Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 01:28 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
These are very likely air quality issues. Nobody here is giving a 100% diagnosis over the internet. Interior mold in Phoenix is not a prevalent issue. If this was Seattle Washington, then yes, interior mold would be a good possibility.

Nobody here knows IF the OP's home is filled with mold (not likely), but we do know for a FACT is that the Phoenix air quality is atrocious and the American Lung Association, EPA and others have verified this and have studies to back it. What we do know for a FACT is that the atrocious air quality in Phoenix can and does cause the symptoms the OP's family is having. Beyond that, it is up to the OP to get tested and find out what is causing this.
Actually - black mold IS a problem in the greater Phoenix area. Here's just one site about it. Desert Fungus is also a problem - and will show up after desert rains. Your site about Phoenix being the worst actually shows us further down the list now. It depends on the time of year and the rains could definitely kick something up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The difference though is that it is psychological versus physiological. People who sit in the house and b**** about the weather in summer deserve to be sad. If they get off their duffs there is plenty to do. When I was younger I played in volleyball leagues, went bowling, was on a mens softball team for a time - all of this in the summer nights after work. I went to happy hours and danced a bit after work on Wednesdays, did a little karaoke, and belonged to a couple of clubs and took self interest courses like cooking and welding at community college. We went camping or exploring AZ every weekend, often to Apache Lake. The summers flew by. SADly, as I have become older, I do less and less and lay around and complain about the heat. That does make for a much longer and more grueling summer I have noticed. I have resolved to change. Next year!
Actually, Ponderosa, the fact is that a lot of people don't get full body exposure to the sun in the summer because of the heat. And it is most certainly NOT just psychological. Studies have shown that SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) happens both in the summer and in the winter and happens in many different locales. Although this doesn't sound like that.

Who knows what this is - food poisoning? Problem house? Mold? Flu? Colds? Valley Fever? The only way to tell is to go see a doctor and have some tests done. Then let us know.

Hope y'all get better!
As with everything else, This too Shall Pass!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 AM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit! Get it!! (of course ask your doctor!!)

Stumbled across this thread and feel your pain. I have allergies and asthma and the NeilMed Kit literally saved me from (a second) sinus surgery!! It's kind of weird to use at first, but you get used to it, and I wish I could give the guy who put this relatively easy (and natural) remedy together a big hug!

I live in California BTW, and the few times we'd drive into Phoenix to visit relatives, my throat would immediately start itching from the dust!

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
It's going around. I've had it as of late, so have my family. A lot of people at work and school out with it. It's long, 3 to 4 weeks and it seems to come in waves. I felt it come on for a week, felt better then it seemed to start all over again a week later. Same thing with everyone I know who has it. This is a back to school cold/mild flu, every year at this time something starts to make it's rounds.
A lot of people think it is allergies at work but the way it's going from person to person tells me it's a virus. Just time and fluids should do it. It's long, and wipes you out a bit. If you have asthma it's worse. Hope you all feel better soon.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisarn1987 View Post
My family has taken turns having this too. It's awful. And contagious, our friends that visited from Ok took it back with them. Lasts for weeks.
Nice gift you gave your friends. lol Well, at least they took something from Arizona back home.
Yes, this virus sucks!! It's the cold that keeps on giving. Not looking forward to cold and flu season but I am looking forward to the nice temps.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
No, it's not Valley Fever - your entire family is ill, VF is not contagious, and all those symptoms are not the same as VF. Sounds as if your son has seen a doctor. What about the rest of you? What does your doctor say? And why would there be a website???
Just a side note, the symptoms described actually can be associated with VF. As for being contagious, you're mostly correct only from blood as I'm given to understand. I'm told that's why I and others with VF are no longer allowed to donate blood or be organ donors as VF never leaves your system it just goes dormant.
As for the OP, odds are since the whole family is ill you're probably right about it not being VF but as I'm not a doctor I can't say for certain.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:16 PM

777 posts, read 1,337,052 times
I got sick last friday. Was mostly a sinus cold, with some body aches for one day. Progressed to sneezing and coughing due to mucus in my lungs. Meh. However, the netti-pot + apple cider vinegar + airborne + broth/soups/100% juices/no junk food whatsoever = cold be gone in one week. With the worst of it ending in 3 days. Nothing I hate more than runny/stuffy noses, so when I can get rid of that in 3 days, I'm happy and couldn't give crap about the coughing.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:27 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,568,482 times
Started with a few days of sore throat and now have a mild cold. Must be something going around during the change of season as per usual, by the way.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 957 times
I have been sick since Sept. 10, with well-marked periods of extreme coughing, then days of fever, now such fatigue it's hard to describe. Out of breath just walking across the room. Our daughter caught it too (way longer than 7 days in). I'm going to doc (again) tomorrow. My chest still hurts and can't breathe all the way in. Have lived in AZ for 45 years, and this is NOT from mold, dust, or bad air. It is extremely contagious. I had the Hong Kong Flu in 1968 and this is much worse. I want to get a flu shot but can't until I'm well. You will know if you get it, believe me!

Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindylou15 View Post
I have been sick since Sept. 10, with well-marked periods of extreme coughing, then days of fever, now such fatigue it's hard to describe. Out of breath just walking across the room. Our daughter caught it too (way longer than 7 days in). I'm going to doc (again) tomorrow. My chest still hurts and can't breathe all the way in. Have lived in AZ for 45 years, and this is NOT from mold, dust, or bad air. It is extremely contagious. I had the Hong Kong Flu in 1968 and this is much worse. I want to get a flu shot but can't until I'm well. You will know if you get it, believe me!
Are you sure it isn't Valley Fever? Sounds a whole lot like it to me.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:11 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Are you sure it isn't Valley Fever? Sounds a whole lot like it to me.
Valley Fever is not contagious. She said her daughter caught it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area