Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:23 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I primarily go to Saguaro Lake and Canyon Lake. They are virtually in my back yard. Saguaro is 18 minutes from my driveway and the boat ramp at Canyon Lake is 28 minutes and if you don't think I timed it when I moved here, you're nuts. lol.
I prefer Canyon Lake actually. Saguaro Lake is so close to town that it tends to get more crowded, particularly on the weekends but either lake is beautiful although the nod goes to Canyon Lake for visual satisfaction. Canyon Lake is also larger and is known for larger fish than Saguaro but Saguaro is known for more abundant fish. Both lakes produce nice bass fishing.
Apache Lake is also close but the road is so rustic that it takes 90 minutes or more to get there even though it's only 30+ miles away. The road is primitive but the views are fantastic.
If you like lakes, then the east valley is probably where you might like if you have a choice. There is an abundance of lakes around here. Saguaro, Canyon, Apache, Roosevelt, San Carlos, Bartlett and probably a few others I can't think of.
The humidity? 90% would certainly be a rarity. I'm no expert but I don't recall the humidity every getting over 60% and that was during a monsoon storm. I'm sure someone will chime in with more information on on that.
If you would like some more information on the lakes around here, don't hesitate to send me a PM. I'm on the lakes usually at least once or twice a week.

Just a FYI. A yearly Tonto pass is available for something like $90.00 or so. I buy the yearly pass and I'm good to go. It's available at the Forest service. I got mine at the Mesa office next to Falcon Field Airport.

I didn't know you had a place on the rim. That sounds very cool in more ways than one.
You sound like an adventurous guy. I recently completed the Apache Trail to Roosevelt. Although I didn't stay there, the set up at the Apache Lake Motel is pretty cool. Most people feel Canyon offers the best views but Apache to me is the best with the seclusion due to only being accessible via dirt road. Saguaro is my least favorite due to the fact that you need a boat to see the mountains. The beach at Saguaro is trashy in more ways than one. As a kayaker, Canyon is awesome.

Last edited by magnum0417; 07-03-2013 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 11:37 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times
i grew up in the midwest. these 120 F temperatures dont even compare to midwestern summers. quit whining. 85 F with 90% humidity now that is unbearable. now im sure someone from Texas or Louisianna is going to tell me to stop whining.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:39 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
Great post. As someone who visited many areas of the state in 2010, I see myself thinking again about moving out there for good in the next few years. Thought I'd like being back in my home state but I fell in love with the southwest and also the west coast when I was out there for a few years. Looking forward to it again one day and enjoying the great outdoors AZ has to offer.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:40 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
And yes cinsonic, Houston was 106 last Saturday w definitely lots of humidity ! Lol. Not always like that but it's been brutal here too so far.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
i grew up in the midwest. these 120 F temperatures dont even compare to midwestern summers. quit whining. 85 F with 90% humidity now that is unbearable. now im sure someone from Texas or Louisianna is going to tell me to stop whining.
In the 80's I spent weeks at a time in Port St Lucie,FL when my grandparents were still alive each summer. I'll never forget how suffocating those summer days were. They were even worse after the daily 4PM storms. The steam rising afterwards just made it worse. This was when I was in the best shape of my life as a competitive swimmer so that is saying something. The 119 last saturday effected me less believe it or not. The whole dealing with 110 plus is mind over matter. If you mentally feel defeated hearing tomorrows forecast, then you will be unmotivated to leave your AC on your day off from work.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:31 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,819 times
Quote:
Hahahah, you got that right. I'm not from Louisiana but have family there. Visited them a few years ago in New Orleans and it was in the mid 90's with the humidity in the same range. I couldn't walk a block without breathing hard and feeling like all my strength was sapped out of me. It was like coming out of a steam shower. I'm from Boston and we got the same there but only for a couple of weeks and atleast when it rained the temp went down 20 degrees. So yeah....STOP YOUR WHINING!!!!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:47 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,494 times
Quote:
It's all about personal preferences.. I don't understand why people can't grasp that. Just because it's unbearable to you does not mean it is for others.

Me? I'd take that 85 with 90% humidity over the 112 and 25% humidity we had today. It just feels BETTER to me. But, that's me and no one else. Blanket statements don't work when it comes down to a matter of personal preference. I'd take 20 degrees and gray over either of those.. That's just me.

To the OP: I'm glad you're still enjoying it here. I envy you. I wish I was able to look at living here with the same enthusiasm that the newcomers always have. Phoenix has never felt new or exciting to me. But, I'm a native. I still enjoy getting outdoors and exploring the canyons, but it just doesn't give me that spark that I think it would if I had just moved here for the first time.

Treasure that feeling. It might stick around, It might not.. Ya never know! Just enjoy it.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:50 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Maverick974 - wonderful post!! Wow, made me feel good to be a long timer here in our beautiful unique state.
Looks like you've caught up on your vitamin D stores, the sun does wonders. People should get out more and enjoy the state as you've done. Makes for a happy Zonie.

I visit many other states and countries but within a week I'm always itching to get back home. Just something going on here that nobody else has. I realize different strokes, some hate that unique AZ feeling, but some such as I love it. I won't ever leave.

P.S. Funny, yesterday some young girl road her horse to "Bashas" market and tied it up outside while she went shopping. She came out in a bathing suit top and shorts, climbed on her horse and road home.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:55 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Factoring in the COL and being the nature nut I am, I hope to remain a Zonie for many more years and eventually retire within the state. With that said, I've found the Phoenix area to be a place to make a living but eventually hope to settle down somewhere in the 3-5000 feet range in elevation. To me, that is the best climate in this state. Places like Kingman and Verde Valley have a touch of 4 seasons without the extremes of Phoenix heat or Flagstaff cold. Unfortunately the best climates have lackluster employment prospects in relation to the payscale of Phoenix. Short term, I'm about to purchase an acre near the Grand Canyon South Rim as my avenue to enjoy the outdoors in a different climate. Not looking to profit or even improve it but to have views of the SF Peaks at 6000 ft elevation is a nice change of pace.
Oh yes, get some land. We have some land up near Flag,we just go up and pop out a tent. Something about owning a little slice of AZ that's nice. Let's you dream of building a cabin.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:46 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,296 times
Thing is, its going to continue to set these heat records. Its going to start taking more and more of that precious 5 months. To me summer here started in Apr...even middle of March, and its not going to let up until late October. Then, ironically, it gets kinda cold here, especially for a bunch of folk who just lived thru 7 months of 85 to 119 degrees temps. I don't remember those comfortable perfect weather days here until late January, but that me I guess. Then again, Im a guy who loves 9 months of rain and drizzle so what do I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area