Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:30 AM

517 posts, read 1,704,676 times

Advertisements

ok, as a new arrival I have a few questions. Answer any or all

1. Which temperature do you keep your bedroom at while sleeping?
Our room is usually around 80F. I sometimes find it a little hot, but my wife loves the heat.

2. Do you sleep with blankets or just a sheet?
I prefer a sheet in a hot room, but my wife likes a blanket even in 80F! Is she normal? haha

3. With no Aldi in Phoenix, what is the nearest alternative?
I've tried Food City and Walmart. They are ok, but they ain't Aldi

4. Where can I buy a tub of Brylcreem?
I found some afro sheen type products, but they are too gunky for me. I stupidly assumed Brylcreem was worldwide.

5. Where is the best used furniture store near Chandler?
I've visited Restore in Mesa and Market Square, plus a few Goodwill stores. They have very limited stock. Is there a large site somewhere with a lot of stock?

6. Are there tight planning laws and what you can build in your yard?
I have thoughts of building a recreational wood-based structure, about garage size. Should I be worried about the roof being seen over the 6ft block wall? (It's a non-HOA area).

7. Do most employers really pay weekly with a check?
In the UK most pay is monthly straight into your bank account. They earn interest holding your wages for a month, but you don't have to visit a bank to pay a check in.

8. What are the laws on wearing a gun in public places and the home?
I'm curious what the real laws are. Do people really wear concealed guns when walking through the mall?? How many people are carrying weapons, and if in the home what are the rules?

9. Are termites usually present, and are they totally controllable with home treatments?
We may be buying a wood framed home. Obviously termites could be devastating. Should I be worried?

10. I want an Alsation (German Shepherd). Where can I walk this breed?
Would I have to keep this dog on a leash at all times in public, and are there places I couldn't take it....

And I didn't ask one question about health care! Thank you for your opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 03:28 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Thermostat setting for comfort is entirely up to the individual. What setting others use isn't going to change that. With ceiling fans, I can keep mine above 80 and be comfortable.

I'm not familiar with Aldi, so I can't tell you what else might be comparable. What about Aldi makes it different from another grocery store?

Planning laws/building permit issues vary from city to city. Contact your city's planning dept for information.

Most employers here pay BIweekly. Some offer direct deposit, others do not.

Gun law info I'll leave to those who have one and are more familiar.

I would not say termites are "usually present". I've never had a termite issue, so I'll leave that to others.

There are leash laws in all the cities, and I believe a county ordinance as well. You can walk the dog ON LEASH anywhere in public property areas. Some cities have dog parks with fenced areas where dogs can be off leash.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:24 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
You're going to get answers all over the map on this one. As Observer stated, it's going to depend upon your personal comfort level. We keep our thermometer set at 70 and also use ceiling fans.

Gosh, I hope your next question isn't going to be what do I wear to sleep? (J/K!) We sleep with a very lightweight down blanket, (that I usually have my feet sticking out of).

Sorry, I've never been to one and can't help you there.

I never purchased Brylcreem, but I just did a quick search and see Walgreens carries it. I don't know if it's in their stores or just online, but you could give your local store a call and find out. Amazon and drugstore.com also sell it online.

My fav store for used furniture is IRCA, in Phoenix. They sell used hotel furniture at excellent prices. You can find end tables, lamps, sofas/sofabeds, chairs, kitchen & dining-type tables, desks, armoires and bedroom sets, outside chairs, mirrors, wall hangings, etc. there. They sometimes have appliances, too.

I can't help you here either, but others will likely chime in.

I've found most to pay biweekly with a check. Many employers offer a direct deposit option.

We have very lax gun control regulations here. Inside your home, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

9. Are termites usually present, and are they totally controllable with home treatments?
I think they're usually present in the soil, but you don't want them present in your home. Yes, they are controllable with home treatments. Many people opt to get professional services on a regular basis, others DIY. Here is a quick summary of our most common types of termites.

