Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:34 PM

57 posts, read 181,031 times

Advertisements

Here is a "scientific" experiment done by someone wondering the same thing.

How much hotter is a black car than a white car in the sun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 05:08 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
I drive a black car and don't notice any difference in that car and in my white van.

Cars heat up very quickly, and I understand that there may be around a 5 degree difference in temperatures in a black or a white car.

If the outside temperature is 90 degrees, this study shows that the temperature in the car will reach 133 degrees in 60 minutes. It does not state the car color.

At 133 degrees I couldn't tell the difference in 5 degrees one way or another.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:48 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
I own a black and white car of the same manufacturer. The black car is significantly more hot in the summer than the white car in my opinion. I like the look of the black car but yes it does in fact get really hot as does dark leather interior. I would purchase a white or silver car with cloth or light leather interior. It does make a huge difference in my opinion.

I would also recommend purchasing Huber Optic Drei ceramic tinting. It makes a major difference in the summer and your car will feel significantly cooler.

That being said, this is probably in my head and is partly psychological as the tests above prove the difference is minor. However, I'm convinced regardless of the data and will stick to white and silver and leave the black car for my wife.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-30-2011 at 12:56 AM..

Old 10-31-2011, 10:15 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,758 times
A car dealer told me once the temp difference in a black car was 'only' around 8 degrees. I said 'Only?? That sounds significant to me!' I think the cars with black leather seats must be torturous.

I would never buy black because it shows every scratch, ding and speck of dust. They're beautiful when new and perfect and clean and then never again. It's white only for me now! I drove a dark green car for 11 years and hated it.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:16 AM

23 posts, read 51,854 times
what about red

Old 10-31-2011, 12:22 PM

160 posts, read 374,281 times
Black Leather is very bad compared to standard cloth interior, I had black leather in my truck and it was horrible getting into the truck in shorts in the summer. Then in the winter it's ice cold.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:13 PM

22 posts, read 71,924 times
I always had black vehicles when I lived in Colorado. When we moved to Arizona a year or so ago I switched both the truck and car over to white. I really didn't feel there was a big difference in the heat but the dust/dirt really does make a black vehicle look bad in a very short time. It makes it very difficult to keep a car clean.

However, one thing I noticed since the switch to white vehicles is that the bugs really show up on the front ends a lot more than on the black vehicles. It might be worse because we live down here in an agricultural area (near Casa Grande) but it is a factor as the white vehicles will appear clean except for the smattering of smashed bugs on the front.

BTW- the resale of the black vehicles down here in Arizona suprised me as
I thought they would be harder to sell than light. Both the buyer of the car and the truck both commented that the black color was the primary factor in driving down to look at the vehicles. So obviously some people still like the look that only black can bring to a vehicle.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:23 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,938,126 times
I had a white car (grey leather interior) for 6 years and then bought a black one (black leather interior) from the same manufacturer in April of this year.

This past summer I noticed a significant difference in the heat with the black car. You could literally feel the heat radiating from the headliner (ceiling) of the inside of the car. I never had that happen when I had my other car. I'm 6'1" and the top of my head is about 4" away from the headliner so it may be different if you are shorter but needless to say, there is a difference.

I did buy the best tint I possibly could (Huper Optik Drei) and had all windows done, plus the sun roof and had the windshield tinted as well to try and keep the heat out.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:28 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,740,560 times
I have a black car with black leather seats. I had always had cloth seats since I moved to Arizona but this was a deal I could not pass up. Anyway, the seats have not bothered me in the least bit, which was surprising. The black exterior has been an issue, because of the way it shows dirt. I like the car so much that I am having it painted (silver). I get it back on Thursday or Friday and will let you know if I notice a difference but the real difference, if any, would probably not become apparent until next summer.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:07 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ady4aChang3 View Post
I am moving to Phoenix in 5 weeks and planning to buy a new are now...

First choice is black and second is white? How bad is a black car in the heat and dust??? Would it be much worse than white?
It got to 183 inside a silver SUV with an outdoor temperature of 109. Black would not be a good color for Phoenix or AZ if you have a choice.

A picture is worth a thousand words! See the link below
http://www.city-data.com/forum/960486-post1.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area