Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 11:08 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,409 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I have both lived in the Valley for a while, but are in discussions about getting married and starting a family and one of the things that we've become more interested in is finding a church that suits our needs.

I was raised Roman Catholic and she was raised Missouri Synod Lutheran and we aren't really interested in returning to either.

What we're looking for in a nutshell is the following:

1.) Progressive world viewpoint (not fire and brimstone) that is accepting of both traditional and non-traditional families.

2.) Engaging music (not all contemporary but not all classic hymns either)

3.) Engaging pastor. We'd like a pastor whose preaching makes you think.

4.) Not a mega-church. Therefore CCV and the Community Church of Joy are excluded from the list.

5.) A community of people similar in age (late 20s / early 30s).

6.) We would prefer a church that doesn't require us to "convert".

Are there any churches in the Northwest Valley that fit this combination?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 03:07 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
I've never been to a Unitarian Universalist Church that didn't meet your list of desires. There are several in the area.

In Glendale:
West Valley Unitarian Universalist Church » 5904 W. Cholla St. ? Glendale, AZ 85304 ? 623.846.6004

In Paradise Valley:
UUCP Home | Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Phoenix

In Surprise:
Unitarian Universalist Church of Surprise, Arizona

While I don't attend these particular UU churches, I've attended several in other cities. You definitely would not be required to "convert." The thing that attracted me to the UU ministry was the fact that they have no dogma other than respecting the inherent worth and dignity of individuals and expecting members to be invested in creating peace, justice, and understanding in the community. Many people adopt the UU faith for the very reasons you're seeking a church — to move away from the strict doctrines of the ones you were raised in.

You will meet people of all ages and backgrounds (including traditional and non-traditional families as well as singles), although most I've met there have been educated somewhat above average. They're big on supporting each other in times of need and doing service in the community, things that are traditional about many churches. I've participated in UU services that included interesting poetry, contemporary musical performances, even people speaking on how their faith relates to current events or historic occasions. There aren't usually strict formats for the services; the church members take an active interest in creating programs that appeal to their interests. It's more like an exploration of possibilities rather than, "Here's what you should believe." So some UU churches have a different vibe than others since they are so democratic. But I guarantee you will be welcome to explore there.

I found this list of American presidents and other interesting members of our country who were Unitarians to be instructive. 100 Questions : UU Church of Nashua
Good luck in your search.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,471,533 times
Are you looking for a Christian church that still holds to Biblical beliefs? If you are trying to go progressive and as far away from traditional Christian values as you can then I would start looking at Methodist churches, Unitarian churches, or if you are trying to meet in the middle of Catholicism and Lutherans you might look for an Episcopal church.

Phoenix is a big place, so a church with the age group you are looking for may be out there. But unfortunately most people don't start thinking about coming back to church until their 30's. Most churches demographic profile tends to skew 30's/40's and up. Personally I have found the healthiest churches to be ones that have all ages in them.

Since moving back to town I have attended Open Door Fellowship on 19th Ave, just south of Dunlap on occasion. They would hit points 2, 3 and 4 for you. They are not "fire & brimstone" but do preach from the Bible. Plus you can show up in jeans if you want, they don't care how you dress.

Not much of a mega-church person either. I've been closely involved in a couple and could see what went on behind the curtain. From my vantage point it would take a lot to drag me back to any of the local mega-churches.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:40 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,409 times
Thanks for the responses. We are looking for a church that is still Biblically based, so I think that the Unitarian type of setting may be too progressive for either of us. We will try Open Door Fellowship and maybe look into some Methodist or Episcopal church.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,278 times
You could look at an ELCA church. More "liberal" than the RC's and Missouri Synod, yet still kind of the same. Like you, I was raised RC and my wife MS. She takes our kids to Peace, 91st/Union Hills.

Peace Lutheran
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area