You can walk it outside on public property, (sidewalks/streets), as long as it is leashed and you clean up after it. As was mentioned, there are dog parks for you to enjoy off leash play time. Pet dogs are not permitted in food establishments and in most retail establishments. As a FYI, it's against the law for a dog to be left unattended in a car here, even with the windows cracked open.

HTH some.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,788 times
I go to Aldi occasionally when I visit my grandparents in Columbus, OH. Aldi is a great discount store for good quality groceries but unfortunately we don't have anything comparable in the Phoenix area. Everyone buys their groceries at the usual chains for the most part (Fry's(Kroger), Safeway, Walmart, Target, etc). We do have great ethnic grocery store chains with a Latino flare such as Phoenix Ranch Market and Food City.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:45 AM

784 posts, read 923,316 times
We turn our temp down to 70 at night and use the ceiling fans...I use a sheet and my wife uses a blanket...our highest bill including the one that just came out was $300 for the month.

Here in Illinois we shop at Walmart, there are two local Aldi stores. In Phoenix my wife shops at Frys and Walmart.

We bought all of our new furniture at LazyBoys and Mor's

Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
We keep ours at 75, that's our preference. How cool you keep it depends on what you're willing to pay/put up with.

Of course sheets with a light weight thermal blanket.

What I'd say is close to Aldi is probably Winco foods.

It is sold worldwide, as was suggested before Walgreens and I believe Walmart as well.

Not in my wheelhouse so I've no idea.

As long as it's a non HOA area you "may" have to pull a building permit but there may be an exclusion for play structures of a certain size. Call the local planning office and ask.

Depends totally on the employer. Private employers generally pay every two weeks and nowadays prefer using direct deposit. Government employers "usually" pay monthly but as with everything I'm sure there's some exceptions.

Yes, people really carry concealed in a whole lot of places here. Instead of trying to explain all the gun laws here and maybe making an error just do a google search on the subject. Heck, I just saw a groupon for a concealed carry class!

Yes and yes. They're here and totally controllable.

We have a 5 month old GSD and she goes almost everywhere we do.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,607,287 times
We keep it at around 79 with the ceiling fan on. Install a fan if you do not have one.

Same as you. Wife likes the blankets I like the sheet.

plenty of grocery stores in the area. Albertson's, Basha's, Fry's, Safeway, Winco.

Amazon.com would be my suggestion.

Stay away from Ikea because it is over priced junk. Basically the same stuff you get at walmart but with a brand name attached.

you better check with the city.

depends on the employer. You can't get direct deposit into your bank account.

Churches, schools, government buildings are off limits. You can wear guns in bars but it becomes illegal if there is a sign posted prohibiting it. I see people carrying. In fact my dad always has a gun on him.

termites around and can be an issue if you let it get out of control. A termite inspection/report is a must when buying a home.

Would I have to keep this dog on a leash at all times in public- yes, keep the dog on a leash when in town. There are dog parks that allow non aggressive dogs to run freely. The dogs must be current on their shots.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:36 AM

606 posts, read 1,606,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post

70!

both

Never heard of Aldi

Never heard of Brylcreem

Don't know

I would check with the city government and get it in writing before doing any building of that nature.

Most pay bi-weekly and Direct Deposit it to your account.

I'm curious what the real laws are. Do people really wear concealed guns when walking through the mall??
Yes! I do and a lot of other people do too!
How many people are carrying weapons, and if in the home what are the rules?
A lot! There are no rules! Arizona is one of the most lax states on gun control. Just buy a gun anywhere, no need to register it, and carry openly if you want, carry concealed if you want, it doesn't matter. Hey, if the criminals are gonna have them, we might as well too!

You need to have a thorough home inspection done before your purchase, and ask them specifically to check for termites. There are treatments, but buying a termite free home would be preferable. I bought a home framed with block instead of wood because it is all in all better.

