Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 AM

25 posts, read 32,437 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Phoenix area. Looking for a great neighborhood for a young family. Husband will work south of airport. Looking for something between 350k and 450k. Any suggestions? Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 09:54 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,340 times
Ahwatukee and AW Foothills is the same area. Either area you're looking in us fine and you will have absolutely no problem finding a home in your budget. What I will say about Ahwatukee though is try not to go to far west because it's start to become far from everything. It is named the "World's Largest Cul-de-sac" for a very good reason. I would personally pick Chandler because it has everything you need and isn't far from the airport. There's a nice mall, lots to do, good restaurants and eateries, great schools, and very family friendly all around. Gilbert is the same as Chandler just farther out from Sky Harbor Airport. Like I said you can't go wrong with either area all 3 have great schools and are family friendly and considered middle class/upper middle class areas. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 AM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
I agree that any of the three is fine. I've lived in all three, plus Tempe.

With respect to Ahwatukee, there is not much housing stock less than 10 years old, and the newer houses tend to be in the far west areas. Eastern parts of Ahwatukee are a really convienent location, close to shopping, I-10, airport, etc. I think harder to find bigger lots in Ahwatukee in your price range than the other cities. South Mountain is right there, which has miles and miles of hiking trails.

Chandler and Gilbert both have new and newer construction, if that's something you want to look into. Older and/or farther out areas can offer bigger and more private lots. NW parts of Chandler get same comment about being a very convienent location. You'll get a bit more for your housing dollar in Gilbert, but then of course it'll be a longer drive to work for your husband.

hikernut

Old 07-04-2013, 07:00 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Ahwatukee and AW Foothills is the same area. Either area you're looking in us fine and you will have absolutely no problem finding a home in your budget. What I will say about Ahwatukee though is try not to go to far west because it's start to become far from everything. It is named the "World's Largest Cul-de-sac" for a very good reason.
Technically you're correct, except Ahwatukee Foothills is the newer part of Ahwatukee (in the far west reaches, as Hikernut stated). Most of Ahwatukee is still nice, but has become an older, established area ... which is considered part of the city of Phoenix, even though it seems like it's own separate city for many reasons. The only bad thing about Ahwatukee is the congested traffic during rush hour, and the "cul de sac" feeling of the area.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 PM

62 posts, read 171,984 times
Default Ahwatukee

I would choose Ahwatukee. The views are spectacular and you have so many recreational opportunities.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Does the fact that Ahwatukee is in the City of Phoenix add to the tax costs of owning property there? Or are those factors pretty much equal in the areas the OP mentioned? I know sometimes suburbs can have higher costs than cities, too, but I'm not aware of the differences in the places mentioned. Sometimes in Arizona one also has to consider water bills and fire district assessments in the total expenses of home owning and they could be different from one block to the next.

For a young family with airport-area employment and the means to buy a home in the OP's price range, I'd choose Chandler for the combination of housing stock, schools, and the proximity to major highways. Plus, Chandler has every imaginable suburban amenity and quick access to all those other areas if they come up with anything extra that you'd want (such as a special educational program).

Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova16 View Post
We are relocating to the Phoenix area. Looking for a great neighborhood for a young family. Husband will work south of airport. Looking for something between 350k and 450k. Any suggestions? Thank you so much.
Any of these areas, Chandler, Ahwatukee, Gilbert, will work for you. They all have great neighborhoods, shopping, dining, good schools, etc.

There are two issues to deal with. One is price, and the other is commute. Home prices are higher in Ahwatukee, followed by Chandler, then by Gilbert. Commute time is greater from parts of Gilbert, and the southern and western parts of Chandler, while Ahwatukee would be closer. I would estimate, during commute hours, a 25 minute commute from most parts of Gilbert to south of the airport.

You need to be aware of the housing shortage in the Phoenix area. When a home in that price range comes on the market that is priced at the market, it will sell fairly quickly, and many times with multiple offers. If it's priced high, it's because the seller knows the market prices are increasing, and is usually not willing to lower the price for a long time.

One of my buyers had been looking for a home between $400-$550 since November. We were outbid in multiple offer situations on three homes. Finally, we saw one come on the market just 15 minutes after the agent had listed it on the MLS. We made an offer at full price immediately and got that house.

The point is, that you need to have your financing already arranged and be prepared to make an offer on a home as quickly as it comes on the market, and assuming you have a good Realtor who knows the market well, listen to his/her advice on how to structure the offer.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,063 times
Buy quickly, the housing shortage is going to get worse and prices will go up.Your choice made be made for you by what homes are available but all the cities you mentioned are great places to live.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:23 PM

28 posts, read 84,853 times
2 responses have mentioned "newer homes" when i don't think the OP made mention of wanting a "new home".

For the OP, let me go out on a limb and suggest Scottsdale. My wife and I moved there a couple months ago and so far we love it. We bought a house(built 1983) with a diving pool for well under your budgeted amount. Yes it is very much in need of updating but we plan on being here for many years so we're ok with that. However, there are many homes for sale in your price range that have been updated/remodeled and the drive in to the Sky Harbor area is about 25 min if you leave anytime before 7:15ish.

We lived in Ahwatukee for 9 months in a rented condo at 48th and Elliot so we know that area pretty well and we are so glad we didn't end up buying a home in Ahwatukee. We started looking there but eventually expanded our search as we became more aquatinted with the Valley of the Sun. Maybe you should try renting for six months.....

Anyways, I just wanted to mention Scottsdale in case there isn't a specific reason you mentioned Chandler, Gilbert and Ahwatukee.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:37 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin out of reno View Post
I would choose Ahwatukee. The views are spectacular and you have so many recreational opportunities.
I would also choose Ahwatukee. I currently live in Chandler and it's a great area, as is Gilbert. But in my opinion Ahwatukee has a character that other areas do not. It's partly down to architecture and partly down to the scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area