with the current housing decline buying would be better??? both for the economy and our pocketbooks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area