Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 05:34 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,163,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Big not only in population, but area. Something very common I see on this forum is how people post they are moving to Phoenix, and want advice on housing, commutes, shopping, etc., but they often don't say what PART of Phoenix they are moving to. The city itself consists of over 500 square miles. Not only that, but there are vast differences between areas like Moon Valley, Maryvale, Desert Ridge, and Arcadia. Many newbies also don't realize that Phoenix has a distinct division between east & west, and north & south sides. Numbered avenues, drives, and lanes are west of Central Avenue, and numbered streets, places, and ways are east of Central ... and there are often huge differences. For example, 24th Street & Camelback is a LOT different than 24th Avenue & Camelback.

Another good one is how some people think of Scottsdale as all high end, snobbish, and wealthy. I think that could be largely because Scottsdale is portrayed as either: luxurious resorts & spas, or the areas around Fashion Square, Waterfront, downtown, and Old Town. The fact is that Scottsdale is a city with a lot of land area which extends very far north. The far northern fringes are mostly high desert & mountainous terrain that border on the Tonto National Forest. Much of south Scottsdale is working class, and many neighborhoods east of downtown are older and not posh by any means. For a suburb, it's really a city of its own & quite diverse.

Travel distance & times are a popular item of disccussion as well ... and the concept of what actually defines being "centrally located". I've seen comments that portray areas like Ahwatukee as being "centrally located", which I find rather amusing. Try driving from the Ahwatukee Foothills on surface streets, then hopping on the I10 to a TRUE centrally located area like downtown Phoenix during morning rush hour, and then come back and tell us how centrally located Ahwatukee really is!

I believe a lot of the misconception comes from people who are moving from smaller towns, or more compacted cities. They don't realize how large the Valley of the Sun truly is, and how long it can take to commute from one side to the other, even with wide freeways & good traffic conditions. One joke I like to tell is how you can be 40 miles north of downtown Phoenix & still be in the city of Phoenix. Actually, that's more of a reality, but it makes for some good humor.
THIS is the topic - not primarily urban planning or traffic congestion. Let's stick to the topic, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 05:03 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,350 times
i don't know if it's just limited to newcomers...i always found it frustrating to search craigslist and have people not put more specific location information in their ads. It seemed to me that people who live on the outer fringes of town often tried to downplay where they're at to make it sound like they were much closer to the central areas. We also saw a lot of homes that were in apache junction listed as if they were in mesa, back when we were buying a home in 2009.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:04 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
i don't know if it's just limited to newcomers...i always found it frustrating to search craigslist and have people not put more specific location information in their ads. It seemed to me that people who live on the outer fringes of town often tried to downplay where they're at to make it sound like they were much closer to the central areas. We also saw a lot of homes that were in apache junction listed as if they were in mesa, back when we were buying a home in 2009.
It's somewhat that way on this forum too. Lots of generalized threads about "moving to Phoenix", but many of them aren't specific enough as to what PART of Phoenix. I think many people who start these threads really mean they are considering moving to metro Phoenix because some may prefer a suburb & wouldn't really want to live city of Phoenix. Even if they are looking in Phoenix itself, just the city alone covers 500 square miles ... and it would be more helpful if more people stated the section, the district, or even the major cross streets of where they are looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area