Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 PM

654 posts, read 1,496,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfrontalex View Post
At 65 mph, with zero traffic, it would still take more than 45 minutes for this road to be traveled (36.9 miles). Oh and that's with no stoplights. Horrible way to live, IMO.
Lol

OMG how.terrible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 07:11 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
Someone from Atlanta will laugh at what Phoneticians call traffic or rush hour ...read my prior post with the congestion ratings. Perhaps you have lived too long and Phoenix and you will be shocked when you find out what traffic congestion in other cities is really like.
I agree. When we were looking for a place I almost scratched Anthem off the list after reading all the negativity about the traffic and the distance on here. Fortunately we were able to make a couple of visits first and I did some trial runs of the drive times back and forth even before I knew about back routes. I don't see what all the fuss is about. Sure if you live up here and have to drive downtown every day or to Tempe or south it might not be the best choice but for people like myself or the OP who are looking to only get to North Scottsdale its not a problem. Maybe its because we're used to the traffic in other cities, like they say, everything's relative.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:16 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Coming from Detroit, I'm used to an hour commute each way to go 15 miles or so and quickly crossed Anthem off of our list. It's a nice area but it is far too isolated from the rest of the valley for us. To some that's one of its benefits, for us it's an unnecessary inconvenience. Just realize that it is far removed from the rest of the metro area.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I agree. When we were looking for a place I almost scratched Anthem off the list after reading all the negativity about the traffic and the distance on here. Fortunately we were able to make a couple of visits first and I did some trial runs of the drive times back and forth even before I knew about back routes. I don't see what all the fuss is about. Sure if you live up here and have to drive downtown every day or to Tempe or south it might not be the best choice but for people like myself or the OP who are looking to only get to North Scottsdale its not a problem. Maybe its because we're used to the traffic in other cities, like they say, everything's relative.
The people who make the "fuss" don't live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Coming from Detroit, I'm used to an hour commute each way to go 15 miles or so and quickly crossed Anthem off of our list. It's a nice area but it is far too isolated from the rest of the valley for us. To some that's one of its benefits, for us it's an unnecessary inconvenience. Just realize that it is far removed from the rest of the metro area.
Far removed? North Phoenix is 85086 so is Anthem...it's across the street.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 AM

357 posts, read 711,928 times
All this debate is a little tiring. Some people do not want to live there as they find it remote (and YES, I consider Anthem remote personally), and some people do not find it remote and love it. Everyone has their different opinions and depending on the OP's mindset he might fall on either side of the fence.

45 minutes to the airport driving whatever route (I still maintain the I-17 through the I-10 downtown would be beyond a headache during rush hour), with a risk of an accident on the I-17 delaying me just isn't for me. I also prefer to have a movie theater within 10 miles and a list of other amenities Anthem doesn't have. Some of us are just pointing out that it's not for us. Also, although the drive to North Scottsdale may be relatively easy it is still close to 30 miles EACH way! I don't prefer to put that sort of mileage on my car, no matter how little that is compared to Atlanta or any other city with horrible traffic. I like to live very close to where I work if it's a nice neighborhood and North Scottsdale has so many nice neighborhoods it's worth the OP looking into.

Now if the OP really desires Anthem because he wants to be remote but still in a HOA neighborhood with a smaller community and is fine with the distances than maybe it is for him.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
Far removed? North Phoenix is 85086 so is Anthem...it's across the street.
Sorry, let me rephrase. We crossed off 85086, including Anthem, from our list as it is too isolated from the rest of the valley for us.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
All this debate is a little tiring. Some people do not want to live there as they find it remote (and YES, I consider Anthem remote personally), and some people do not find it remote and love it. Everyone has their different opinions and depending on the OP's mindset he might fall on either side of the fence.

