Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Everybody is different but I'm guessing if she is having issues with the gloomy weather up there AND they have a good opportunity to make more money, it's a no brainer to me. Cheaper costs of living here means even MORE money in their pocket.
Who knows if they will like it here. I love it here, you as well but some don't. I think the deciding factor is financial. If the money is that much better, it would benefit the family in the long term.
The 15 year old will adapt and more than likely, prosper. I know how life is in the PNW. For a good part of the year, you stay inside. Here, he will get out much more often and probably do more extra curricular activities that he couldn't do in Seattle.
That's my take on things.

Most people stay in their homes an average of 5 years or so. We are a very mobile society so saying that people in Arizona only stay 3 or 4 years is actually pretty typical of anywhere in the U.S.

I agree. He shouldn't be the deciding factor. If the OP is that afraid, if that's really what's going on here, then she just needs to make a decision one way or the other and live with it but she needs to be informed about the good and the bad so she can make an intelligent, educated choice.
Just because a 15 year old is getting squirly about a change that he doesn't agree with is no reason to kill an opportunity for the entire family. It's actually pretty selfish if you ask me.
All stated very well except the cheaper cost of living.

The Phoenix area really isn't all that inexpensive when you consider how much energy most of us use in the summertime to keep cool, and how much it can cost in water expense if you have a pool, grass, or shadetrees.

Add to that the cost of maintaining a vehicle.

Phoenix is a heavy car-reliant city, and if you commute a long way to and from work the cost of gas alone can be a burden.

In addition batteries, tires, and hoses break down faster in the heat than in cooler climates so there are more hefty expenses if you keep the same vehicle for any length of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 01:57 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

The Phoenix area really isn't all that inexpensive when you consider how much energy most of us use in the summertime to keep cool, and how much it can cost in water expense if you have a pool, grass, or shadetrees.

Phoenix is a heavy car-reliant city, and if you commute a long way to and from work the cost of gas alone can be a burden.

In addition batteries, tires, and hoses break down faster in the heat than in cooler climates so there are more hefty expenses if you keep the same vehicle for any length of time.
Don't forget the income tax, I pay about 1200 a year in state income tax (after my refund), but I do pay about 800 less in property tax for a house of nearly the same price. So AZ nets me -400 or so a year on that account. Totally agree on energy, Im not like you hardy tough natives, I like my home around 75 degrees year round. Im willing to pay more to feel comfortable. One more added expense, if you own a home as I do here in the desert, you should be using an exterminator every 6 months or so. Some use one every month on preventative measures. I lived in my home in the PNW and never hired one the entire time I lived there. Gas overall should be a much cheaper expense, as the traffic in the Valley here seems non existant compared to Seattle. Very little stop and go means better gas mileage, and besides, gas itself is cheaper. I have a quite a few car repairs here in the desert that related to heat worn out parts, batteries, tires ect.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:12 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,647,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

