Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 12:57 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,740,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Case in point: I received a similar warning for a "false alarm" from the PPD earlier this year, but I protested it because somebody (likely a would be intruder) actually came to my front door and banged on it so hard that it set off the alarm. The person left and never actually "broke in" (obviously because he heard the alarm). It was late at night and I was asleep ... and yes, I keep my alarm activated when I go to bed at night. So you tell me: what purpose would some jackass have for coming around late at night banging on somebody's door?! Likely, to commit a CRIME such as burglary! I credit my screeching alarm for scaring him away ... not the police who came out after the fact & slapped me with a warning a week later!
Why did the police come? The way the monitoring is supposed to work (at least the way ours works) is that if the alarm goes off the monitoring company calls your house. If you don't answer or if the person that answers can't provide the password, THEN the police are called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 09:37 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
I could have filled that quota on my way home today.
I'm sure they don't have a problem meeting it. It wouldn't help them any to fill it with the innocent. I think they'd start to notice officer Jim bringing in several housewives a week. lol

Old 10-26-2013, 11:29 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Why did the police come? The way the monitoring is supposed to work (at least the way ours works) is that if the alarm goes off the monitoring company calls your house. If you don't answer or if the person that answers can't provide the password, THEN the police are called.
That's exactly the way mine operates ... and I believe most alarm systems are set up that way. I was asleep when all this was happening, and when I woke up & heard the voice on the speaker from the dispatch center, I said that somebody was pounding on my door, and to send out the police. Well, the police came a while later (long after the person was gone), they looked around, and said there was nobody in sight & no evidence of anybody actually breaking in, so they left. A week later, I received a nice little warning letter from the PPD about that call being a "false alarm". When I protested it, they said it was because nobody actually broke in, and they saw no evidence of an attempt to break & enter. Nevertheless, a crime was still in process, so the police were very negligent as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:31 AM

308 posts, read 790,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I could have filled that quota on my way home today.
I'm sure they don't have a problem meeting it. It wouldn't help them any to fill it with the innocent. I think they'd start to notice officer Jim bringing in several housewives a week. lol
How true, Poppy. I get the feeling some people think the "quotas" mean an officer needs to make 10 stops a day. Most departments that have standards are down around 1 or two stops per duty day, and leave it to the officer to decide if it will be a warning or a citation. I dare someone to tell me they don't see at least one serious traffic violation on their daily commute. Then remember the officer is on the road all day long.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:13 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAinAZ View Post
How true, Poppy. I get the feeling some people think the "quotas" mean an officer needs to make 10 stops a day. Most departments that have standards are down around 1 or two stops per duty day, and leave it to the officer to decide if it will be a warning or a citation. I dare someone to tell me they don't see at least one serious traffic violation on their daily commute. Then remember the officer is on the road all day long.
at least in Phoenix, the officer is on *calls* all day long.. Phoenix pd officers don't hang out in the qwick-y marts or donut shops all day/night long like cops in other cities do.. Phoenix also has those village-people-looking biker dudes that can really only write tickets.. As a taxpayer & resident here, I'd rather have the cops answering calls than setting up speed traps.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:05 AM

557 posts, read 736,469 times
I don't know how they are going to do it. Phx PD is currently short 600 officers. Except for special units most patrol officers go from call to call with little time to be proactive.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:13 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Recently I've noticed several LEO Tahoes on the embankment along the 101 northbound in Scottsdale between Indian Bend and FLW. I've never noticed any proactive traffic enforcement in that area until this. I believe they are MCSO trucks because I think Scottsdale only has Expeditions. Not sure if this is related to "quotas" or that it's just the time that that section gets patrolled, but watch out!

Old 10-28-2013, 02:20 PM

289 posts, read 750,348 times
Quota's I'd like to see:

Officer must drive a maximum 30 miles per day in their area while patrolling.
Officer must walk 3-4 miles per day in their area....walk different places different days.
1 hour per day maximum running radar.
2 hours per week at a school talking with students.

I could go on and on.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 AM

557 posts, read 736,469 times
Madmmc if you had 6000 officers maybe you could do all that , with their manpower now , no way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: