Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:31 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by variant View Post
I'm pretty open across the board, listening wise... but tend to be more on the edgy/darker/more-modern end of the spectrum.
I admit I'm not a huge expert on this subject, but it seems that the "modern" alternative music today is more melodic and not as edgy as it was back in the early 1990s. That's just what I have noticed looking at the charts lately: alternative music lately is quite a bit different than the alternative music of the '80s & '90s when it was more or less in its heyday.

Also, Phoenix used to have at least two alternative radio stations, but now there are none. It seems also that alternative has lost some ground in the last few years (possibly due to the change in musical content), and that has contributed to why it's more difficult to find radio stations (and venues for that matter) that feature this type of music. Those are my thoughts, but feel free to respond and correct me if needed.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:57 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,746,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Also, Phoenix used to have at least two alternative radio stations, but now there are none.
Actually there is one, KWSS at 93.9. It is a listener supported low power station so there are places in the Valley where you can't get a listenable signal. In addition to regular programming that is "alternative" they also have a couple of DJs from Phoenix's underground/alternative past. On Sunday nights Johnny D hosts Mostly Vinyl from 5-8 and Monday nights 8-10 he does Totally Jazzed. Monday-Wednesday 10-midnight features Lopsided World of Jonathan L. Johnny D's shows are probably best enjoyed by older folk, but Jonathan L features cutting edge, largely European, interesting stuff.

http://kwss.org/

Old 12-08-2013, 12:57 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Please keep this thread on topic (Phoenix related). Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-08-2013, 07:55 AM

7 posts, read 6,216 times
Default Music repsonse

There are some fantastic musical events at the Musical Instrument Museum. Put a search in online, and you'll see it. It's a great place. This is not the type of place for weekly get togethers like at a coffee house, etc, but they have lots of great artists. It's almost right at the boarder of Scottsdale. I live in northern Glendale, and it's about 25-30 from my place.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:10 PM

432 posts, read 492,009 times
My buddy and myself went down to a show at the Yucca Taproom the last weekend. My thoughts: Kind of a hole, weak sound system (from the musician perspective), but a decent place otherwise. The layout was nice, fairly roomy, with the two separate bars in separate rooms arrangement, it lets you get away from the bands when you want.

The crowd was seriously disappointing, though. Maybe it was just the particular bands on the roster's draw, but it was really sausagey in there, and really heavy on the hipster contingent. As single guys who aren't of the beards & PBRs & girlpants line of thinking, it wasn't all that confidence inspiring.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:00 PM

[don't call it bumping if you are updating/adding additional info.]

Anyone know the deal with Casey Moore's. My buddy recommended we hang there on Saturday, said it was a pretty good spot. I ended up not going. It got too late to hit him up, so I thought of flying solo (as I usually do) down there, but when investigating the parking sitch, I noticed every other review of the place bemoaned the pretentious hipster levels in the place.

You know, this is really starting to turn me off on the music scene here. I lived in Portland for 5+ years after all, and while that particular scene certainly exists there (it's legendary for it), it's hardly ubiquitous. Where do they even come from? My brother lives up in Denver, and the place is positively overrun. I may still fly by, but to hone down the original post, I'm looking for some more rock oriented venues, that are not hipster havens. This shouldn't be so difficult.

Last edited by observer53; 12-16-2013 at 06:22 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 06:31 AM

628 posts, read 1,437,924 times
The Underground/Nile Theater, Yucca Tap Room, Tempe Tavern, Last Exit Live, Rhythm Room, Trunk Space. Also, Roosevelt Row and midtown Phoenix is where real hipsters are at in the valley. The ones who see Tempe as too commercial and yuppie.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:11 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
The Underground/Nile Theater, Yucca Tap Room, Tempe Tavern, Last Exit Live, Rhythm Room, Trunk Space. Also, Roosevelt Row and midtown Phoenix is where real hipsters are at in the valley. The ones who see Tempe as too commercial and yuppie.
And to think that Tempe used to be the happening spot for the alternative music scene in the 1990s and part of the early 2000s. Tempe based bands like Gin Blossoms, Pistoleros, and the Refreshments were hitting it big across the nation. Then alternative music as we knew it changed ... the sound now is quite a bit different than it was 10 to 20 years ago.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
So avoid these then? I'm trying to stay out of hipsters' tepid, backwards facing scene... and mesh with modern rock/alt/post/prog/metal. Something more cutting edge and disruptive.

By way of that, the Nile USED to be pretty goth/industrial/rivethead/metal (sometimes, depending on the show). Some of it was underground, some of it was depressed kids dancing to Bauhaus. Depended on the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
And to think that Tempe used to be the happening spot for the alternative music scene in the 1990s and part of the early 2000s. Tempe based bands like Gin Blossoms, Pistoleros, and the Refreshments were hitting it big across the nation. Then alternative music as we knew it changed ... the sound now is quite a bit different than it was 10 to 20 years ago.
TBH, I could care less what the adult contemporary scene was doing back in '93. What the Gin Blossoms were to the '90s, is what Air Supply was to the '80s... I'm talking about more looking edgy stuff boiling up right now... 2013.

Last edited by observer53; 12-17-2013 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag. Please leave the quote tags intact. :)

Old 12-17-2013, 08:10 AM

628 posts, read 1,437,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by variant View Post
So avoid these then? I'm trying to stay out of hipsters' tepid, backwards facing scene... and mesh with modern rock/alt/post/prog/metal. Something more cutting edge and disruptive.
Yeah, like I'm supposed to know that since your initial post says nothing about avoiding hipsters. To be honest, I don't think you'll find a huge scene for that kind of music here. The coasts are obviously better. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area