Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,520 times

Advertisements

I'm coming to the conclusion I want to relocate to Arizona. After spending some time on the Arizona forums here, I've now narrowed my interests to either New River or Chandler.

I am selling a business and taking a (very) early retirement from my employer as well. Both careers are in the construction / mining industry. I'm not "old as dirt" or maybe for Arizonians (that is what your titled as, correct?) I should say "old as sand"? I will be selling two homes here in the Chicago area as well. I plan to buy a single family home in Arizona. I may even wait until I have relocated to make that purchase? TBD...

I am male, widowed and my children are grown. My hobbies include motorcycling (Harley - Davidson) and off roading (Jeeps & ATV's). I hate snow - Let me rephrase that, I despise Chicago winters.

So with this written, can anyone provide pros & cons to both locations? I should add commutes (work) will not be a issue for me for awhile.

Any and all suggestions or opinions regarding either New River or Chandler will be appreciated. Including what I should know about living in either area as well.

Did I mention I am becoming a fan of Sheriff Arpaio? Okay so that was subtle humor but there is a serious side to this too. Thanks just the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 05:17 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Based on your limited statement of interests, New River would be a much better choice. New River is very close to the deserts and mountain recreation areas and has a rural feel. Chandler is suburbia - tract homes, strip malls, chain restaurants, traffic lights on every corner, and a much longer trip to outdoor recreation. They are quite different. What made you pick such diverse cities? If you like New River, check into Black Canyon City too.

We are Arizonans, no "i".

Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Zonies for short.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:33 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Oh, and there is not a lot of sand around here either. That's the Sahara. We have mostly rock.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:01 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I gotta ask: how did you decide on those two places. There's nothing wrong with either of them - on the contrary, they are both nice cities. But as different as night and day, IMO. The only thing they share is the 'AZ' part of their address.

So give us an idea how you got to this point, and we'll help Point you in the right direction.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:17 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,348 times
What about East Mesa or Apache Junction? The later is less expensive. Close to the Usery Park recreation area, the Superstitions, and you can quickly get to Mesa and Gilbert to do things. I think Chandler is better for shopping, golf, raising kids. Far east Mesa has more that old West feel, views, safe areas and larger lots and lower taxes.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,520 times
@ Ponderosa - I had to laugh when you stated the terrain is more about rock. Ironically my employer and my side business (directly linked to my employer) is all about rock. On a side note, my employer has several facilities in the Maricopa County area alone. One being in Sun City which I have to believe from viewing a map, is not too far? With that said if I didn't retire, I would probably take a leave of absense and a withdrawl card from my union.

As for why I chose these area's; Chandler was interesting but since my OP here, I have taken that location off the table. So I have to ask (anyone), what is it like living in New River? I want to live in a rural area and not confined to a tract / subdivision. I would be in the market for a single family home on a small to medium size lot. Another question concerning New River I would like to ask is; what is the shopping / retail business like in the area? Would I have to travel far to shop? I'm not apposed to short distances outside NR if that makes sense?

@ Phoenix Lady - So there is a "i" in 'Zonies! lol!

@Jkgourmet - I've been thinking about relocating to AZ for sometime now. Recently I've viewed videos (motorcycle related) with scenery of New River that made me think, I really like the look of the area and I need to discover more about New River. Again, it is the rural scenery in these videos that turn me on to New River.

@hart4july - You now have me looking into AJ and "East Mesa" however I am confused - Where exactly is the area of East Mesa? Is this a town? Or is this simply the eastside of Mesa? I've asked a Jeep guy I know currently from Tuscon about the areas of New River vs AJ and he claims both areas would be close to off-roading area's however he states New River and AJ are worlds apart? Is this accurate? If so, how so? The views I've seen in photos of AJ with the Superstitions in the background are amazing. So I also have to ask you, what can I expect living in either AJ or the East Mesa area? Pros & Cons?

@ All Arizonans (Zonies) - I realize researching these area's of interest on the 'net will only get me so far and to really figure out where I want to settle, I need to get out there and see these towns for myself - So I am planning to visit the area soon after the upcoming holidays / new year. With that said, I just want to take a moment to say thank you to everyone for your replies to my inquiries of relocating to AZ. I really appreciate any and all advise, opinions and suggestions from you.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:20 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
What your friend MAY have meant by NR and AP being "world's apart" may simply be distance. They are 50-60 miles apart. I'm not as familiar with NR as I am with AJ, but based on the scenery and access to shopping, I'd say they were similar, with AJ being a bit better on both counts. On the other hand, if you are going to be riding your bike up into the mountains up north (Flagstaff, for example), NR might make more sense.

Both NR and AJ have grown a lot in the last few years. If your friend hasn't been in those specific areas in the last 2-3 years or so, I don't think they would recognize it.

I didn't understand where/if you will be working. If it's Sun City, then NR is definitely a better choice.

I live in NE Mesa - I don't think it's what you are looking for. It's suburban, not rural.

Welcome to the valley - my sense is that you will enjoy it here. Keep the questions coming (but you might want to start a new thread or else that Chandler thing will keep coming into the discussion. I love Chandler, but you are correct - it's not a good fit for you, IMHO)

Old 10-02-2011, 05:39 PM

675 posts, read 1,414,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFXDWG View Post

@ All Arizonans (Zonies) - I realize researching these area's of interest on the 'net will only get me so far and to really figure out where I want to settle, I need to get out there and see these towns for myself - So I am planning to visit the area soon after the upcoming holidays / new year. With that said, I just want to take a moment to say thank you to everyone for your replies to my inquiries of relocating to AZ. I really appreciate any and all advise, opinions and suggestions from you.
You've given the best advice yourself! Without having too much of a concern for a commute, you have freedom of choice of many areas that are on the outer edges of the suburbs. Definitely visit and explore!

Old 10-02-2011, 08:23 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,348 times
I agree North East Mesa is suburban, but NOT compared to Chandler. It would be a mid way point in terms of life style. I am talking S of Mc Dowell, around the Sossaman Rd to Ellsworth Rd N/S lateral area, its very cool! At some point it becomes Apache Juction to the east, a real estate agent could direct where.

I have heard some "remarks" about AJ, but it may suit an off road nature lover very well, if budget is a concern. It's not a boring suburb that is for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area