Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:47 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,608,054 times

Advertisements

Surprise ranked the Safest city in Arizona. Gilbert came in 2nd in AZ and 36th overall.

Surprise is safest city in Arizona **Link**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Surprise ranked the Safest city in Arizona. Gilbert came in 2nd in AZ and 26th overall.

You really can't lump the whole city in though. Some parts of Gilbert are no picnic.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 AM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,452,764 times
Yay! They finally included us in the survey. We were safest last year, too, but they said we didn't have 30,000 people (huh?) to be included.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:26 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Surprise ranked the Safest city in Arizona. Gilbert came in 2nd in AZ and 36th overall.

That's fantastic!!! That's sort of around the area we're planning on visiting when we eventually get down that way. And well, Sedona of course. But that'd just be sightseeing because it's even highly recommended way up here. Of course, Sedona is WAY out of our range for living expenses. So we'd mainly be hanging around the Sun City/Surprise areas.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:27 PM

89 posts, read 326,808 times
I'd live in Gilbert ANY day over Surprise. Surprise borders El Mirage, number 1 pithole city on the west side. Gilbert schools rank number one in the state too.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:30 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,442,495 times
What about Flagstaff? Is that a nice area?

Old 11-20-2007, 12:34 PM

124 posts, read 409,797 times
These polls say nothing. I mean there is a reason why some places have more crime. There are far more wealthy people in Phoenix, Scottsdale and Chandler/Ahwautukee than other cities in the valley. Where do you think car thieves want to go? Most of the crime in the valley is related to car theft. There is not a lot of assault and armed robbery relative to other cities this size.

Gilbert is an exception because of it's Mormon influence. They don't have a lot of alcohol related crime incidents nor do they have many bars. In addition, they have strict neighborhood watch programs.

I hope people don't make decisions based on these polls. You should drive around and check out a neighborhood. There are nice and bad pockets in any city.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:44 PM

Someone of you have not been to Surprise. It is a very nice city and very has low crime. Many well to do people live in the area. To suggest it is low class is laughable. Take a drive out that way and see for your self. Not everyone needs to live in Scottsdale, home of the 30K per year wanna be millionaires (at least that is what I hear)

The fact is that many EX So Cal residents now live in Surprise...and they do have money...smart money at that...

Quote:
Surprise borders El Mirage, number 1 pithole city on the west side.
Make up your mind people. Is the worse area Maryvale or El mirage? El Mirage is not that bad...Safe enough to drive through.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350 View Post
I'd live in Gilbert ANY day over Surprise. Surprise borders El Mirage, number 1 pithole city on the west side. Gilbert schools rank number one in the state too.
I have visited Surprise for the past 4 and a half years and not once have I entered El Mirage. I love the Surprise area. Who cares if El Mirage is next to it. That kind of thinking is very ignorant. Bet you have never been to Beverly Hills and saw the cities that surround it. That is a beautiful place as well, but you actually need to drive through some bad areas to get to Beverly Hills. If you were to look at a map you could see that this little bleep of space that is called El Mirage is small compared to Surprise. The fact is Surprise only touches it at one point. As far as I can tell El Mirage also shares a border with Peoria and Glendale and no one ever talks bad about those two places, or maybe I haven't noticed it. Great things are happening in the city of Surprise. I like the path that the area is taking. Yes you may have to commute for now, and yes this small sliver of the city shares a border with El Mirage. That hasn't stopped it from taking care of business. Safest city in the area. Seems as if the job of protecting there people is taking place.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:04 PM

Exactly! Sunset Blvd in LA is the absolute definition of what you are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area