Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:50 AM

86 posts, read 237,325 times

Advertisements

Thank you Jukesgrrl i have a strong feeling we are making the right move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 10:15 AM

163 posts, read 207,463 times
I'm originally from CT and have lived in "upstate" NY - Putnam and Dutchess counties for the past 19 years. Just moved to the area the end of May. Small sample size I know but I love it and don't regret the move at all. I was looking for a change. If you're looking for the east coast out here you will not find it. If you're looking for a change - with a much lower cost of living - then you'll like it here!

Old 07-23-2014, 10:33 AM

572 posts, read 1,686,617 times
Let me ask the question of my fellow NYers (partner and I are planning on moving out there sometime before the winter this year) - were you able to land jobs before you went out there? Or run into issues with employers not giving you the time of day because of your out of town address? We've been applying left and right for jobs in our field (both of us work in healthcare) but can't seem to get any bites...heading out there next month to scout out neighborhoods, etc..

Old 07-23-2014, 10:43 AM

639 posts, read 974,303 times
Definitely may be an issue with an out-of-state address. Everyone says they are planning on moving out here - look at the forums here for prime examples of this - and things happen to delay their moves. Or they never happen. Most employers don't want to hire someone who's not here already (yes there are exceptions, but this is typically the rule). Maybe get a PO Box in the area to use as a local address? And possibly a google voice number with a local exchange that forwards to your current cell phone. You may get more response that way.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:44 AM

717 posts, read 1,060,896 times
Also keep in mind that anyone who has been in any area of the country less than 5 years is still within the "honeymoon" range. I've often seen people make posts on CD raving about their new city after a move, and then a few years later you see them griping about every single aspect of it.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
Definitely may be an issue with an out-of-state address. Everyone says they are planning on moving out here - look at the forums here for prime examples of this - and things happen to delay their moves. Or they never happen. Most employers don't want to hire someone who's not here already (yes there are exceptions, but this is typically the rule). Maybe get a PO Box in the area to use as a local address? And possibly a google voice number with a local exchange that forwards to your current cell phone. You may get more response that way.
Was actually thinking about doing that, or seeing if any of the UPS store locations would allow me to rent over the phone.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:58 AM

192 posts, read 404,293 times
I have a relative who moved out from NY (Orange County) in 2003 and he is quite happy with it. I think as a single guy he does much better out there than he could have ever managed here. As for getting a job, he got a local phone number to use and was able to borrow a legit local address from a friend so it looked like he was already there. Then when he got a call for an interview he was able to make a reasonable excuse to push it out 2-3 days and get out there in time but then he had flexibility you might not.

Using a UPS store might work although employers may google the address and realize that it ties to such a store, if you know anyone who would let you use their address knowing that no one would probably ever go to it or even mail to it, that would probably be better.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:29 AM

great advice, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HV_Mom View Post
I have a relative who moved out from NY (Orange County) in 2003 and he is quite happy with it. I think as a single guy he does much better out there than he could have ever managed here. As for getting a job, he got a local phone number to use and was able to borrow a legit local address from a friend so it looked like he was already there. Then when he got a call for an interview he was able to make a reasonable excuse to push it out 2-3 days and get out there in time but then he had flexibility you might not.

Using a UPS store might work although employers may google the address and realize that it ties to such a store, if you know anyone who would let you use their address knowing that no one would probably ever go to it or even mail to it, that would probably be better.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:21 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,740,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Not sure if I'd classify it as just "a few tech firms" and one is out of luck with a good paying job. For example, there are a good deal of well paying health care jobs in the Phoenix metro. Count all the hospitals, private offices, various clinics, and the presence of businesses like the Mayo Clinic in the valley.
Good point. I hadn't considered the hospitals.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:01 PM

86 posts, read 237,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbiz View Post
I'm originally from CT and have lived in "upstate" NY - Putnam and Dutchess counties for the past 19 years. Just moved to the area the end of May. Small sample size I know but I love it and don't regret the move at all. I was looking for a change. If you're looking for the east coast out here you will not find it. If you're looking for a change - with a much lower cost of living - then you'll like it here!
Exactly what I am looking for my friend.Been out to Arizona 4 times in the past 4 years and the only things I might possibly miss is the food and convience of having everything and anything you need in such close proximity to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area