Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 PM

50 posts, read 83,732 times

Advertisements

Mesa is a huge city with a lot of diversity. You've got downtown, the old orange-field mansions, the disappearing farmland, the trailer-trashies, elderly slums, old people resorts (Seizure World), and brand new developments in what was previously farmland in the southeast and desert in the northeast. That having been said, Mesa has a bit of a reputation as being a step-down from some of the other cities, but a step-up from Apache Junction. It's not as trendy as Tempe or Chandler, but it's not all bad.

It's really the size which makes pretty much anything you say about it true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I've never been a fan of Mesa, it just seems dull and boring; it's the third biggest city in Arizona yet it doesn't have a whole lot going for it. Mesa could be a much nicer place but I blame the city council for vetoing many projects and developments that would add some needed culture and entertainment to the area. The cost of living is cheap in Mesa for a reason, not a place I'd recommend raising a family because of the crime, drugs, and assaults.

The lack of zoning in Mesa is atrocious too, poverty-stricken areas next to middle class neighborhoods next to business districts...it's awful and I despise it. I prefer a much neater, more organized zoning code that allows for separate business districts and residential areas with clear boundaries between all.

This. Mesa's incredibly plain and nothing about it screams a destination to visit. Their "convention center" is pretty sad, half a dozen blue-hairs strolling through any "event." To me its just a place I drive through to get to other destinations but there's definitely some nice housing communities out there, the western parts are nice for families but not much to do in the city itself.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:57 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayManne View Post
Mesa is a huge city with a lot of diversity. You've got downtown, the old orange-field mansions, the disappearing farmland, the trailer-trashies, elderly slums, old people resorts (Seizure World), and brand new developments in what was previously farmland in the southeast and desert in the northeast. That having been said, Mesa has a bit of a reputation as being a step-down from some of the other cities, but a step-up from Apache Junction. It's not as trendy as Tempe or Chandler, but it's not all bad.

It's really the size which makes pretty much anything you say about it true.

You're not being fair enough.....I'd rank it above Maricopa as well.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Thanks for all the responses to my inquiry, and nice photos too. Don't want to conjure up any old stereotypes about Mesa, it looks good to me. I'd love to own one of those nice 70's ranch homes. Phoenix has so many areas like that too, like Peoria and Glendale.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:33 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
I usually stay at one of the hotels across the street from Fiesta Mall whenver I drive from LA to Tucson to visit a buddy of mine who moved there two years ago, and the highlight for me was the best-I've-ever-had French Toast @ Crackers & Co. Cafe on Iron Street behind the Home Depot.

While that area has (apparently) taken a hit since Borders Books went kaput as did the Lone Star Steakhouse, I didn't see too many other signs of a haphazard pattern of development.

Care to clue me in, since I haven't been there since 2010, but will be returning in October?

Old 07-29-2012, 11:43 PM

7 posts, read 23,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I usually stay at one of the hotels across the street from Fiesta Mall whenver I drive from LA to Tucson to visit a buddy of mine who moved there two years ago, and the highlight for me was the best-I've-ever-had French Toast @ Crackers & Co. Cafe on Iron Street behind the Home Depot.

While that area has (apparently) taken a hit since Borders Books went kaput as did the Lone Star Steakhouse, I didn't see too many other signs of a haphazard pattern of development.

Care to clue me in, since I haven't been there since 2010, but will be returning in October?
Take the area from Dobson to Alma School from about the 202 to Main. You'll see Mesa Riverview. You'll also see seedy by-the-hour motels, small working-class ranch houses from the 60s, mid-size ranch houses from the 90s, and giant, stately homes both older and newer, all in an area that's something like four square miles. I used to walk along the canal between Alma School and Dobson years ago and in about 1.5 miles you'd go by all of the above sorts of homes.

