Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:23 PM

89 posts, read 326,775 times

Advertisements

I can tell you for a fact that real estate is cheaper psf on the west side then the east side. That's my business. Take the same sqft home, same age, and same features and you'll find it cheaper on the west then the east side. If you want examples I can post them. I'm talking Maricopa County only...not Pinal @ QC...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxray View Post
Oh please, I lived in the heart of Arrowhead, 59th and 101 ( aka the nicest part of the West Valley) and my car insurance was $250 more than what I'm paying now that I've moved back to Ahwautukee.

Get an insurance quote and see how much higher it is on the west side due to it's crime and number of auto theft.
Excellent point. I've read that before in other forums...

Old 11-20-2007, 01:25 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Let's clarify a few things. People in the west valley regularly travel to the east valley for business, dining, shopping, or clubbing/bar hopping. But people in the east valley never travel to the west valley unless it's for the occasional sporting event or concert. And that didn't occur until 2 years ago, prior to that I know several people in the east valley that had never even been to the west valley despite living in the valley for years. I mean I don't know anyone in Scottsdale traveling to Suprise to shop.

Glendale may have the most millionaires but it doesn't have the most money. They have a lot of snowbird retirees. Most middle class people who save wisely and retire are worth 1-2 million so technically Glendale has the largest number of millionaires. But a guy who owns 1-2 million is a far cry from a multimillionaire in other parts of the valley that is worth 10-20 million; Glendale doesn't have a lot of these millionaires. This is why Glendale still lacks many of the upscale stores and restaurants that Scottsdale, Chandler, Ahwautukee and Gilbert have.

The bottomline is the west valley is improving but it's still in its infancy when compared to the growth and development of the east valley so you can't really compare the two; the west side has a long way to go. People aren't moving to the west valley because it's nicer than the east valley. They are moving there because it's more afdable than it's relative east valley counterparts. That's a perfectly legitimate reason but lets not start comparing Suprise to Gilbert; there is no comparison, Gilbert is far more developed than Suprise to say the least. It's funny how people on the west get defensive and competitive with people on the east side. You guys should enjoy what you have and be excited about your development.
I haven't been east of Central in 5 years. I used to live in Ahwatukee. Where I live now is nicer.
Median income is higher, views are better, air quality is way better, recreation is better, the community is better planned with better amenities than anything in Ahwatukee. And it is "newer" out here. The only beef I have is that in the west valley you do have to rub elbows with people of lower socio-economic classes more than the east valley. W. Valley is being developed around pockets of historical poverty. Those people remain so you run into them in the stores. Shopping at Costco in Avondale versus Chandler will demonstrate what I mean.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:30 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Oh please, I lived in the heart of Arrowhead, 59th and 101 ( aka the nicest part of the West Valley) and my car insurance was $250 higher per year than what I currently pay living in the east valley.

Get an insurance quote and see how much higher it is on the west side due to it's increased crime and auto theft. Polls don't mean anything; they are biased. Insurance companies deal directly with the ramifications of crime (auto theft) and so if they are charging higher premiums to live in Glendale versus Chandler/Ahwautukee, that actually means something.

Go to Allstate, Statefarm, Progressive or Geico and see for yourself 85308 vs 85226
Yes, more auto theft as there are more nice cars in that area. The crime follows those with money. Look at Scottsdale with it's high property crime, HELLO, that's where the nice things are! I lived in the NE/Scottsdale most of my life and had ALL of my cars broken into and stolen!

Old 11-20-2007, 01:32 PM

124 posts, read 409,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I have to disagree. Yes, people do move to the west valley because they feel it's nicer and no some of them are not just moving there because it's cheaper. This valley is huge that no one can look at all areas to see where they want to move to. Virtually every weekend I drive around and find a whole other area that I never knew existed.

Some people are just particular to one side of town as that's all they know. Like I am extremely particular to the north valley (east or west) and never even thought about moving anywhere else.

