Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:11 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,607,287 times

Advertisements

Many Sun city residents share yards. Their property isn't blocked from their neighbor....but it is blocked from the outside. So, yes they appear to have a Walled community. Not snobbery but it is definitely inclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 12:50 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Sun City is walled ONLY around the perimiter where the high traffic roads are such as Grand Ave, Bell Rd, and 99th Ave and Olive Ave. This is to protect those homes located near them from road noise. The rest of the city is open.
Sun City is separated from Sun City West by the Agua Fria river.
Sun City Grand is located within the City of Surprise.
Thunderbird and Union Hills do not go all the way through uninterupted. Union Hills stops at the Agua Fria river and Thunderbird Stops at 111th Ave. Both streets pick up after detours to other streets that cross the Agua Fria River.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:51 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
And what's up with the walls that are built around Sun City? Is it more of a protective measure because a lot of the people there are older? It isn't like a sign of snobbery or anything like that, is it?
Btw, I'm a man. About the walls-- I've always wondered that too. SCW is also walled all around-- and it's a HUGE wall, at least 8 ft high, maybe even higher. It blocks what would be great desert mountain views. There's probably a couple reasons I can think of: 1. SCW is literally on the edge of the desert. It might have something to do with keeping out coyotes, desert critters etc. Although, then again, maybe not, since I've heard from my g-ma they got coyotes ALL the time prowling around at night. It might also prevent people from walking out and getting stranded in the desert. 2. Safety/utility issues. Just outside the walls there are huge concrete drainage ditches serving as flood control, power lines, and just outside of SCW, there's the 303 highway, which will become a full blown freeway some day. It probably does keep out noise.

Snobbery, though? I doubt it. Pretty much everywhere in the Phoenix metro area has walls of some sort-- from the poorest to the richest parts of town. One thing that's unique about SCW is that many of the subdivisions within it have completely open backyards with no walls or fences at all around each individual property.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:29 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Sun City West is also walled in only around it's outer perimeter to keep out the road noise.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:50 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
That's interesting to know. Thank you for the info. Well, we actually have always lived in town since we've left our childhood homes. But since you've lived in Iowa, you know that the towns up here are quite small compared to Phx. The population of the town we live in has jumped to 17,000 now. And mountains~we live in southeastern So. Dak. so it's pretty flat here, but we love the Black Hills area so mountains would be nice.

It's so good to hear that people are friendly and talk to their neighbors down there. It would just be more familiar to us since it's always been that way up here.

We had originally been looking at another warm state because we have family there, but have decided against it. Just too many negatives from weather to crime. It looks like the Surprise area with Sun City, Peoria, etc. doesn't have a huge crime problem that was in that area and that's an added plus. Another plus is that DH doesn't mind heat, but he really doesn't like humidity. I love hot~humid or not. Still another plus is something I've noticed in news stories and reading here. It's just the basic concern for fellow humans. Just as an example, it appears that your area takes care of their homeless instead of running them off or burning their tents. Of course, we're fortunately not homeless, but IMHO it's important to live in an area where people are compassionate toward others.

Actually, we're hoping to take a late winter or early spring vacation to the area just to see how we like it there. Since our temp this morning is only 12 with a windchill of 3, I'd be ready to fly down there right now.

Brrr it's cold here in Philly and my joints are so stiff I can barely walk. It sure is pretty here though

Old 11-23-2007, 07:12 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Sheena, you're in PHilly for Thanksgiving? Oh yea, yesterday was nice in that area, but today the cold front moved over there. We didn't travel for the weekend. Our Thanksgiving was one BLOCK away. MB is supposed to get chilly and rainy now, too.

Vegas, sorry I mixed up your gender. It was an honest mistake.

I'm just glad to hear that everyone seems to be in agreement that the walls may be more for protection whether it be from noise, drainage ditches, wildlife, or whatever. I'd hate to want to check out an area that put up walls to keep others out. But seriously, I've seen news stories where cars came barreling through houses so the walls may be a good thing for several reasons especially if some of the main highways are near there. You know how those older folks are, they need their quiet. I know that I would be one of the young 'uns there and that would be fine, too.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:57 PM

29 posts, read 122,344 times
Hi, new to the forum thing and I have no idea if I'm doing this right. I would like to know if anybody has relocated from the Denver Metro area to Surprise and what are the pros and cons vs. Denver. Thinking of moving there--hate the winter here in Denver, know the summers will be brutal, but rather have heat. What about scorpions?Would it be crazy to move out there without jobs--is job market good? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area