The cost of housing in and around Seattle is ridiculous. Food is expensive, particularly fruit and veggies. Very expensive compared to here.
Energy costs? It seems that people here complain about the high cost of cooling for 3 to 4 months or so but don't take into consideration of how much it costs to heat a home in colder areas. Electricity is electricity. Heating, cooling, it all takes energy and lots of it. In my case, I'd be running the heat for 10+ months a year in Oregon to keep my daughter comfortable. Here in Az. I only cool the house for about 4 months and most of that is done with a VERY efficient evap cooler. The rest of the year, I haven't had to heat or cool the house at all. My energy cost when compared on a yearly basis were way more in the PNW.
Seattle proper has a fairly good public transportation system but if you live anywhere except downtown, then Seattle is just as car reliant as Phoenix. Rain, mud, snow. It takes it's own kind of toll on vehicles but I'll certainly agree that it may be a bit more to maintain a vehicle here because of the A/C, windshield wipers, tires, belts and batteries. I have 2 cars, 2 motorcycles and I've owned several boats since I've been here. I've never had so many batteries go belly up in my life. The heat does kill them pretty quick.
Maintaining a yard in the PNW SUCKS huge. It's the opposite of here. In Arizona, you have to work a bit to make things grow. In the PNW, growing stuff isn't the problem. Everything grows like crazy there. I had 6 acres. Mostly natural grass and if I didn't mow every 5 days during the summer, I was in trouble. Grass grows 6 inches a week during the summer. Maintaining that yard was a misery. That's almost all I did for the last 2 years. Mowing, trimming back all the blackberry bushes constantly, trimming the trees, etc.
My Az. yard is much easier to manage. No grass, just rock and cactus. I might add a fruit tree or two but that's it. I was tired of being a slave to the yard.
Anyway, I have found it to be far less expensive overall in Az. vs. the PNW. Food is cheaper, gas is significantly cheaper, overall utility costs are cheaper, property taxes are cheaper, heck, even the fishing licenses are cheaper. The only things I've seen that are more expensive is cheese, tires, windshield wipers and batteries. Milk is cheaper but cheese is ridiculous. Too weird. Batteries prices are crazy here. lol.
Gee, I sure am long winded lately. My apologies to all.
To get back on topic, I hope the OP is doing well and has considered all options. Either way, both cities are vibrant, forward looking and very beautiful cities to live in.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
The cost of housing in and around Seattle is ridiculous. Food is expensive, particularly fruit and veggies. Very expensive compared to here.
Energy costs? It seems that people here complain about the high cost of cooling for 3 to 4 months or so but don't take into consideration of how much it costs to heat a home in colder areas. Electricity is electricity. Heating, cooling, it all takes energy and lots of it. In my case, I'd be running the heat for 10+ months a year in Oregon to keep my daughter comfortable. Here in Az. I only cool the house for about 4 months and most of that is done with a VERY efficient evap cooler. The rest of the year, I haven't had to heat or cool the house at all. My energy cost when compared on a yearly basis were way more in the PNW.
Seattle proper has a fairly good public transportation system but if you live anywhere except downtown, then Seattle is just as car reliant as Phoenix. Rain, mud, snow. It takes it's own kind of toll on vehicles but I'll certainly agree that it may be a bit more to maintain a vehicle here because of the A/C, windshield wipers, tires, belts and batteries. I have 2 cars, 2 motorcycles and I've owned several boats since I've been here. I've never had so many batteries go belly up in my life. The heat does kill them pretty quick.
Maintaining a yard in the PNW SUCKS huge. It's the opposite of here. In Arizona, you have to work a bit to make things grow. In the PNW, growing stuff isn't the problem. Everything grows like crazy there. I had 6 acres. Mostly natural grass and if I didn't mow every 5 days during the summer, I was in trouble. Grass grows 6 inches a week during the summer. Maintaining that yard was a misery. That's almost all I did for the last 2 years. Mowing, trimming back all the blackberry bushes constantly, trimming the trees, etc.
My Az. yard is much easier to manage. No grass, just rock and cactus. I might add a fruit tree or two but that's it. I was tired of being a slave to the yard.
Anyway, I have found it to be far less expensive overall in Az. vs. the PNW. Food is cheaper, gas is significantly cheaper, overall utility costs are cheaper, property taxes are cheaper, heck, even the fishing licenses are cheaper. The only things I've seen that are more expensive is cheese, tires, windshield wipers and batteries. Milk is cheaper but cheese is ridiculous. Too weird. Batteries prices are crazy here. lol.
To get back on topic, I hope the OP is doing well and has considered all options. Either way, both cities are vibrant, forward looking and very beautiful cities to live in.
I go through a lot of batteries too. They just don't last in boats etc very long. I don't know why you say they cost so much here compared to elsewhere, though. I just checked a group 27 deep cycle at avondale and in renton, wa sams clubs and they are the same price. In Oregon, there would be no tax though.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:08 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
Quote:
Just to clarify..........
I'm assuming you didn't look at the link. When I said "average" temp, that is the average "high temperature" for that date for the last 30 years. Also right next to the average daily high is the record high. It's all right there. Check it out.
The average high temps and the average low temps are listed for each day as well as the record highs and lows, the monthly averages as well as rain and snow averages.
Obviously you didn't read the part in my post where I said "I noticed in the chart" which would indicate that I did in fact read the chart. My point being you are attempting to downplay actual high temps by citing averages.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I go through a lot of batteries too. They just don't last in boats etc very long. I don't know why you say they cost so much here compared to elsewhere, though. I just checked a group 27 deep cycle at avondale and in renton, wa sams clubs and they are the same price. In Oregon, there would be no tax though.
You are probably right. In this area I didn't to my research before opening my yap. lol. I used to have a small auto parts store in my little town and I could buy a very nice deep cycle RV battery for $59.00. A decent one here is about $85.00. I can't say that's an apples to apples comparison either.
I guess I should have said "I have never bought so many batteries in my life", which is more of a true statement. I bet I've bought 15 different batteries for my boats, motorcycles and cars in the two years I've been here. It was a rarity that I had to buy a battery for anything I owned in Oregon. Batteries most definitely lasted much longer than they do in the heat. The vehicles don't but the batteries certainly do. HA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Obviously you didn't read the part in my post where I said "I noticed in the chart" which would indicate that I did in fact read the chart. My point being you are attempting to downplay actual high temps by citing averages.
I'm sorry but I don't understand. Everybody acknowledges that it gets much hotter than the "averages" but it's not really fair to people that are looking to perhaps make a move to Arizona to suggest that it is almost always much hotter than the average high temps are in reality. It also gets much cooler than the averages (hence the "average"). You don't usually hear much about when it's much cooler than the average. However, the average high temps for the past 30 years is a good indicator of how the weather will be in the future. I apologize to you sir. I just don't understand your point.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:47 AM