Anywhere. Arizona is land of the Pitbulls, so no one is going to mind you walking a German Shepard.

If you got insurance, your good.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:22 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post

Our room is usually around 80F. I sometimes find it a little hot, but my wife loves the heat. We keep our thermostat on 24/7 at 74 degrees. That's our comfort zone. Yours may vary.

2. Do you sleep with blankets or just a sheet? Usually a light blanket.
I prefer a sheet in a hot room, but my wife likes a blanket even in 80F! Is she normal? haha

I've tried Food City and Walmart. They are ok, but they ain't Aldi Food City is probably the closest comparison. But Fry's is a very competitive grocer and has a good range of products. Super Target Stores are also competitive and usually nicer than Walmart.

4. Where can I buy a tub of Brylcreem? Drugstores or internet. Drugstores usually can order it. I found some afro sheen type products, but they are too gunky for me. I stupidly assumed Brylcreem was worldwide.

5. Where is the best used furniture store near Chandler? I don't think there is a 'best' used store as used inventory fluctuates too often. Look up resale stores and give them a try.I've visited Restore in Mesa and Market Square, plus a few Goodwill stores. They have very limited stock. Is there a large site somewhere with a lot of stock?

6. Are there tight planning laws and what you can build in your yard? Yes, and you need to confer with the Planning and Zoning dept for your city/county area.
I have thoughts of building a recreational wood-based structure, about garage size. Should I be worried about the roof being seen over the 6ft block wall? (It's a non-HOA area). Zoning laws vary from city to city.

7. Do most employers really pay weekly with a check? Very few pay weekly, most are bi-weekly, some monthly, many are direct deposit.
In the UK most pay is monthly straight into your bank account. They earn interest holding your wages for a month, but you don't have to visit a bank to pay a check in.

8. What are the laws on wearing a gun in public places and the home? AZ is very liberal on guns. Check AZ gun laws on the internet.I'm curious what the real laws are. Do people really wear concealed guns when walking through the mall?? How many people are carrying weapons, and if in the home what are the rules? http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/

We may be buying a wood framed home. Obviously termites could be devastating. Should I be worried? Termites are more of a problem throughout the humid southern states than in AZ. Yes there are termites but they are always controllable.

Would I have to keep this dog on a leash at all times in public, and are there places I couldn't take it....Dogs are allowed on public areas and non aggresive dog parks. When off your property they are to be on a 6 ft leash. Carry pooper bag with you too.

Good luck, welcome to AZ...

Old 09-23-2012, 10:40 AM

73 posts, read 152,654 times
We are on a utility plan where it is cheaper to run your AC in the mornings and evenings and more expensive midday. So, we sleep with our AC at 78 with a ceiling fan.

I use a sheet and a thin blanket. Much thinner than a true comforter. My husband just uses a sheet.

3-5: No idea. Sorry.

Since you aren't in an HOA, I don't think there would be a problem. But you might need a permit, so I would second others and check with the city.

Most employers pay bi-weekly. And they can give you an actual check to take to the bank of direct deposit it into your bank account. My husband and I both get paid bi-weekly direct deposit.

Super lenient. Most states require you to get a gun permit, register a gun, then get a special conceal and carry license (after passing a class) to be able to have a concealed weapon. No such rules in AZ. There are many businesses that have signs posted for no concealed guns, and legally those must be respected (I've seen malls, movie theaters, and restaurants with those signs). As others have said, any government building or school is not a place where you can carry a gun.

There are termites out here, and they are controllable. There are plenty of pest control companies out here, so you can take your pick.

You would have to have the dog leashed in public. Most businesses wouldn't be a fan of you bringing a large dog inside, so you probably wouldn't want to bring him/her out on your everyday errands with you. Most parks here explicitly say that dogs must be leashed. The great thing is that there are several dog parks out here all over the valley, so you would have plenty of options for letting him/her have some off-leash play time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area