Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:20 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I can guarantee the next rate case which is 2016 they will try very hard to add a connect fee to grid tie which will be much higher then $5 I think $100 per month. They feel that revenue based on usage is not working [...]
This is a big stumbling block for me. I'm not going to make a large investment, only to be at the mercy of the utility regulators. The only type of solar investment I'll make is one that's not connected to the grid. It may not make much economic sense now... but maybe someday.

hikernut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 01:09 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,180,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I just wrapped up my first on-site estimate from a local company. Unfortunately their salesman wasn't very good and I don't even know if I can trust his information but he gave me two quotes with panels/inverters that I've never heard of, though I have no experience with this so that doesn't mean much.

The first was a 10.6kW system using 40 Sun Edison panels and a Fronius inverter. The price was $43,000 (before credits) and he said it included an electrical panel change which will be necessary according to him. We have a 200 AMP panel and he said we'll need a 400 AMP panel, does that sound correct?

The second was a 10.5kW system using 42 Canadian Solar panels and also a Fornius inverter. Price was $33,000 (before credits) and also included the upgraded panel change. Obviously much better price, but he didn't know the model numbers of the panels or inverters.

Any input on those?
That's a big system. Do you really need that many KWs? Also, is your south/west facing roof big enough? - That was my biggest problem. I find the price relatively high for a roof-mounted system, given you can get the parts probably for less than 20k online.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:05 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,947,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Update from me on the different between Solar city and APS solar generation numbers. I emailed APS last week and got a call back today. Talk about surprising.

She stated that the different in credited solar (799 kWh) and what the solar city said it is producing (1000 kWh) is that the 201 kWh missing are because that is the total electricity we used during the month while the solar was producing during the day. APS only gets what is sent back to them that wasn't used at the time of solar generated power. So that's good news on my end.
That's interesting, so the system directly feeds power to the house while it's producing, simultaneously?

Old 05-05-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
This is a big stumbling block for me. I'm not going to make a large investment, only to be at the mercy of the utility regulators. The only type of solar investment I'll make is one that's not connected to the grid. It may not make much economic sense now... but maybe someday.

hikernut
Well, you could always take it off the grid in the future I suppose if it really came to that.

Either way, it would probably still be much cheaper than whatever the rate will be for regular customers.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
That's a big system. Do you really need that many KWs? Also, is your south/west facing roof big enough? - That was my biggest problem. I find the price relatively high for a roof-mounted system, given you can get the parts probably for less than 20k online.
We used around 21,000 kWh per year so we need about a 12 kW system if we want 100% coverage.

This is one mockup of the layout we can have which would be a 12.4kW system using 38 327W panels.
Due to the neighbor's stupid two story house south of us, we can't use the majority of the south facing roof.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:28 PM

550 posts, read 1,127,449 times
Quote:
That's interesting, so the system directly feeds power to the house while it's producing, simultaneously?
Yes it does and that's why it is soooo confusing. You don't know anymore how much electricity you are using (total). You only know what you are using from APS. And now that APS changed the solar meters it's even more impossible to make sense of things. Frankly I think it's done on purpose. They don't want you to understand.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:21 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,338,553 times
Quote:
Yes...see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Yes it does and that's why it is soooo confusing. You don't know anymore how much electricity you are using (total). You only know what you are using from APS. And now that APS changed the solar meters it's even more impossible to make sense of things. Frankly I think it's done on purpose. They don't want you to understand.
Yea, which is why I had to call. And yup, you really can't tell what you're using total with this setup. Kind of annoying.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:25 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post

hikernut

Once you've installed you're basically grandfathered for a period of 20 years. APS can change that policy in the future, but it would still only apply to new adopters. For my system, as long as I own the home, any new fee's won't apply. Now if I move and sell my home, whoever happens to buy it would be subject to whatever the current fee's and regulations happen to be.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:50 AM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Once you've installed you're basically grandfathered for a period of 20 years. APS can change that policy in the future, but it would still only apply to new adopters. For my system, as long as I own the home, any new fee's won't apply. Now if I move and sell my home, whoever happens to buy it would be subject to whatever the current fee's and regulations happen to be.
Sure, I got your point. You are fine. Anyone who is looking at buying/leasing today... who knows? At any rate, one cannot expect to build a sustainable industry on tax credits and rules that can change from year to year. PV is good enough today, in my opinion, that smart people can figure out ways to put it to good use. Get the govt. out of the loop and let the markets work.

FWIW, I did find something online that's close to what I described earlier. It's a 1-1/3 ton system running on 48V DC. The website says it can be powered by 1kW of panels.

hikernut

Old 05-07-2014, 09:00 AM

So I received the proposals from the different companies. The system sized are all over the place because some companies quoted to cover 100% of usage, others 85%-90% and others just enough to cover on-peak usage.

Off the bat the Company 6 proposal using the Canadian Solar seems great and pretty shocking price wise. I understand Canadian Solar is a decent panel too.

Seems like I should disregard the Hanwha, LG and Hyundai panels as for the price I can get equal or better. Any other thoughts or input? Thanks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area