I rather enjoyed living in an area like that, but things changed.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:34 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,079,872 times
I tend to agree with much of what has been said about Mesa. Yes, it's a very diverse city by Phoenix standards, and by that I don't mean just ethnically or racially but in every sense of the word - the housing, the age and types of developments, etc. It's a unique city in that it's unlike any other city of it's size anywhere. It's got a population larger than Miami, St. Louis, or Cincinnatti but a more suburban feel and a less defined urban core. It is a hodgepodge of just about everything aside from real high density neighborhoods. You have old, 60's style roadside development (Main St/Apache Trail), a newly rebuilt and landscaped downtown, a light rail system that's about to grow, 50's and 60's tract homes, $1,000,000+ homes in golf course communities, two airports (Falcon Field and Phoenix-Mesa Gateway) that are also growing, pretty good schools, a large Mormon population (especially on the east side), a Cubs spring training facility (and they are building a new one now), and great areas where you still have remnants of the citrus farming past. One more good thing is that the City leadership is progressive and are making things happen to improve the city, as others have attested to. Mayor Smith is a keeper.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 6,278 times
I grew up in Mesa. Lived there from 1979 to 1995 then again from 2005-2010 while attending ASU. I noticed that the area where I lived as a kid has changed a lot Dobson/Main they tore down Tri City mall and put in some public transportation. Pretty much renovated that whole corner. The part of Main street which was always bad still seemed just as bad. Lots of cheap motels (prostitutes and addicts). As far as the Mexican, Mormon, Tweaker comments they are true. Many of the founders of the city were Mormon and many of them still have a strong presence. That being said unless you are bigoted against Mormons and Mexicans it doesn't really matter. The disproportionate level of crimes such as kidnappings, assaults and home invasions you might hear about aren't random. If you aren't involved in human/narco trafficking nothing to worry about.

Long story short I would never move back to west Mesa now that I have a family. East Mesa, Gilbert and parts of Chandler get you more for your money whether renting or buying. Basically 10 minutes more on your commute each way and you get cleaner air, newer houses better schools and less crime.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:27 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
There are nice parts to Mesa but overall it's a city in decline. Most people who choose to live in the far East Valley will choose to live in Gilbert. There are exceptions such as those who live in the upper north eastern part of Mesa but overall, the area is in decline. I still remember when the Fiesta Mall area was a really nice area. Heck, I remember when Apache Blvd/Main St wasn't even that bad. There were a lot more restaurants, stores and development. I still remember all the car dealerships and large furniture stores in western Mesa and that entire area has become bad. As Tempe, Chandler and Gilbert developed, Mesa took a huge dive. As others have said, Mesa hurt itself. Mesa had a chance to get the Cardinals stadium and passed on it.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb503 View Post
I grew up in Mesa. Lived there from 1979 to 1995 then again from 2005-2010 while attending ASU. I noticed that the area where I lived as a kid has changed a lot Dobson/Main they tore down Tri City mall and put in some public transportation. Pretty much renovated that whole corner. The part of Main street which was always bad still seemed just as bad. Lots of cheap motels (prostitutes and addicts). As far as the Mexican, Mormon, Tweaker comments they are true. Many of the founders of the city were Mormon and many of them still have a strong presence. That being said unless you are bigoted against Mormons and Mexicans it doesn't really matter. The disproportionate level of crimes such as kidnappings, assaults and home invasions you might hear about aren't random. If you aren't involved in human/narco trafficking nothing to worry about.

Long story short I would never move back to west Mesa now that I have a family. East Mesa, Gilbert and parts of Chandler get you more for your money whether renting or buying. Basically 10 minutes more on your commute each way and you get cleaner air, newer houses better schools and less crime.
I agree with your assessment. The Mormons and the Mexicans never bothered me about Mesa and they get a bad rap in my opinion. I thought they were fine and a pleasure to deal with. The people I had a problem with in Mesa were the good ole boys. When you got pulled over in Mesa, it felt like you were getting pulled over in the South. In certain parts of Mesa, it almost feels like you aren't in Phoenix and you've been transplanted to some place in the South. There are reports of white supremacist gangs and hate crimes there. After 911, a Sikh gas station owner was shot because some dumb redneck thought he was a terrorist because of his beard. If you are a minority, you really have to be careful where you are in certain parts of Mesa. It can be very hick.

But I will say this, certain parts of Mesa are beautiful and I would live there. And those parts don't represent the negative stereotypes of Mesa. As mentioned earlier, the northeastern fringe areas are really nice like Las Sendas.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-18-2013 at 11:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area