The northwest valley is growing ever so large and beautiful. But, that's ok, it will be our little secret I guess.
I'm not speaking on behalf of every individual. Sure, there are some people who prefer the west valley. However, look at the facts. The cost of living and price of homes is a lot more expensive than the west valley in general. Pricing has to do with demand. The higher demand, the higher the price. Look at where the upscale shopping and dining is located. Those companies establish their locations based on where their consumers are located. There is a reason why there isn't a Neiman Marcus or Nodstrom on the west side. The point is the demand to live in the east valley is higher than that of the west valley. That may change in the future, but that's not the case now.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:35 PM

235 posts, read 922,841 times
just to jump in the east vs. west fight...........It seems that newer subdivisions in the lower end of the market get kind of rough much more quickly in the west valley than the east. I've never seen gang graffiti and trash in new subdivisions in Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, QC etc. I see it all the time in SW Phoenix, Avondale, Tolleson etc.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:39 PM

124 posts, read 409,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Yes, more auto theft as there are more nice cars in that area. The crime follows those with money. Look at Scottsdale with it's high property crime, HELLO, that's where the nice things are! I lived in the NE/Scottsdale most of my life and had ALL of my cars broken into and stolen!
Actually, the majority of cars that are stolen are not luxury cars. The Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry were the most stolen cars in the country for years. Thieves steal cars whose parts can be stripped and resold. Recently, the Caddilac Escalade topped the Accord but if you look at the top 5 most stolen cars, they are common everyday vehicles. There are just more cars stolen in the west valley because its proximal to crime ridden areas. Arrowhead is very close to the ghetto areas of Glendale.

Also, if your assertion were true about the west valley having nicer cars then why are all the upscale dealerships located in the east valley. Dealerships located to where their customers reside. The west side doesn't even have a BMW or Mercedes Benz dealership which even Chandler has.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I'm not speaking on behalf of every individual. Sure, there are some people who prefer the west valley. However, look at the facts. The cost of living and price of homes is a lot more expensive than the west valley in general. Pricing has to do with demand. The higher demand, the higher the price. Look at where the upscale shopping and dining is located. Those companies establish their locations based on where their consumers are located. There is a reason why there isn't a Neiman Marcus or Nodstrom on the west side. The point is the demand to live in the east valley is higher than that of the west valley. That may change in the future, but that's not the case now.
It sounds like you are talking about everyone. Instead, say "some people" move to such and such because of this, instead of just saying people move there. That makes it sound like it's not all that you are talking about.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Actually, the majority of cars that are stolen are not luxury cars. The Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry were the most stolen cars in the country for years. Thieves steal cars whose parts can be stripped and resold. Recently, the Caddilac Escalade topped the Accord but if you look at the top 5 most stolen cars, they are common everyday vehicles. There are just more cars stolen in the west valley because its proximal to crime ridden areas. Arrowhead is very close to the ghetto areas of Glendale.

Also, if you assertion were true about the west valley having nicer cars then why are all the upscale dealerships in the east valley. The west side doesn't even a BMW or Mercedes Benz dealership which even Chandler has.
There are still a lot of cars that are not on the most stolen list that get stolen. Just because it's not on the list doesn't mean it doesn't get stolen.

Many parts of the west valley are still growing. More money is moving in and one day these fancy dealerships will follow.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I haven't been east of Central in 5 years. I used to live in Ahwatukee. Where I live now is nicer.
Median income is higher, views are better, air quality is way better, recreation is better, the community is better planned with better amenities than anything in Ahwatukee. And it is "newer" out here. The only beef I have is that in the west valley you do have to rub elbows with people of lower socio-economic classes more than the east valley. W. Valley is being developed around pockets of historical poverty. Those people remain so you run into them in the stores. Shopping at Costco in Avondale versus Chandler will demonstrate what I mean.
I couldn't agree with you any more. I do alot of car show in the valley, promote a few too. East side shows are always more well run and less crazy. West side shows always have people with just no respect for others. Numerous complaints from participants about loud music and families with kids that don't have a clue on how to respect others prized cars. Most west side shows require outside security unlike east side shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area