Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:25 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,855 times

Advertisements

As mentioned in another thread, I'm looking all over the valley, but maybe some kind people here will help guide me to the areas where I should begin my search, since the valley is so huge. I'm moving in 2 weeks and feeling pretty overwhelmed.

My price range is up to $100,000. I realize that limits me a lot. I prefer a home no older than 1995. I like peace and quiet. I'm used to living on acreage, which I'm pretty sure I won't get in the Phoenix area in my price range, so living within spitting distance of my neighbors will take some getting used to.

I don't like screaming kids, loud music/parties, and revving engines (whether it's a wannabe mechanic working in his driveway or people racing 4-wheelers and dirt bikes up and down the street or in their yards). I don't think I'll be able to get away from screaming kids, but an HOA that has noise restrictions against loud music and revving engines would be the next best thing.

I like a country feel. I'm not a big city person. Yeah, I know Phoenix is the city, but I'm sure there are some neighborhoods with less of a big city feel. I don't need shopping, fine restaurants, culture, entertainment, churches, etc. I'm pretty much a homebody when I'm not out doing things with my dog. Schools are of no concern as I don't have kids (I'm not going to worry about schools for the future if I ever sell). Crime is everywhere, but I want a relatively safe area where a single woman doesn't have to be afraid to go out and walk her dog at night. Commuting is not a concern.

Dog friendly would be nice, as in maybe a dog park nearby, a good vet and community dog events. Most of my "entertainment" revolves around my dog.

Using Captain Bill's mls search, the homes I'm finding in my price range are in Avondale, Buckeye, Goodyear, El Mirage, Laveen, Phoenix, Surprise, and Tolleson. On the outskirts, I'm finding homes in Maricopa, Coolidge, and San Tan Valley.

Which of those do you think would fit my criteria best? Maybe a ranking in the order I should search? Are there any particular subdivisions in those areas that I should avoid?

I don't have a Realtor yet. Once I know which areas fit me best, then I can search for a Realtor who works those areas.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,135 times
Tnp - you will or will not be working?

And throw Casa Grande into outskirts search - although for 100K its not going to be that new...Coolidge/Florence/Arizona City will be better value in that price range these days, though again, the occassional one in CG does show up and then is sold quickly unless completely trashed.

But it all depends on whether there will be a commute involved.

OR

If you want to stay in closer - a condo may be an option - but doesnt sound like that fits your lifestyle too much.

SORRY - just read commuting is not an issue.

Actually, on the surface Arizona City may be a good fit for you. Newer homes on big lots with a very rural feel - but not many amenities etc. You would have to come into Casa Grande for even any real grocery shopping.

BUT, houses are still really inexpensive out there...!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post

And throw Casa Grande into outskirts search - although for 100K its not going to be that new...Coolidge/Florence/Arizona City will be better value in that price range these days, though again, the occassional one in CG does show up and then is sold quickly unless completely trashed.
Thanks! Casa Grande and Eloy are also 2 places I'm doing some serious looking. I forgot to add them to the list, but I have several homes I'm watching there. Florence was too, but lately there has been nothing in my price range built after 1995. Earlier this year there were many in Florence but now there's nothing. Arizona City is at the bottom of my list, because there is no HOA and there are a lot of multi-family rentals. If I'm going to live where the homes are that close together, especially with so many tri-plexes or 4-plexes in the neighborhood, I'd prefer to have an HOA. Condos are definitely out. I need my own space without sharing a wall.

I'm used to driving at least half an hour to the nearest large grocery store, so driving from Eloy to Casa Grande would not be a problem at all.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:59 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Tartesso is your place! 100K might be tough, but I don't know.

New Homes in Tartesso, a beautiful master planned community in Buckeye, Arizona

Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
take a look at 85648. large lots, city water, no hoa.... much cooler and way nicer than Florence.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
If you're better than 55, then Sun City has a lot to choose from and a quiet lifestyle.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
If you're better than 55, then Sun City has a lot to choose from and a quiet lifestyle.
I'm 49 but retired (disabled). I know some of the 55+ communities allow a certain percentage under 55, but most of them are out of my price range. Sun City is in my price range and I plan on checking it out, although the homes are older than I'd like so I worry about cooling costs. 55+ would be perfect for me if I could get into one. A few months ago I was finding some homes under $100K in some of the other age-restricted communities but they're gone now.

