Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 12:32 PM

50 posts, read 133,622 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in Michigan and I want to relocate to phoenix area and I want to be near walkable to the lite rail.
Are there any places safe near the lite rail? Is it possible to live in scottsdale on public transportation?
I just need a studio in a safe area near public transportation. I seek a studio or 1 bedroom between 400-600. As I'm thinking of selling my car up here in Michigan. I think I would not need a car in arizona. I'm still debating on this one. I'm in the senior group And want to mingle with 62 and over.
(I m a white senior woman if that matters.)

I'm tired of being shut in from the snow and ice and due to my age and health the weight of boots hurts my knees. I fell on the ice yesterday thank goodness there was snow on top of the ice To soften the blow on my spine, painful. I'm still recovering from the fall. Guess you can fall anywhere. I'm truly tired of snow and ice for many reasons. It is beautiful and I have made all the snow angels I need to make. One concern I do have is Michigan has the better elderly care and I don't remember how arizona is with elderly as I was much younger when I lived in phoenix before. I know it has changed down there but how much? What do I need to know?

I want to live near hospitals so I can pick up a part time job as I am a medical worker.
I use to live in phoenix back in 1987 my ex and I moved to Michigan, we both are medical workers.
I cried to my husband at the time that I wanted to stay in arizona. But we took job offer in michigan since he is from michigan and I'm from Indy. After 27 years Of living in michigan and raising our wonderful Children.
I find myself alone and think it might be best to relocate back to arizona my long time wish. My kids are not dependant upon me anymore. And I just talk to them mostly over phone with occasional visits.

Any one who has information or advice I would be appreciated. I'm thinking Arizona or Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 10:15 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Hi: I couldn't find much info for you. Senior living type apts don't seem to do much advertising for some reasons. Also in the Phx area you will have a difficult time finding something near transit. Especially if your looking for senior living. Much of the light rail runs thru College student areas and the apts cater to them. I think you will find a car is a necessity here. Its really a shame with all the nice weather here. I understand your wanting to find areas where you can live and do without a vehicle. Its just hard to find for a senior I think in this area.

With that said I did find something not far from downtown, so it should offer a bus line or proximity to the light rail.

Senior Living at Henson Village
1045 8th Ave Phoenix, AZ 85007
623-224-2513

The listing says rents start at $599 for a 1 bed to $700 something for 2 bed. The rental listings says all utilities are included. Which is good considering what electricity can cost.

You can look it up on the internet. Quite a few pictures. Seems to be a newer modern bldg. Dishwasher and all appliances in the apt.

I hope this will help you somewhat. I'm new in Az myself and your age. I'm finding most everything here as far as seniors go. Is home buying in retirement communities. A huge segment of the retirees has been left out. The ones that prefer to rent an apt in a senior residence for a lower cost rent.

So I'm hoping this helps a little anyway. Your smart look into Fla also. That is another place where a car is a necessity. Although I think you might find more options there. In regards to senor apts near buses. Especially in St Pete. Good amount of bus lines and senior apts. You could also look in Tampa. They have a streetcar and I believe there are senior apts along the rail line there.

I wish you the best of luck and I think you will find something. Just keep your options open and use this website to ask all your questions. Or use your computer to look up senior apts in areas you are interested in.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times
Construction begins on senior housing in downtown Mesa - East Valley Tribune: Mesa
these senior apartments in downtown mesa will be opening soon-light rail in downtown mesa is scheduled to begin in 2015

Old 02-24-2013, 06:04 PM

If you are interested in these apartments you can probably take the LINK bus or the 40 bus from these apartments to the light rail at sycamore and main (its probably about a 10 minute ride)

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 02-24-2013 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
You may want to consider renting a manufactured home in an age-restricted park in Mesa. That way you'd have your own little house, rather than sharing walls with neighbors. There are some very nice age-restricted parks there, some which are even gated communities. Some of the parks offer amenities such as a pool, spa, and clubhouses with small libraries and planned activities, (i.e bingo nights, various card games, bunco, day trips, aquatics classes, etc.) It's a great way to make new friends in the area and you can be as active there as you wish. One particular park comes to mind that even has a pitch-and-putt golf course free to residents. (Even if you don't play, it would be lovely to sit outside under a tree somtimes, look at the lush green grass, and watch the quail running by.)

Mesa has several bus routes; perhaps you could line up a senior park with one of them. The bus route map is here. For going places other than work, you could investigate whether a shuttle bus services the park or check out Dial-A-Ride. Within the parks themselves, residents often get around via golf cart or scooter. There are hospitals right there in Mesa and also hospitals right next door, in Gilbert.

One of our supermarkets, Safeway, offers online grocery shopping and home delivery. I know they deliver to Mesa. Before signing on the dotted line of a rental agreement (outside of Mesa), you may want to double check that Safeway has delivery service to the area. It's a great convenience if you don't feel like lugging groceries via mass transit, (especially in the summer heat), in case of illness, or just as a once in a while thing for heavy goods (such as laundry detergent). They also make sure your ice cream doesn't arrive melted in the summer.

Good luck with your search.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 PM

Lofts at McKinley Apartment Rentals
Lofts at McKinley
809 N 5th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85003 Map
Independent senior community. 1 and 2 bedrooms.

this is in downtown phoenix-perhaps u might be interested in this

Old 03-03-2013, 04:45 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Forum member TRosa lives in Florida. She said she takes the bus everywhere. I think she said she lives in St Pete.

Best of Luck...

Old 03-14-2013, 05:47 PM

50 posts, read 133,622 times
Thank you everyone it's nice to get support. I'm looking now at 3000 N 36th Street Phoenix if anyone is familiar with this area would you please let me know?
Also keeping Florida in mind is a good idea too.
Does anyone know how I can find these retirement mobile homes?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:02 PM

181 posts, read 439,527 times
that's exactly what they are getting ready to build right next to me on the former golf course: Senior apartments on the light Rail (Northern Ave.) More expensive than that, but there are others.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezintoes View Post
Thank you everyone it's nice to get support. I'm looking now at 3000 N 36th Street Phoenix if anyone is familiar with this area would you please let me know?
Also keeping Florida in mind is a good idea too.
Does anyone know how I can find these retirement mobile homes?
Here is one website. If you look at the homes for rent there, listed by private parties, you will find some listings. If you also look there under "Find Mobile Home Parks With Rentals", you will find some more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area