Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:27 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,994,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric618 View Post
Hey all,

First off, I LOVE this forum. It's packed full of info that's helped me tremendously over the years when I moved in the past.

My fiance and I are heading to Phoenix this December to visit and check out the area. If all goes well, we will be moving there next Spring.

Question(s) I have are what should I focus on when checking the area out? We're hoping to buy a house once we settle ($150k range) in the Avondale/Glendale area. She works in pharmaceuticals (B.S. in Biology) and I work in mental health (M.S. in Counseling). What should we know about buying a place, particularly in west Phoenix area, and what should we know about the job market. Any information, regardless of how seemingly irrelevant, is greatly welcomed and appreciated...

Thanks SO much!!!
I moved out of the state in June.... NEVER BEEN HAPPIER!!! Just saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 10:01 PM

9,538 posts, read 16,538,766 times
This is what I did and I just arrived in Phx this week. Although I had some ideas of where to live. I just did not know where would be best to look in this Metro. Plus the size of Phx Metro felt somewhat overwhelming to me. So I asked people about the Metro area and people were quite helpful including on this website. I did not want to own at least for a year. I also knew there was a possiblity I might not want to own again in life. I felt for me that would be a terrible mistake to buy something right off. So this is what I did. Now I am a younger retiree so full time employment was not a concern for me. I could live anywhere in Metro Phx as long as it was a nice area that is. I ended up in a beautiful 2 bedroom home in Sun City West right by Surprise. For me this works because it is clean newer and I will feel safe there. Again I don't have to look for a full time job so commuting is not an issue for me. For a younger person it is a major concern as to where they will live, and where they will work in this massive Metro. If I like the Phx area enough after the year. Then I can buy a home in the community where I am at for a very decent price. I do not recommed buying a home in a region of the country, that you are not from and not familiar enough with. I recommend doing what I did. Rent a nice home or apt in an area. that you feel is a good possibility to become a permanent location for you. That way you can scope out the area, and have a nice living arrangment while you adjust to the area. Nothing can turn a person off to a new area than bad experiences. Such as buying a home in that unfamiliar area, and then having a lousy commute to a job that may end up being unappealing. Or unfriendly type neighbors that make a nighborhood miserable. Or finding your in an area with alot more crime than your use to dealing with.

Please rent first and do yourself that favor while you adjust to the area. You can always buy something when your more sure of where your at.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:24 AM

446 posts, read 710,247 times
Check out the Peoria/Arrowhead area. Avondale is a long way from anywhere and it's a kind of nothing neighborhood. Sorry Avondale, but I know people who live there and they feel the same way.

I was in a store last week talking with the shopkeeper. He said, 'I'm from Phoenix. I grew up here. My friends and family are here. That's why I stay. But why would anyone MOVE HERE FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE? It's a desert'.

Some people move here for a job. Or because they really like hot weather. But like he said, 'IT'S A DESERT'.

I'm stuck here but every day I wish I lived someplace with trees. And green. And water. And parks (real parks, not rocks and sand). And neighborhoods.

Sorry to be negative I just want you to know what you're getting into. Scorpions. Sand. Heat. Flat. Lack of vegetation. DESERT.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:08 AM

202 posts, read 408,641 times
Thanks for the input, guys! I've heard conflicting opinions regarding the desert thing. Many are in your camp citing the surroundings, LS35a, and others actually love that about the area. I'll be honest, I'm a little torn.

I am very much looking forward to my trip out there in a few months to really check out the area, however!

Regarding a job... Yeah, I have no idea! Haha. My looking at areas now is just primarily out of curiosity. Surely that will change if/when I secure a good job and I have a better idea of the area I'll be working in.

Again, yhank you all for your input so far!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:58 PM

56 posts, read 156,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I moved out of the state in June.... NEVER BEEN HAPPIER!!! Just saying
I see your move out of state and raise you a move to another country (Canada). We can't wait to get out of here next Spring...

also, just sayin'

Old 09-05-2012, 02:05 PM

188 posts, read 516,041 times
I think one of the big things about Arizona that is often lost in the mix is the politics here. Although there are plenty of progressive liberal young adults around... it's quite conservative here. The culture here embraces the 'fort' mentality building walls around everything and not really interacting with the neighborhood or community at large. There are exceptions to this rule... but I've never seen so many walls in my entire life than here. I've traveled to many states and cities and have yet to find anything that comes close to this. It might work for some people, but just be prepared not to know the people that live five houses down from you... possibly ever.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:11 PM

202 posts, read 408,641 times
Yeah, I've heard that from others. Even looking at houses online, it's like a city of fences.

I'm really friendly, but also painfully shy with people I don't know. I bought my current house just under three years ago. There are still some neighbors I've never talked to. Again, not because I'm against it, just because I'm a sad little introvert and suck at initiating conversation. lol

Old 09-05-2012, 03:57 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,166,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarichter View Post
I think one of the big things about Arizona that is often lost in the mix is the politics here. Although there are plenty of progressive liberal young adults around... it's quite conservative here. The culture here embraces the 'fort' mentality building walls around everything and not really interacting with the neighborhood or community at large. There are exceptions to this rule... but I've never seen so many walls in my entire life than here. I've traveled to many states and cities and have yet to find anything that comes close to this. It might work for some people, but just be prepared not to know the people that live five houses down from you... possibly ever.

Fenced properties are not related in any way whatsoever with politics, so let's not try to link the two, please. I lived the first 30 years of my life in Los Angeles, and every house in the area was fenced. On the other hand, when I lived in Oregon, most properties had minimal fencing. It's related to geographical location, not political leanings.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarichter View Post
The walls have nothing to do with conservative politics. If you are used to areas that have no back yard fences, then yes, it's different. And, there's no front porches, as a rule. Big chunks of southern California, and other places, are the same way. It's not just the Phoenix area. There are lots of neighborhoods as you describe, but others where there is interaction between the neighbors. People who want to find friendships with their neighbors generally can.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:18 AM

213 posts, read 377,176 times
I moved here from New York almost a year ago and I LOVE IT. Desert, rocks, sand, searing heat, SUNSHINE, SUNSHINE, SUNSHINE and blue skies. Just sayin......

I do agree that you should rent first. We rented for 6 months and were prepared to rent for several years until we decided on the perfect place for us to buy. We finally decided to purchase a condo in North Scottsdale and couldn't be happier with our decision. It is my paradise!!

Sue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area