Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 AM

181 posts, read 697,179 times

Advertisements

need to replace my camry's brakes, no sure where to go. Your advice is highly appreciated!

Last edited by greenthinker; 09-22-2011 at 01:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 03:12 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthinker View Post
need to replace my camry's brakes, no sure where to go. Your advice is highly appreciated!
Marshall's Auto Center (http://www.marshallsservicecenter.com/http://www.marshallsservicecenter.com/ - broken link)

I've been taking my vehicles here since the early 1990's when I worked nearby. Now, I live in Far East Mesa, but still drive to south Scottsdale for anything besides oil changes. Not the cheapest or fastest repair center - but absolutely the most honest. Quality work, good people, excellent involvement from owner, never does unnecessary work.

An example: the one time I took the car someplace else (more convenient to my home), they recommended a full brake job on my Camry. I took the car home, called and made an appointment with Marshall's saying I needed my brakes done. An hour or two later, I get a call from Joe saying that my brakes were fine, why did I think they needed work? I told him about the other repair shop's recommendation. Joe had the class to not make remarks about a competitor, just politely said that if I wanted the brake work, I needed to go back to them because he would not perform unnecessary work. No charge for that visit, the brakes lasted until I sold the vehicle (2+ years and 35k of highway miles).

That's just one example of several experiences that I've had with them showing a level of honesty that is highly unusual in this industry. Highly recommended.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:08 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
You could also try a Toyota dealer. That's where my wife takes hers. I don't know which one because she takes it.

I have a Town Car and take it to the Lincoln dealer. Granted it's under warranty, but even when there is non-warranty work, the charge is reasonable.

I had two battery issues and in both cases the dealer replaced them under warranty, and I wouldn't have known the battery is warrantied.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 AM

190 posts, read 449,740 times
I found a place - but it's near Scottsdale Rd and Thomas - sorta - it's on North Civic Center Plaza....For me it's worth the drive... Plus they'll drive me over to Fashion Square mall or anyplace within reason to hang out or run errands while they do work on my car. It's called Whitey's Auto. It has great reviews and recommendations on line - that's how I found them. When my Toyota had a light go on - they checked out what it meant and didn't charge me a dime. Later on when I had oil changed at an auto fix-it place closer to me - the folks told me I had a light on - and for a mere 100 bucks they could tell me what it meant. Yuk. So I went back to Whitey's and had the work done. The price was fair. The feeling you get is they are the Valley's most trusted auto people....I got that from listening to the people in the tiny waiting area... "How long you been a fan?" is how they speak of Whitey's. Another time I was told I needed a tensioner for the serpentine belt by the oil change place.... Whitey's said, "no - & did you get told this by _____?" Maybe that place always tells people things they don't need? Well I don't know if this place is too far for you or not - but for anyone else - Whitey's seems pretty cool....& till I have need to find another place -- I'm sold on them (the guy that drives you to the Mall's worked there for a long time - a loyal employee that likes his job) Good Luck!

Oh and like the above poster - I was told I need brakes by the 'other place' - Whitey's said I have at least 3 more oil changes before I'd need brakes!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
Gene's Auto Worx in Tempe. Check out the reviews on Yelp. Gene's Auto Worx - Tempe, AZ

Old 09-22-2011, 09:48 AM

How about just brakes or brake master?

Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
You could also try a Toyota dealer. That's where my wife takes hers. I don't know which one because she takes it.

I have a Town Car and take it to the Lincoln dealer. Granted it's under warranty, but even when there is non-warranty work, the charge is reasonable.

I had two battery issues and in both cases the dealer replaced them under warranty, and I wouldn't have known the battery is warrantied.

I had bad experience with local Toyota dealer before. Don't want to try.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:27 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
Quote:
How about just brakes or brake master?
Personally I don't trust the chains to do any work on my vehicles. Seems like they are always trying to upsell you on services not needed. The place I mentioned, Gene's Auto Worx, you deal directly with Gene the owner. He's a straight shooter and stands behind his work 100%.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Personally I don't trust the chains to do any work on my vehicles. Seems like they are always trying to upsell you on services not needed. The place I mentioned, Gene's Auto Worx, you deal directly with Gene the owner. He's a straight shooter and stands behind his work 100%.
Thanks, I will not use BrakeMaster. Gene's place is too far. Thank you anyway.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Thanks, I will not use BrakeMaster. Gene's place is too far. Thank you anyway.
Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area