Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,720,998 times

Advertisements

AAA gives you FREE Maps if you sign up. A little over $100/year for Plus coverage (recommended since you get 200 mile and several 100 mile free tows/year). For basic coverage, think it's probably about $60. Highly recommended out here. My battery after several years went dead in early June. AAA replaced it on the spot and their deal is they will replace it for free if it fries within 3 years. Living here, the heat will wear out the juice even more than the bitter cold over time. AAA out in Mesa off the 60 near Val Vista Exit is where I renewed my membership out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 01:17 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,278,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
There is a feature on google maps that allows you to see all the shops and businesses around the area you are looking at. Also a nice feature is the street view. Mess around with it for a bit, you'll find them.
I agree about Google Maps & Street View. They really come in handy when you're traveling, and looking for certain addresses, streetscapes, and landmarks. The problem with that is you have to pretty much mark your travel destinations before driving there. That's why I still like the street atlasses to a point. All you have to do is pull over and grab the book ... whereas many people may not have access to a computer or a smart phone to map out things while in the car (and it can take even longer for your computer or phone to boot up or quit buffering than it could to just grab the ol' atlas). Unfortunately, folded maps and atlas books are becoming outdated like the phone books!
()

Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 AM

391 posts, read 788,551 times
Yah google maps and a gps. However, we still picked up an atlas at Walmart. I don't always trust the gps with the route. And google maps is hard to deal with in the car. The atlas often came in handy. Was it a comptons atlas? Does that sound right? We left it in Phoenix or I would just go have a look at it.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,344,991 times
Google +"thomas bros maps" they are owned by Rand Mcnally now - but by far the easiest to use hard copy street atlas available. The Phoenix and Maricopa county coverage is good - it has some Pinal county also, but not as good. For Pinal I bought the + "yellow1" version (www.maps4u.com), not QUITE as easy to use as Thomas Bros, but pretty close, and a lot more accurate/complete for Pinal county.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 PM

800 posts, read 1,912,433 times
Google Maps acts as a GPS on Google-enabled smartphones. Not only will it guide you to your destination, but it will show you a picture of your destination when you get close. Unlike most GPS's you can enable satellite mode or street view to help you even more. It will tell you what businesses are around, and give you up-to-date traffic info. Gotta love it!

Even if you use it online without the GPS you can obtain all of the non-GPS features. Play around with it - you might like it!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 AM

205 posts, read 573,063 times
The best city maps by far, are the maps from the rental car companies. Hertz has great great city maps. If you are visiting your prospective home soon, stop in at a rental car place and get a map while you are in town. Your local agents will not have maps readily available for a different city other than what they are serving.

It wont have so much the businesses on it, but the layout of roads, and driving is top notch.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:00 PM

196 posts, read 262,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
It would be worth your while to invest in a Phoenix street atlas. It shouldn't be hard to find one from am@zon or some place like that.
yeah man, thats what i was thinking since i know nothing about phx. just that i know my home awaits. i'm a great asset to az. i'm a hard worker, and like to get things done-- not just done but the RIGHT way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
Google Maps acts as a GPS on Google-enabled smartphones. Not only will it guide you to your destination, but it will show you a picture of your destination when you get close. Unlike most GPS's you can enable satellite mode or street view to help you even more. It will tell you what businesses are around, and give you up-to-date traffic info. Gotta love it!

Even if you use it online without the GPS you can obtain all of the non-GPS features. Play around with it - you might like it!
good idea. i used that here one time when i went to a bigger city. worrked great. hate to use my cell tho since i have limits set bc the dang cell carrier is so expensive. but yeah i mite use it anyway when i think i'm close. great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
Yah google maps and a gps. However, we still picked up an atlas at Walmart. I don't always trust the gps with the route. And google maps is hard to deal with in the car. The atlas often came in handy. Was it a comptons atlas? Does that sound right? We left it in Phoenix or I would just go have a look at it.
i agree. google can b a little hard to manage. however, maps seem to be good. i might get one. just bc some roads are not updated in a gps causing more confusion. thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Google +"thomas bros maps" they are owned by Rand Mcnally now - but by far the easiest to use hard copy street atlas available. The Phoenix and Maricopa county coverage is good - it has some Pinal county also, but not as good. For Pinal I bought the + "yellow1" version (www.maps4u.com), not QUITE as easy to use as Thomas Bros, but pretty close, and a lot more accurate/complete for Pinal county.
good idea. sounds like a plan. i will definitely look this up. i have a rand-mcnally but its a few yrs old and doesnt break down the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I agree about Google Maps & Street View. They really come in handy when you're traveling, and looking for certain addresses, streetscapes, and landmarks. The problem with that is you have to pretty much mark your travel destinations before driving there. That's why I still like the street atlasses to a point. All you have to do is pull over and grab the book ... whereas many people may not have access to a computer or a smart phone to map out things while in the car (and it can take even longer for your computer or phone to boot up or quit buffering than it could to just grab the ol' atlas). Unfortunately, folded maps and atlas books are becoming outdated like the phone books!
()
you said it the best! thanks. that is what i was thinking. easier to just grab a map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Google Maps is my holy grail even with GPS when embarking on traveling to a new spot. Trust it more than GPS. I remember a ways back you expressed your desire to move here Adele. I appreciate your passion in starting a new chapter and hope you find success out here.
thanks man, i have been hardcore looking to move and finally I'm going for it. end of sept or beg in oct... that is my date area. i have to get cleared from a dr to trvl. minor surgery. i had been my dream to move for about 5yrs just couldnt make it work then-- wish i could have. things would have been so much easier. also, i appreciate AZ a lot more. i truly belive in my heart AZ is my home. thanks for the kind words in wishing me luck. i will be a super busy girl getting things started. but i am determined and willing.
maps are a must for moving to a small city. u should c the town (what's smaller than a town, speck) that i live in. hahaha. its a joke so i am trying to prepare for the BIG city. thanks again for ur kind words. if u c me anywhere b sure to say hi.... that goes for anyone. i'm super friendly and like talking to new people. not what az needs.. i hear ppl stay to themselves. i'm a whole different animal when it comes to all that. hehehe.

Last edited by observer53; 07-18-2012 at 03:33 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Barnes and Noble.
yes, great idea. i will look into that. c what kind of map i need. thanks!

Old 07-18-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
There is a feature on google maps that allows you to see all the shops and businesses around the area you are looking at. Also a nice feature is the street view. Mess around with it for a bit, you'll find them.
i have ran across that feature but didnt go into detail. i will try that. it might be a great information gadget. thanks. i will look online and then get a paper copy for my car. poor car will b loaded with maps...hahaha. but hopefully i wont get lost and that is key. do not want a interview 30mins away thinking its 5mins. that would so not be cool.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:06 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,001,175 times
Phoenix is fairly simple to navigate, so I don't think you'll have many problems. All the roads either run north/south or east/west.. very few of them curve, and you can usually take the same road from one side of the city to the other, without issue. Not to mention once you learn to recognize the mountains, you'll instantly know what direction you're heading.

Give it a couple days and I'm sure you'll be good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area