Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:30 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,537 times

Advertisements

I've bought and sold a fair amount of furniture on craigslist. I think it helps for it to be a well-regarded brand, in great condition, priced at about 25% of new. If it isn't in great condition and it had upholstery, I wouldn't even consider it. I also would eliminate ads that weren't clear or close to what I was willing to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times
Pretty good advice on how to list items on CL. A couch just might be one of those tougher household items to sell. I was on the buying end, but I found a couch someone was selling for $75. It was almost a brand new ikea couch that would go for $400 at the store.

Seller also had a tough time selling it before I came along. I was curious why nobody else bought it, as I know I got a steal.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:52 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
Pretty good advice on how to list items on CL. A couch just might be one of those tougher household items to sell. I was on the buying end, but I found a couch someone was selling for $75. It was almost a brand new ikea couch that would go for $400 at the store.

Seller also had a tough time selling it before I came along. I was curious why nobody else bought it, as I know I got a steal.
+1, couches are one of the harder things to sell - lots of people want them, but don't have a truck, or don't have help loading/unloading.. seems like every large item that I post gets questions about if I can drop it off..

Old 04-16-2014, 02:23 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Most people overestimate the value of their own stuff which is why you will see the same item relisted for like a month before it takes a 50 or 60% plunge in price. Your unwanted stuff is generally never as valuable as you might think it is.

I am always reminded of the scene in Trading Places with Dan Akroyd as Louis and Bo Diddley as the pawn shop owner with Louis trying to pawn off his Rolex watch."

"It retails for $6,995 retail, it tells the time simultaneously in London, Paris and Stadt...."

"In Philadelphia its worth $50"

Regardless of how much you bought it for, how much you think its worth, the true value is determined by how much the second hand market is willing to bear."

Old 05-14-2014, 11:26 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,839 times
I've reverted back to a fixed price and haven't gotten any emails. What are some keywords or buzzwords I should use in my ad?

Old 05-15-2014, 07:14 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I've reverted back to a fixed price and haven't gotten any emails. What are some keywords or buzzwords I should use in my ad?
IDK. Googling how to sell a couch fast yielded this link:

SUBURBAN Spunk*: How to sell furniture on Craigslist safely, quickly and effectively

Old 05-15-2014, 08:11 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
Use the word "vintage" and put it on Etsy instead. I can't believe the prices some people are asking on that site.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:48 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Offer to deliver. Gets those couches sold MUCH more quickly. You can ask for an extra $25 for the delivery.

Happs: Lower the price. Get better and more photos. That, and possibly delivery, is all you can do.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:18 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
If it's in decent condition, you'll sell it.....but the price has to be right. I remember I sold a water fountain for a cheap price and had a flurry of phone calls, emails, and texts in a short period of time.

You're also listing in a big metro area section and there are tons of similiar items for sale.

My other strategy is to "repost" your listing to get your listing to the top. Sometimes I'll delete the listing and relist is right away to get the listing to rise to the top and to fall on a day I think is when lots of people are looking like a Saturday or Sunday morning. Usually when I repost, I will get a new inquiry or 2 more often than not. Want to sell it real quick? Undercut the competition by a decent margin and I bet you'll get more responses.

CL is a great place to sell in the Phoenix metro....I've gotten rid of a lot of clutter in the house as a result of using it.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:06 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,839 times
I have had my couch listed off an on on Craigslist for almost a year now, renewing the ad every 48 hours, sometimes taking it off for a week or two, then renewing it for a month (refreshing every two days) with no responses. I put in true buzz-words, have tried a fixed priced, have tried OBO and have tried FIRM, no responses. I can't provide delivery, otherwise I would offer that too. There's no way it's the price because it's competitive with other ads and the style is neutral. Are few people looking at furniture on Craigslist in Phoenix?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area