Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:47 PM

13,787 posts, read 8,026,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Again, I agree that in many cases the root problem is a family environment not being conducive to learning, while also acknowledging that some schools are lousy.
Yes, some schools/teachers are lousy but this isn't anything new and doesn't explain the massive poor test scores/drop out rate in some areas of the country.

It's the family environment which needs to be seriously addressed. Unfortunately, it's often a taboo subject matter but something I had hoped the Obama administration would have addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
... But what about the parents that do not value education beyond elementary school?
Good question with no easy answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 08:54 PM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Yes, some schools/teachers are lousy but this isn't anything new and doesn't explain the massive poor test scores/drop out rate in some areas of the country.

It's the family environment which needs to be seriously addressed. Unfortunately, it's often a taboo subject matter but something I had hoped the Obama administration would have addressed....
Yes, I agree completely. I don't even know how you would address it. But I'm open to suggestions!

Old 05-10-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, I agree completely. I don't even know how you would address it. But I'm open to suggestions!
Given that race is probably the touchiest subject to deal with in the US it will likely have to come from within the community. A Malcolm X type figure who stresses the importance of education in the home.

Last edited by john3232; 05-10-2014 at 10:30 PM..

Old 05-10-2014, 09:37 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,181,411 times
The most important question for our education debate here is now: what was different in Arizona 50 years ago when social mobility and income equality was much higher (apart from then completely excluded and segregated minorities)? There must be a difference explaining why today we cannot seem to produce the same by a magnitude of difference. Maybe this way we can find some root cause.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:39 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,896,042 times
That's cool that ASU economists are catching up with what everybody's been saying for the last 5 years.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
The most important question for our education debate here is now: what was different in Arizona 50 years ago when social mobility and income equality was much higher (apart from then completely excluded and segregated minorities)? There must be a difference explaining why today we cannot seem to produce the same by a magnitude of difference. Maybe this way we can find some root cause.

Breakdown of the family structure is a good start.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
That's cool that ASU economists are catching up with what everybody's been saying for the last 5 years.
I think the most important thing is that they dare speak up now. The Arizona Center for Policy is slowly losing the monopoly on truth and legislature here.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:57 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,896,042 times
Wow, just read through the last 6 pages of posts and was struck by how many posters are completely oblivious to how AZ is perceived nationally. I assume it's the way Americans only get their news from sources that tell them what they want to hear.

Went to Boston last summer and was slightly surprised by how many "Boycott Arizona" bumper stickers I saw. My favorite was "Arizona; it's a dry hate". Saw a "End Juan Crow" shirt too with the outline of AZ. I had friends from Bozeman MT come down and stay with us for a few days. When the subject of all the immigration law buzz came up they told us how people up there had the impression that crime was rampant here and wasn't safe, and that AZ was turning into a police state, and that's Montana.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Breakdown of the family structure is a good start.
Certainly a factor. But let's not forget a lot of families were then kept together because women had no escape as they had no claims on wages and no real career options. Abuse was widespread but kept under the rug etc. Female suicide incidences fell with no-fault divorce, for example. Actually, one reason women could stay at home more and care for kids education was the fact that wages were higher and middle class families could actually live well on one wage alone. Try this with a median income wage today.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:21 PM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Given that race is probably the touchiest subject to deal with in the US it will likely have to come from within the community. A Malcolm X type figure who stress the importance of education and the home.
Well, I know what you're saying, but I often saw education valued MORE in Black families than in lower and middle class white families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area