Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 PM

20 posts, read 39,149 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in a condo in suburban Atlanta. I am considering several cities for my next move, here in a year or so (L.A., Chicago, Phoenix). So, I really want to settle down and have a life partner, kids, and a nice house in the suburbs. So, my question is, how much prejudice would a same-sex headed family in Phoenix face (in areas such as school for our kids, their friends sleeping over, neighbor relations)? Which suburban cities would be the best for this kind of family, two men and their child or children. I will be able to spend about $400,000-$500,000 on a house. I'm a nurse so I can really get a job anywhere and I like the climate, geography, and the atmosphere of Phoenix. Thank you all!

Last edited by ATL_RN123; 06-13-2012 at 10:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 06:07 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
I think it's a non-issue. Lots of gay couples and families in the Phoenix metro area. I don't think it raises eyebrows anymore. You might find a more open attitude in Phoenix proper, Tempe, and Chandler, and somewhat less in Mesa and Gilbert.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:28 AM

846 posts, read 1,401,298 times
Overall, the tone is acceptance. And I would agree about the areas of where to live--but Central Phoenix has more of the resources and same-sex couples I feel living there. I am in a same-sex relationship and although I have no desire for children, I know a few gay friends that have them.

Personally, I have had trouble at hospitals with my partner visiting me when I was sick in the ICU.

My friends with kids have had multiple problems with childcare related things--which I think most should be discussed via PM if you'd like to know.

My friends that have had the most difficulties moved away and because of political climate, and when another friend graduates he will be moving to Chicago to raise a family.

As I said, the community isn't a significant problem but other, more uncontrollable things may be. Of course, these incidents you may never experience.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:53 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
My feeling is that it's all about the person(s) and how you relate to your neighbors and your community. People, in general, judge other people by who they are and not by their sexual preferences.

I live in Gilbert and know a couple of same sex couples. They are very well liked and respected in their community.

There are two new hospitals plus the MD Anderson Cancer Treatment Center here, and a lot or medical centers around, so there nurse jobs here, and in nearby cities also.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:55 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Overall, the tone is acceptance. And I would agree about the areas of where to live--but Central Phoenix has more of the resources and same-sex couples I feel living there. I am in a same-sex relationship and although I have no desire for children, I know a few gay friends that have them.

Personally, I have had trouble at hospitals with my partner visiting me when I was sick in the ICU.

My friends with kids have had multiple problems with childcare related things--which I think most should be discussed via PM if you'd like to know.

My friends that have had the most difficulties moved away and because of political climate, and when another friend graduates he will be moving to Chicago to raise a family.
As I said, the community isn't a significant problem but other, more uncontrollable things may be. Of course, these incidents you may never experience.
You hit the nail on the head. The people in Phoenix are tolerant by and large, but they are represented in the legislature by a group of right wing social conservatives that make your skin crawl with their talk, antics, and legislative initiatives. So while on a day to day basis you will have few issues with people you meet, when you listen to the news, read the paper, or try to exercise what you think are your human rights you will surely think that you are deep in some bible belt backwater in 1956. If you can accept that these morons are not representative of your neighbors and friends but are the product of gerrymandered districts and voter apathy, you can be comfortable here. If not, you are not going to be happy.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
I would avoid Mesa and Gilbert. Anywhere else should be fine.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times
Moderator cut: off topic I love AZ because I am from here, but have found that my neighbors seem a little close-minded to people who are different than they are. I live in Queen Creek, which is very East Valley in location.
Good luck!

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-14-2012 at 10:13 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 01:11 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You hit the nail on the head. The people in Phoenix are tolerant by and large, but they are represented in the legislature by a group of right wing social conservatives that make your skin crawl with their talk, antics, and legislative initiatives. So while on a day to day basis you will have few issues with people you meet, when you listen to the news, read the paper, or try to exercise what you think are your human rights you will surely think that you are deep in some bible belt backwater in 1956. If you can accept that these morons are not representative of your neighbors and friends but are the product of gerrymandered districts and voter apathy, you can be comfortable here. If not, you are not going to be happy.
Very well-written.

I haven't noticed any real prejudice in Phoenix and vicinity, be it racial, gender-preference, or anything else.

I think it's because the area is made up of many people who have moved here from somewhere else, so there are people from all different walks of life. Diversity is a non-issue here.

It's exactly as you wrote, most people here are pretty tolerant but the loons in the legislature are the ones to watch out for.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:28 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_RN123 View Post
I am currently living in a condo in suburban Atlanta. I am considering several cities for my next move, here in a year or so (L.A., Chicago, Phoenix). So, I really want to settle down and have a life partner, kids, and a nice house in the suburbs. So, my question is, how much prejudice would a same-sex headed family in Phoenix face (in areas such as school for our kids, their friends sleeping over, neighbor relations)? Which suburban cities would be the best for this kind of family, two men and their child or children. I will be able to spend about $400,000-$500,000 on a house. I'm a nurse so I can really get a job anywhere and I like the climate, geography, and the atmosphere of Phoenix. Thank you all!
I always find posts like this very interesting. Put aside the issue of same-sex family (as I think you will be accepted anywhere if you are nice people) and let's discuss 3 cities that could not be more unalike. Lifestyles in Chicago, Phoenix and L.A. are very different. Of course there is the weather, and the political views. But it also depends on what you like to do. Phoenix lacks many of the world class cultural venues (Oh, boy I cannot wait to see the rebuttals from this statement), like museums, art galleries, theater, etc., but makes up for it with great natural amenities such as year long outdoor activities like hiking, tennis, swimming, etc. Housing costs are much lower here, but public transportation is very poor here compared with the other two. Food and dining at each of the cities is very different. It is not that you cannot make it work, but if you are always wishing you were somewhere else you will be miserable.

Bottom line is you should find a place that offers a amenities that suit what you like to do, then live there.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:17 PM

240 posts, read 838,336 times
Clarification on Mesa and Gilbert... see map below.

The lighter pinks to white on the Prop 102 map are more tolerant. I took that map, added a road map, and made it blink so you can see where the suburb boundaries are located.

West Mesa and West Gilbert are generally more tolerant whereas East Mesa and East Gilbert are generally more conservative. There are spots elsewhere in Mesa, Gilbert, and other places that are more tolerant as well. Not every suburb can be painted one way, and y'all can come to Dobson Ranch anytime.

Proposition 102 was a prop to define marriage between man/woman. Darker pinks are in favor of Prop 102 to define marriage between a man and woman. As you can see from the Prop 102 map, the most tolerant areas are in Phoenix and Tempe, and with $400-500K you could get a decent place.

That red spot in north/central Mesa (I think) is in the Mountain View High School district.

Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area