Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 AM

654 posts, read 1,496,763 times

Advertisements

oh no it's not!

55th for congestion in all of North America! Traffic does not exist in the Valley of the Sun.

Updated Tom Tom index.

http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/traffi...nualAme-mi.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 10:21 AM

848 posts, read 968,395 times
Yup, I'm really enjoying the lack of traffic here. On Google maps traffic, it's just of sea of green, with a few tiny smidges of yellow, and maybe a microscopic sliver of red in some random place. This reflects my actual experience out on the road pretty well. Back home, half of the map is blood red, with tons of yellow.

There do seem to be a lot of cars on the road both here and at home during certain times, but the difference is that even with all those cars, HERE the traffic is still flowing at 60-70+. Here, "traffic" means driving 60 instead of 80. Back home, lots of cars but it's either a parking lot or it's 15-20 for huge stretches. Also, rush hour back home is easily 3-4 hours in the morning and 4-5 hours at night. Here, I haven't found it to even be worth trying to define. Back home, if you have to run errands during the week, best do it between 11am to 2pm (although there is, annoyingly, a "lunch rush hour"). Outside of that and you're with the traffic. Here, I sometimes do errands during "rush hour" because it doesn't even matter.

To top it all off: 15mpg back home with $4.70 gas, with 23mpg here and $3.60 gas.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
To top it all off: 15mpg back home with $4.70 gas, with 23mpg here and $3.60 gas.
What country are you from? The highest average price per gallon of regular in the US is in Hawaii at $4.37. The highest price on the mainland is $4.11 in Calfornia.

USA and Canada Current Average Gas Prices By City/State/Province - GasBuddy.com

Old 06-03-2014, 10:34 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,630,502 times
Yep, I drove over the 10 on 3rd Street yesterday just after 6 PM and there was absolutely no traffic at all. It looked like a Saturday. I still contend the rush hour here can be somewhat intense, but it is short. Try going 65 on any freeway in LA at 6 PM. It's not happening.

I actually have a coworker who complains daily of how it takes him 40 minutes to go 35 miles. That's an average speed of over 50 MPH. That's not traffic.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:35 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,566,312 times
Quote:

How does moving to Phoenix improve your miles per gallon? Not doing stop and go so much in traffic? Where were you paying 4.70 for gas? I filled up yesterday for 3.95 in Los Angeles. I'm sure there is some lonely station somewhere in LA that is charging 4.70... maybe?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:41 AM

848 posts, read 968,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
How does moving to Phoenix improve your miles per gallon? Not doing stop and go so much in traffic? Where were you paying 4.70 for gas? I filled up yesterday for 3.95 in Los Angeles. I'm sure there is some lonely station somewhere in LA that is charging 4.70... maybe?
Silicon Valley. It was around $4.60-$4.70 at the Chevron by where I lived for the premium my car requires. Although with the Safeway rewards, it was typically lowered by about $0.20/gal. And yes, the mileage is because of no more stop and go. Back home it didn't matter whether it was freeway or city streets, it was all stop and go, regardless. The lights are really close together too. Here, the traffic is always free flowing, whether it's on the freeway or on the city streets, and the traffic lights are usually a mile apart. So with the long distances between lights and with the free flowing traffic, it creates a much better situation for fuel economy.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:45 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,566,312 times
Quote:
Silicon Valley. It was around $4.60-$4.70 at the Chevron by where I lived for the premium my car requires. Although with the Safeway rewards, it was typically lowered by about $0.20/gal. And yes, the mileage is because of no more stop and go. Back home it didn't matter whether it was freeway or city streets, it was all stop and go, regardless. The lights are really close together too. Here, the traffic is always free flowing, whether it's on the freeway or on the city streets, and the traffic lights are usually a mile apart. So with the long distances between lights and with the free flowing traffic, it creates a much better situation for fuel economy.
Oh yeah definitely. I remember awhile back when it hit $5 for regular in some parts of LA. And even that didn't seem to help traffic.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:47 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Weird...heard LA was $4.17 this morning.

Still hate sitting in the car for 45 minutes. One of these days I will work my position back into a work from home.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:14 PM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
I'm shocked every time I drive in Phoenix at how fast and well traffic flows. And the cops just let people drive as fast as they want as far as I could tell.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:51 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
And the cops just let people drive as fast as they want as far as I could tell.
Completely untrue...although I will say they usually won't pull you over unless you are doing 10+ MPH over the posted speed limit or if you are doing something stupid. That being said...they can't be everywhere but they are very focused on traffic stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area