Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,332 times

Advertisements

True. It's photo 22 that shows a back window with bars on it. But you can't extrapolate "bars on a window" = meth central. All types of neighborhoods could have a home with one or more barred windows. It's more common in lower income neighborhoods but it's by no means any real indicator on its own. Sometimes the meth house is the $700k one behind a gate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 01:13 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,780,709 times
It appears that house is sold. I wonder if they had to wait 15 days to sell to an investor. Here is another good one: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M24001-01062

latest on the Light Rail is late 2015.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:46 PM

800 posts, read 1,911,466 times
khuntrevor: " Here is another good one: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M24001-01062 "

This is a HUD home with several issues:

"Replace floor covering in two bedrooms where bare concrete is exposed, Repair ceiling drywall damage in hall bathroom where plumbing fixtures are exposed, Repair plumbing system, Treat and paint all defective areas."

Not sure what "Repair plumbing system" entails, or what caused the ceiling drywall damage - never sure of the extent of the damage/mold issues until you start tearing up the walls. This home is across from an office park that appears to have construction going on, and there are high power lines directly behind the house. It is much closer to a major freeway than most people would like.

Other than that, seems like a real peach.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:08 PM

sold for 193,000 in 3-2007. Would rent for close to 1000. Those office parks are pretty nice over there. There is an good hotel between the house and the freeway. The three percenters won't qualify, that's why it is so cheap.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:22 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
It appears that house is sold. I wonder if they had to wait 15 days to sell to an investor. Here is another good one: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M24001-01062

latest on the Light Rail is late 2015.

as S Chris says, those high-voltage power lines, or some kind of huge utility pole or electric line, are visible in almost every exterior picture!!....

but having that grassy area and office park across the street is not unpleasant and the tile (?) looks nice....

Old 06-02-2012, 05:41 PM

that's not even considered high voltage....it's called above ground electric.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:02 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
IDK, I've rented and in my experience the low end rentals might get tenants but you don't get your rent half the time. You rarely get many with good credit going into it, but you have to have someone in there so you let down your guard. Then you have to go through the booting out process after several months of no pay, they leave it trashed, it's costly and a pain in the rear end.

Better return on a home in an area that cost a little more upfront but pays off with good tenants for years to come, IMO.

Unless you're flipping it, I'd forget anything under $150. But, that's just my two cents. It's only worth two cents. lol

Old 06-03-2012, 11:46 AM

a little more? you stated 3 times more. It is very unlikely that a 150K house will flow. Most property managers I know actually do credit checks......

Old 06-03-2012, 01:55 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
a little more? you stated 3 times more. It is very unlikely that a 150K house will flow. Most property managers I know actually do credit checks......

Well, you have to look at the target audience. Do some research on who is most likely to pay their rent, and not run out after months of no pay. Good luck finding a person with good credit that wants to rent a 50,000 dollar home and wants neighbors like that. You might find one, in a thousand.

If you can't afford to be a good landlord maybe you should just put it on the back burner. It takes money to make money. IMO.
A lot of people try and make a business out of nothing, but you have to be realistic. Not meaning to offend, I'm sure you know what I mean.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:26 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well, you have to look at the target audience. Do some research on who is most likely to pay their rent, and not run out after months of no pay. Good luck finding a person with good credit that wants to rent a 50,000 dollar home and wants neighbors like that. You might find one, in a thousand.

If you can't afford to be a good landlord maybe you should just put it on the back burner. It takes money to make money. IMO.
A lot of people try and make a business out of nothing, but you have to be realistic. Not meaning to offend, I'm sure you know what I mean.
Actually some of the most profitable rentals are low-end, and the rent price doesn't necessarily mean the tenants are inherently bad. In a property management class I took a while back the 40-year veteran property manager who taught the class claimed the worst tenants were lawyers. In fact, it was one of his written "exclusions" he provided to all tenants under the fair housing laws. " no lawyers, no felons, no aggressive dogs, no waterbeds, etc"...

That said, these places are too much work & too much cash out-of-pocket for small investors. Financing anything under $50k is a problem, and if you add in even $10k in necessary repairs, you've got $60k cash hanging on one tired unit. With good credit, you could probably do at least 2 and possibly 3 more expensive properties using financing & net a much more reliable income stream & better "cash on cash" return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area