Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 12:36 AM

58 posts, read 129,769 times

Advertisements

APS won't show info unless I can log in, which I can't, as I still live in CA.

What is the deal with charging more during the day?

When we stayed in Phoenix for a few months in 2004 I remember my SIL sweeping the kitchen during the day with no lights on, and saying she can only do laundry at night.

I'm a homeschooling SAHM so we use about the max power possible all day every day!

We'll be renting in Anthem, and the best I can think of is to make sure we get a house with gas stove/oven/dryer/heat because I cook 4+ hours a day, do upwards of 6 loads of laundry a day, and I'm a baby when it comes to cold weather.

We're also getting a house under 1800 sq ft, as that has to help somewhat.

How do people who aren't out at work/school all day manage to live with the APS system without paying through the nose?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 AM

310 posts, read 1,159,938 times
You can get the basic plan which charges a flat rate per kilowatt hour. The time of use plan has higher rates from 12p-7p.....its not that you cant do laundry during those hours, you can it just will cost more. However, if you have a front loader washer...the amount of electricity it uses is very little.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightgirl151 View Post
You can get the basic plan which charges a flat rate per kilowatt hour. The time of use plan has higher rates from 12p-7p.....its not that you cant do laundry during those hours, you can it just will cost more. However, if you have a front loader washer...the amount of electricity it uses is very little.
Thanks for the quick reply! I am very happy to use the basic plan - I thought everyone was put on the time of use plan automatically!
Thrifty as I may be, suffering for cheap utilities is not for me.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:45 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoAZ View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I am very happy to use the basic plan - I thought everyone was put on the time of use plan automatically!
Thrifty as I may be, suffering for cheap utilities is not for me.
The time of use plan matters most in the summer months, when A/C is the biggest power user. Of course you can opt for the basic plan.

I doubt that gas service is available in Anthem, so the gas appliance option would be out, anyway.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:28 AM

92 posts, read 183,434 times
We live in Anthem, and our water heater, washer, and oven are gas.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:33 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
At least some of Anthem has gas, as we have it. I don't know if it's available everywhere.

To the OP, we are on the time of day plan and my wife is a SAHM. We are in a 2800 sq ft 2 story house with 2 HVAC zones. From 12 to 7 we:

Don't run the upstairs ac
Don't run the pool pumps
Don't run the dishwasher
Don't do laundry although we do have an HE washer and a gas dryer

We do run the downstairs ac during the day in the summer. Our largest bill two summers in a row was for August and it was around 450. I think our house is poorly insulated so that could likely be improved upon. If we average out the year our electric bill is actually less than what we paid in PA, where we had a heat pump and used electricity year round.

I've done comparisons a couple of times and by far the time of use plan works out better for us than the flat rate plan would. I imagine in an 1800 sq ft house you won't have multiple zones but we basically run one zone or the other. The only time both run is early am and in the evenings from 7 to 9 or 10 if it's hot.

We do our laundry mostly on the weekends (no time restrictions on weekends and major holidays). I run the pool filter and cleaner in the morning for about 6 hours and in the summer I run the filter in the evenings for a few more.

When we moved here I talked to APS about the plans when we set up service, and the rep told me the key was to avoid running multiple 220v appliances during the day, and if ac was needed to only run one, which is what we do.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:34 AM

92 posts, read 183,434 times
Our pool heater is gas, also, as well as the house heating.
When we were house searching, we saw plenty of homes that had gas, as well as electric.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:33 AM

Thanks, all.
Do most 2 story houses in Anthem have 2 ac units?
Is it possible to change your rate plan from time of use in late fall/winter to flat rate in summer? Or are you locked into a plan for a year or longer when you establish service?

Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Thanks for the clarification about the gas service! So, for the OP, it depends on exactly where you are renting in Anthem.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:02 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoAZ View Post
Thanks, all.
Do most 2 story houses in Anthem have 2 ac units?
Is it possible to change your rate plan from time of use in late fall/winter to flat rate in summer? Or are you locked into a plan for a year or longer when you establish service?
I don't think they all do, I remember seeing some that didn't when we were looking, but don't recall if they were in Anthem or not.

I think you can change the plan at any time. Talk to APS first, I found them pretty helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area