Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 10:27 PM

13,795 posts, read 8,032,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
... But let's not forget a lot of families were then kept together because women had no escape as they had no claims on wages and no real career options.
Sure, you can say that but reasons for a woman being a stay-home mom or not really aren't a major factor in this instance. The problem (and it's a big one) is kids having kids. A 17 year old or even someone 21 is going to have a hard enough time taking care of themselves much less two children while on their own.

Last edited by john3232; 05-10-2014 at 10:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 10:28 PM

784 posts, read 923,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Okay, instead of throwing around numbers and misleading adjectives, you tell us -- factually -- how many people from Illinois did move to Arizona for a specific period of time?
More than Arizonan's have moved to Illinois...that is for sure....and it will continue.

Not my fault you misread facts.....so was I right or was I right about Illinois having a net negative migration....of course I was right.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
I think the most important thing is that they dare speak up now. The Arizona Center for Policy is slowly losing the monopoly on truth and legislature here.
It doesn't help when the basis for their words isn't accurate.....how can one say that Arizona is being negatively impacted and not growing when the fact is Arizona is attracting more people and companies....at a higher rate than most other states....thats the interesting part.

Arizona led the country in the housing recovery.....why was that....I think the political leadership deserves a lot of that credit for not enacting laws that would have delayed and prolonged it such as other states did.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:40 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,475,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Wow, just read through the last 6 pages of posts and was struck by how many posters are completely oblivious to how AZ is perceived nationally. I assume it's the way Americans only get their news from sources that tell them what they want to hear.

Went to Boston last summer and was slightly surprised by how many "Boycott Arizona" bumper stickers I saw. My favorite was "Arizona; it's a dry hate". Saw a "End Juan Crow" shirt too with the outline of AZ.

Interesting you should talk about news sources that tell people what they want to hear.....kind of sounds like those people with those bumper stickers in other states got a one way dose of that from their own "side" of what they want to hear also, yes? And you can bet they know people in AZ, have visited here several times to form such a strong opinion to want to stick a piece of paper on their car and drive around with their views on it.

And isn't that the definition of prejudice, paint an entire group, in this case a state, with a broad brush believing everyone has a same belief? Talk about ignorance to the nth degree.

And most importantly....why do you feel it important to comment on something silly like a bumper sticker? If I commented on all the bumper stickers I've seen in every state I've lived/visited(that's most of them) that had heated comments on them about this/that/the other thing, I'd be a billionaire by now.

Last edited by stevek64; 05-10-2014 at 10:53 PM..

Old 05-10-2014, 10:47 PM

13,795 posts, read 8,032,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, I know what you're saying, but I often saw education valued MORE in Black families than in lower and middle class white families.
No doubt that is true. However, the overall the test scores/drop out rate point out a different picture. I think in Cal. the AA drop out rate is around is 50%. The numbers are staggering and unfortunately the Hispanic stats. aren't much better. If the numbers were spread equally across racial lines I'm sure this would be easier to address.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:49 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,475,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Do you really want to compare the education of the audience of the Daily Show to those who watch Rush Limbaugh? It's not a coincidence that Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck lack college degrees. John Stewart graduated from William and Mary.
Funny!!!

I don't know....I think we'd do better comparing something more of value, like who's our favorite cartoon, Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck?

Old 05-10-2014, 10:54 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,181,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
It doesn't help when the basis for their words isn't accurate.....how can one say that Arizona is being negatively impacted and not growing when the fact is Arizona is attracting more people and companies....at a higher rate than most other states....thats the interesting part.

Arizona led the country in the housing recovery.....why was that....I think the political leadership deserves a lot of that credit for not enacting laws that would have delayed and prolonged it such as other states did.
There seems considerable concern in the AZ realtor community that net migration to AZ has stopped and the reasoning is our extremist politics. I have no current data at hand (census data is always way behind) but I think they have more current data there particularly with a data junkie as head. A stop in net migration in a recovery would be unprecedented and it would take a massive change in perception of Arizona for this to come about. So either they are crying wolf there for nothing or our extremist politicians have wrought unprecedented damage to our state. Time will tell.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:03 PM

As long as Arizona has nice weather in January there is going to be a positive net migration....in fact I think it will be increasing due to one of the worst winters in modern times in places such as Illinois just experienced....a few more of those and it will be a flood.

Ran across this story for those that think you have it so bad.....really makes you look around and wonder if the grass really is greener on the otherside...scroll down to read the story.

Immigration Doesn't Lie: California's Boom Is Over - Investors.com

ps.....each year there is a positive net migration do you also blame that on your "extremist politics"...or do you blame California's and Illinois's net migration loss on their "extremist politics"...I think not.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:36 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,181,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post

There seems considerable concern in the AZ realtor community that net migration to AZ has stopped and the reasoning is our extremist politics. I have no current data at hand (census data is always way behind) but I think they have more current data there particularly with a data junkie as head. A stop in net migration in a recovery would be unprecedented and it would take a massive change in perception of Arizona for this to come about. So either they are crying wolf there for nothing or our extremist politicians have wrought unprecedented damage to our state. Time will tell.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:41 PM

50,884 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
No doubt that is true. However, the overall the test scores/drop out rate point out a different picture. I think in Cal. the AA drop out rate is around is 50%. The numbers are staggering and unfortunately the Hispanic stats. aren't much better. If the numbers were spread equally across racial lines I'm sure this would be easier to address.
I agree. But I'm trying to relate that it isn't just a racial situation. Perhaps it is more an economic factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area