I thought this news story was very interesting and will give some of us some understanding of living in the PNW.
A school in Washington State has closed school for the day because of GOOD WEATHER which doesn't happen often.
Is there a good reason the OP is tired of the PNW weather?

School canceled for good weather at Bellingham Christian School

Old 05-03-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Don't forget the income tax, I pay about 1200 a year in state income tax (after my refund), but I do pay about 800 less in property tax for a house of nearly the same price. So AZ nets me -400 or so a year on that account. Totally agree on energy, Im not like you hardy tough natives, I like my home around 75 degrees year round. Im willing to pay more to feel comfortable. One more added expense, if you own a home as I do here in the desert, you should be using an exterminator every 6 months or so. Some use one every month on preventative measures. I lived in my home in the PNW and never hired one the entire time I lived there. Gas overall should be a much cheaper expense, as the traffic in the Valley here seems non existant compared to Seattle. Very little stop and go means better gas mileage, and besides, gas itself is cheaper. I have a quite a few car repairs here in the desert that related to heat worn out parts, batteries, tires ect.
I pay less income tax in Arizona than I did in Michigan where I'm from. Depends a lot on the tax rates of the states or if there is even an income tax at all, some states do not impose a tax on earned income.

I haven't used an exterminator in a long time, not needed.

For some reason people here have this fear of every creepy-crawly creature known to man, snakes, lizards, scorpions, and insects. I never had a problem with any pest except ants, and I saw maybe one or two cockroaches, that's it.

For me car repairs take up a huge part of the budget, batteries, hoses, and tires have to be replaced much more often in Phoenix than in Michigan.

But in Michigan I spent a lot more time weatherproofing my car than here, it was more work but less expense.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:16 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,025,059 times
The drizzly grey weather in the Pacific Northwest is soul crushing. We spent way less time outdoors than we do in the Okanagan area of BC with snow in the winter and far more bright skies.

The simple question I would ask as a mother of teenagers is does my teenager have the disposition and interests to make new friends or not. If yes, move and they'll be more resilient for it. If not, stay (assuming there is still work in WA). I do agree with not leaving the decision to teenagers, parenting is making the best family decisions and supporting the kids to adjust n

Old 05-03-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I don't know much about the cost of living in Seattle but I just know I'm spending much more in electricity, water, and car repairs here than I did in Michigan.

How do you get by with an evaporative cooler all summer? They only work in the dry months of May and June but by July when the summer monsoon begins they don't work so well.

I agree that harsh weather takes its toll on cars, the frigid cold was always a factor where I'm from, we constantly had to shovel snow, scrape ice, and install snow tires in the wintertime. Maintaining a car was more physical time-consuming work but less expensive than here.

Water bills and maintaining a yard is hardly anything if you have just rock and cactus but some of us like a backyard pool, shadetrees and grass, they make the summertime heat easier to deal with but they can be costly too.

If I had a choice between Phoenix, Seattle, or Michigan I would choose Phoenix but I just disagree with people who say it's cheap living here, for me it's not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area