Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:36 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times

Advertisements

I lived in Phoenix a long time ago and am looking to relocate back (initially on a part-time basis, and possibly on a full-time basis later). I am looking to take advantage of the real estate market and purchase property. Help me choose a location that would protect my investment. My critria is that it needs to be a desirable location with good resale potential. I'd like for it to be centrally located, although I will not personally be commuting. I have looked at places in Gilbert, Surprise, Peoria, and Buckeye. Which of these areas would you choose and why? Which would you avoid? Any other areas I should be considering? My budget is <150k (preferably around $100k).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 11:01 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Buckeye and Surprise are too far from the rest of the valley in my opinion. Gilbert is going to take more money to get into something nice. Have you considered Goodyear? A up and coming city in the west valley and you can find some great deals. Goodyear is easier to get to the rest of the valley then Buckeye or Surprise.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,265 times
In the long term? I'd choose Surprise. It will have the most going for it in the long-term. Right now? It depends on the situation. All of those are west-valley burbs, except Gilbert. Gilbert is a ways out there, but it is very nice. Goodyear is good right now, and will continue to be. Its location on I-10 is an advantage, but I think it's going to take longer for it to develop and get more services than Surprise. Buckeye is just a no. It's too far out. There's nothing there, and there won't be for a very, very long time.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 AM

203 posts, read 491,179 times
None of your options are anywhere near being centrally located.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:07 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
exactly - 2 of them are fairly isolated in the WV, 1 is well developed but a good stretch into the EV and the other is in the NW valley and large enough where you could be close to the city core (like 67th & peoria) or you could be way out there approaching lake pleasant

if you are looking at buckeye & surprise I would definitely throw goodyear into consideration as well

i would be cautious if you are looking for a quick re-sale as well .... not sure I would buy a property without planning on holding it for a decade at least

I would also be very cautious of buckeye

Old 10-28-2011, 10:35 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
As another poster wrote, none of those places are centrally-located, they are all suburban areas.

Gilbert, Surprise, Peoria, Buckeye, and all the other suburbs like them are nice in their own right but all of them are going to require a fairly long commute to reach a centrally-located area.

By centrally-located I assume you mean downtown or midtown Phoenix?

Old 10-29-2011, 10:31 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
Thanks all. Rather than "centrally located," I should have used the term "easily accessible." I don't want to live in Central Phoenix, but I also want to be able to hop on a freeway to get where I want to go. I don't have to have everything 5-10 minutes away, but I do want ease in getting there.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Thanks all. Rather than "centrally located," I should have used the term "easily accessible." I don't want to live in Central Phoenix, but I also want to be able to hop on a freeway to get where I want to go. I don't have to have everything 5-10 minutes away, but I do want ease in getting there.
Parts of Gilbert and parts of Peoria would be about equidistant to central Phoenix, with Gilbert being closer to Old Town Scottsdale and the airport.

The 60 runs along the northern border of Gilbert, in Mesa, and the 202 runs through central Gilbert.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:43 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Surprise is not a "hop on a freeway and easily get somewhere" place. Buckeye is too far out, and I don't think much of the resale potential there.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:02 PM

800 posts, read 1,910,168 times
Peoria (or north Glendale or far NW Phoenix) north of the 1010 between 43rd and 99th ave probably will have the best long term resale potential. They are mostly newer neighborhoods and highly desired partly because of the excellent schools, scenic area, and low crime rate. You will get less square footage for the money than Goodyear, Surprise, Buckeye, etc. but it's a trade-off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area