Quote:
take a look at 85648.
Thanks! Looks like a nice area too.
Quote:

Tartesso is your place! 100K might be tough, but I don't know.
New builds there are out of my range there, but I do recall seeing Tartesso come up in the mls search of existing homes around 100K, so I'm glad to hear it's a good neighborhood. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:22 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
1995 and newer is going to limit you tremendously in lot size. You'll be lucky if you're 15 feet from your neighbors on either side, so even with an hoa you are going to hear barking dogs and probably also hear it when your neighbors go at it on Sunday mornings in the springtime.

If 1995 is a hard limit, you'll want to look for those properties that have at least a sliver of more land between you and the neighbors - lots on a cul-de-sac, corner lots, or the last house before the wash, etc. they are out there, but they're rare.

I know to the rest of the country 1995 is an almost new home, but if that age was picked in the hopes of avoiding repairs, be aware that is still 17 years old, so you might still need a heat-pump, water heater, faucets, OTC microwaves, dishwashers, etc. are likely to be on their last legs. We have very hard water, and any fixture that is wet has a limited lifespan.

If you can go with an older home, say mid-eighties, you'll likely get a bigger lot & many more homes to pick from. We had a massive hailstorm on the north side of town a couple of years back, so even though those mid-eighties homes were due for roof-replacement & a/c replacement anyway, probably 70-80% got "free" roofs & a/c's from their insurance companies. In many cases that was $10k+ of repairs that was taken care of, and that's money you won't likely need to spend again for another 15+ years. Most of those homes still need kitchens & baths updated, but the differences between a mid-90's spec home and a mid-80's spec home kitchen or bath are minor, they're both tired & cheap.

Needless to say, I'm biased - those are the homes I've bought after living as a tenant in both newer & older homes in the valley as a tenant. Hoas are a sore subject on these boards, some love them, others hate them, my experience with both has been they can help a little with some issues, but those without manners will test the limits with or without an hoa, and at least in a non-hoa neighborhood you're usually at least 10-15 feet further away from the hillbilly neighbor with six dogs & a weed-filled lawn.

On the north-side of town, in or near your price range you should see homes in the "overland hills" 1,2,&3 subs,"overland trails", "country hills", "country place", or "blue hills" neighborhoods. You can search by subdivision in the MLS to check them out. You'll find those neighborhoods are mostly mid-eighties construction, decent schools & close to services, jobs & healthcare facilities - which should make them easier to peddle later if your interests change. Pricing in those neighborhoods peaked upwards of $300k, and dropped to where some sold in the $60's last year. I've seen a couple of short-sales listed in the $70's, and wrote an offer a for a friend on one, and it closed @$85k to a cash buyer with no inspection or appraisal contingency (nuts!), but still a decent deal based on current rents in the neighborhood.

In any case, good luck in your search!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:46 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,033 times
Quote:
Sun City is in my price range and I plan on checking it out, although the homes are older than I'd like so I worry about cooling costs. 55+ would be perfect for me if I could get into one.
I'm not so sure a mid-90s home is going to be a lot different in cooling costs than the older homes like you'll find in your price range in Sun City. I don't know but I'd think the older slump block homes fare pretty well. Plus they tend to be a bit smaller, which will mitigate cooling costs. I think one with a newer A/C would be a good find. I spend almost no time over there so if I'm misremembering that they have 1960s/70s slump block homes in there, hopefully someone will say.

I'm not sure if Sun City is this way but some of the retirement communities have separate parts of the neighborhood for the pet owners. That might be a good thing, for a dog lover.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I'm not so sure a mid-90s home is going to be a lot different in cooling costs than the older homes like you'll find in your price range in Sun City. I don't know but I'd think the older slump block homes fare pretty well. Plus they tend to be a bit smaller, which will mitigate cooling costs. I think one with a newer A/C would be a good find. I spend almost no time over there so if I'm misremembering that they have 1960s/70s slump block homes in there, hopefully someone will say.

I'm not sure if Sun City is this way but some of the retirement communities have separate parts of the neighborhood for the pet owners. That might be a good thing, for a dog lover.
Slump block homes are great as-is in the "swing months" when it's cool at night & hot during the day, (most have swamp coolers too), but if they haven't been insulated they'll kill you in the summer months, a friend has one and pays $500+ for cooling in the summer months, just to keep it under 80. And the home is ~1500 sq ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area