45 minutes to the airport driving whatever route (I still maintain the I-17 through the I-10 downtown would be beyond a headache during rush hour), with a risk of an accident on the I-17 delaying me just isn't for me. I also prefer to have a movie theater within 10 miles and a list of other amenities Anthem doesn't have. Some of us are just pointing out that it's not for us. Also, although the drive to North Scottsdale may be relatively easy it is still close to 30 miles EACH way! I don't prefer to put that sort of mileage on my car, no matter how little that is compared to Atlanta or any other city with horrible traffic. I like to live very close to where I work if it's a nice neighborhood and North Scottsdale has so many nice neighborhoods it's worth the OP looking into.

Now if the OP really desires Anthem because he wants to be remote but still in a HOA neighborhood with a smaller community and is fine with the distances than maybe it is for him.
and like I said...you don't live there and I can guarantee you have never made that so called tiresome commute in your life.

I don't know why anyone would get off the I17 and take the 10 to get to the airport from Anthem?
check the map...you would drive a half a block north on the 10 from the 17 to get in the airport..the 10 is the exit ramp.

45 minutes to the airport in any major city is a joke . How many times in a month does an average resident need to get to the airport? I doubt the OP will be heading there daily either.

There is a movie theater on Happy Valley road ....a short drive from Anthem. Anthem has everything 95% of people need. If it's not there it's only 10 minutes south.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
I'm not looking for a debate either, but I get concerned with the misconceptions that are rampant. The west side of Anthem actually gets its services (water, sewer, trash to name a few) from the City of Phoenix, complete with the lighted street signs with the Phoenix logo on them. If you shop in the Walmart (right here in Anthem) you even get the pleasure of paying Phoenix sales tax. Movies? There's a Harkins Theater on Happy Valley Rd. 16 minutes from my house. I keep seeing posts saying its too far to everything, but that just isn't accurate, unless you really love indoor shopping malls and then the closest one is probably Arrowhead, but between the Outlets, the two supermarkets and three or four CVS and Walgreens and Walmart all right in Anthem, and then all the stores at Tramonto and Norterra there's nothing that far away.

Anthem is not some oasis out in the middle of the desert. If you prefer being closer to the city, that's cool. If you think driving 16 minutes to a movie theater (sorry liz451 I'm not trying to pick on you, its just not the first time I've seen that exact statement here) that's cool too, but on the other hand not everyone feels the need to be 5 minutes from everything. I don't mind having a 12 minute drive to Home Depot, or even a 40 minute drive to work, when it means I can come home to beautiful desert views (in my backyard), a great community park, good schools, a rec center, a water park, etc etc etc.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:47 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
While I certainly put some effort into the planning of my commute around here, I gotta say Phoenix drive times don't even come close to places where I've driven.

Anthem to Scottsdale is a non-issue.

I wouldn't want to do the Anthem to Sky Harbor commute DAILY, but once or twice per week wouldn't be a big deal either.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:58 AM

357 posts, read 711,928 times
Like I said, differing opinions. I've driven to Flag through Anthem countless times, and been to Anthem many times, so I am familiar with the drive.

I'm not an Anthem basher - as previously mentioned I have friends who love living there but it's not for everyone. I think the same about Gilbert, Scottsdale, downtown Phoenix, North Scottsdale, Chandler, Tempe and EVERY other neighborhood. Depending on your lifestyle desires it could be a great place but Anthem residents seem to think its criticisms are unwarranted, they're not, I didn't decide to wake up and say negative things about Anthem, there are positives and negatives to every place. And others, such as DetroitN8V also choose not to live there just like you choose not to live where I do. I prefer to be close to sporting events, festivals, independently owned restaurants, ethnic restaurants, etc.

If you prefer to be out in the desert, smaller community, and other factors johnp292 mentioned then Anthem is for you. Nothing wrong with different priorities. And perhaps in a few years my priorities will change and I'll want to live in Anthem. The OP asked about taxes, crime, etc. but never mentioned what he's really looking for in terms of lifestyle so all our arguing might be moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area