Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 AM

701 posts, read 1,431,094 times

Advertisements

PJ, given that you have the exact same thread going in the California forum, it sounds like this is a purely speculative exercise. When you're serious about making a move, visit the places you're considering; no back on forth discussions online can substitute for that, and it would be foolish to base a decision on anything you read in these forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 06:59 AM

104 posts, read 199,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
PJ, given that you have the exact same thread going in the California forum, it sounds like this is a purely speculative exercise. When you're serious about making a move, visit the places you're considering; no back on forth discussions online can substitute for that, and it would be foolish to base a decision on anything you read in these forums.
Plain,

I actually started the California forum first thinking in my head that was the best option. The more I've spoke to relatives who live in AZ the more I began considering AZ as the better option. I actually all but took California out of the loop due to its similarities to Long Island, especially the cost if not MORE then NY. My goal here is to mearly gain a generally understanding for some areas I that may suit me for when I do move in the next few years rather then picking a random place in AZ and driving in circles if you know what I mean.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 AM

606 posts, read 1,608,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpalmieri View Post
Thanks for this info. Actually this brings me to a big misconception about New Yorkers. I live in NY yes, but NOT in the city. It seems everyone kindof assumes people coming from NY are coming from the but I'm from your ordinary waterside burb which I love. I never want to live in a city and a big city is not something that interests me. So in regards to you saying Phoenix doesn't compare to NYC that's totally fine with me as thats not what I am looking for. What I mean by boring suburb is your typical senior citizen golf course community with no real civilization for miles and flat dessert as far as the eye can see. I'd like something with better views, thinks to do around me as far as a town and hiking etc. Also, I have no plans on starting a family so this does not to be in a family community, but something safe and desierable of course.
No problem. And I did read your original post, and I saw that you are from LI, so I knew where you were coming from. Actually, maybe it was my bad for not explaining exactly what my main point was clearly enough. The one point that I wanted to share was that Arizona is not anywhere near as urban as NY; and for that reason you could probably live somewhere Arizonans would call "the City", but you may feel very comfortable as it would seem like a suburb to you (something like LI). I guess to rephrase it, you may not want to rule out any certain Arizona areas until you get here and see what an "urban"() area looks like in Arizona.

Oh, and I wasn't trying to say that you won't like AZ because it's not a city like NY, I was trying to say you don't need to be so restrictive in you search because that big-city feel that you dislike in NYC, does not exist here.

I hope that post made more sense; if not, the day you plane touches down and you start driving around the city, you're gonna say, "Dang, now I know what that guy was trying to tell me!". LOL, Good luck!

Last edited by El_Waiboi; 01-24-2013 at 07:42 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
No problem. And I did read your original post, and I saw that you are from LI, so I knew where you were coming from. Actually, maybe it was my bad for not explaining exactly what my main point was clearly enough. The one point that I wanted to share was that Arizona is not anywhere near as urban as NY; and for that reason you could probably live somewhere Arizonans would call "the City", but you may feel very comfortable as it would seem like a suburb to you (something like LI). I guess to rephrase it, you may not want to rule out any certain Arizona areas until you get here and see what an "urban"() area looks like in Arizona.
Good point, I think from here I have a good couple of locations to check out near the Phoenix area. I'll be looking to take a trip to AZ to do some scouting which will give me a better understanding I'm sure but all this inital information has been great.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 AM

1,112 posts, read 4,003,877 times
El_Waiboi is exactly right. Phoenix is a different type of beast than NYC. You will not find ANYTHING similar to Manhattan or even Brooklyn anywhere in Arizona. While the city is trying to promote growth a bit, I believe there are parts of Long Island that are even more "urban" than downtown Phoenix.

You can drive a half mile north along central, out of downtown, and be in single family neighborhoods dating from the 30s and 40s. Very nice neighborhoods, and hardly urban by NY standards. It's all relative to what you're used to.

Another point worth noting is the nature of the suburbs here.

Phoenix has a number of suburbs, but they have nearly ALL grown together into one, seamless, gigantic urban area. Driving from Phoenix into Scottsdale, or down into Tempe or Chandler, the only way to know that you're going from one city to the next are the massive "Welcome to _____" signs and the design of the traffic lights. You could drive nearly 60 miles from East to West across the valley, and not see a single gap in development, and then it just ends abruptly and turns into open desert. It doesn't fade out gradually like cities back east do.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 AM

48 posts, read 69,883 times
Just wanted to chime in a bit of my .02 here.

Myself and my fiance are from LI as well and have just completed our first week in Az.

Idk if it helps but here's my opinion on a long islanders frame of reference:
Scottsdale= woodbury/ syosset/ huntington without huntington station and downtown reminds me a lot of huntington village

Chandler/Gilbert = bellmore/merrick/wantagh/levittown with little pockets of uniondale

Tempe= farmingdale complete with college downtown area and add massapequa on to it

Honestly the mountains are beautiful the weather cant be beat and there is an amazing amount of stuff to do not to mention the people are super friendly . It doesn't matter much where you live bc its easy to get to anywhere. Keep in mind many areas of Tempe and Chandler are closer to downtown scottsdale then places actually in scottsdale.

Hope this helps

Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen829 View Post
Just wanted to chime in a bit of my .02 here.

Myself and my fiance are from LI as well and have just completed our first week in Az.

Idk if it helps but here's my opinion on a long islanders frame of reference:
Scottsdale= woodbury/ syosset/ huntington without huntington station and downtown reminds me a lot of huntington village

Chandler/Gilbert = bellmore/merrick/wantagh/levittown with little pockets of uniondale

Tempe= farmingdale complete with college downtown area and add massapequa on to it

Honestly the mountains are beautiful the weather cant be beat and there is an amazing amount of stuff to do not to mention the people are super friendly . It doesn't matter much where you live bc its easy to get to anywhere. Keep in mind many areas of Tempe and Chandler are closer to downtown scottsdale then places actually in scottsdale.

Hope this helps
Jen,

Great to hear positive news from a former LI resident! Out of the 3 comparisons you gave, Scottsdale sounds best for me. Can you tell me what area I of SD i should looking for homes on a 300k budged? 2-3 bedroom single family. Also, can you give me any info on Ahwatukee and compare that too if possible?

Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM

48 posts, read 69,883 times
Honestly I really can't tell u about buying... We decided to rent for a year to make sure Arizona is the right fit for us... And chose to do so in Chandler because the apartment complexes are the extreme of luxury .

As for ahwatukee ive only driven through but of I were to compare I would say its seaford but with mountains bordering one side (instead of the canals) and wyndanch is not touching but a bit close by.

Just keep in mind when you look anywhere out here ethnic diversity abounds so the comparison is more socio-economic then ethnic.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen829 View Post
Honestly I really can't tell u about buying... We decided to rent for a year to make sure Arizona is the right fit for us... And chose to do so in Chandler because the apartment complexes are the extreme of luxury .

As for ahwatukee ive only driven through but of I were to compare I would say its seaford but with mountains bordering one side (instead of the canals) and wyndanch is not touching but a bit close by.

Just keep in mind when you look anywhere out here ethnic diversity abounds so the comparison is more socio-economic then ethnic.
Being that you mentioned downtown Scottsdale similar to Huntington village, that is basically EXACTLY what I am looking for. You mentioned areas of Tempe close to that? Are the sections of Tempe suitable for what I'm looking for or would you stick to Scottsdale?

Old 01-24-2013, 01:08 PM

Also, can you give any advice on Biltmore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area