Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:45 PM

654 posts, read 1,496,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
Well US Airways has cut 1 of their 2 non-stop daily flights to/from YYC.... now there's an AA flight with a stop over in its place. Totally sucks.
That's their summer schedule. The late after noon flight is back in the fall .Rouge (AC ) will also be flying direct starting in December. That means there are a lot more to choose from including the AA ones.

Since the CDN dollar dropped in value flying Westjet is becoming a better option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:08 PM

169 posts, read 281,358 times
What's the load like on the PHX - LHR route? Mainly business or leisure travellers? I can't imagine that they're packed planes. Obviously British Airways are making a profit on the route or else they wouldn't be operating it.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:44 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
What's the load like on the PHX - LHR route? Mainly business or leisure travellers? I can't imagine that they're packed planes. Obviously British Airways are making a profit on the route or else they wouldn't be operating it.

I can't imagine its packed either. I think BA is using a 747 on this route, or they were. As you state BA must be making a profit, or they would not be operating the flight. I just don't see the market though between these two cities. Perhaps it's more of a connecting hub for flights, from PHX to other destinations in the west.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:50 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:

I can't imagine that these BA flights are packed either. Perhaps BA uses the flight as a feeder into PHX, to connect with other destinations in the West. As you state though BA must be making a profit on the route, or they wouldn't be operating it. I just don't see much of a market between these two cities, for what is probably a daily flight. I think they use a 747 on the route, or they were anyway. That's a lot of seats for a daily flight.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:22 PM

681 posts, read 1,560,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
That's their summer schedule. The late after noon flight is back in the fall .Rouge (AC ) will also be flying direct starting in December. That means there are a lot more to choose from including the AA ones.

Since the CDN dollar dropped in value flying Westjet is becoming a better option.
They are doing strange things at US Airways... when I check the site now it shows them not flying AT ALL during September?? And you are correct.. the usual 2 flights pop up starting in October.

I'm not a Westjet fan, they are rarely on time (late by 20 mins+ on 6/10 last legs I have taken) and I can always find a less expensive option even if it involves a short stop in SLC or DEN... usually with a better departure time from PHX as well. I don't like leaving in the morning from PHX... because I have the house to close down and, more importantly, I just hate coming back to YYC in general so like to put it off for as long as possible!!

Old 06-06-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
They are doing strange things at US Airways... when I check the site now it shows them not flying AT ALL during September?? And you are correct.. the usual 2 flights pop up starting in October.

I'm not a Westjet fan, they are rarely on time (late by 20 mins+ on 6/10 last legs I have taken) and I can always find a less expensive option even if it involves a short stop in SLC or DEN... usually with a better departure time from PHX as well. I don't like leaving in the morning from PHX... because I have the house to close down and, more importantly, I just hate coming back to YYC in general so like to put it off for as long as possible!!
I'm not a big WS fan either (shhh don't tell my neighbor,he's a captain) but I always check their prices and they have beaten USAirways more then once lately. I prefer the afternoon USAW flight to PHX and the evening return for the same reason you stated. Flying at 10:35 on a Saturday morning is attractive though with Westjet. I have had may USAirway flights delayed out of YYC one for almost an hour with no reason given.
I have never found a stopover flight to be any cheaper than non-stop as I book flights at least three months in advance, I would hesitiate to do a stopover in Denver.. delay central especially in the winter.

The worst trip I ever had out of PHX was on US Airways...the late flight on a Monday night in Oct . Fog prevented a landing in YYC so after two attempts at landing they flew the alternate flight plan....to SEATTLE! Spent on an hour on the ground in Seattle before they could decide what to do with us, gave us hotel rooms and then they had to arrange to fly out of there to YYC the next day at noon. What a pain in the *****.....not even an apology. SEATAC instead of Edmonton...figure that one out! Funny thing was the next day we found out the Westjet flight from PHX landed at YYC 10 minutes right behind us.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:15 PM

169 posts, read 281,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Perhaps it's more of a connecting hub for flights, from PHX to other destinations in the west.
The thing is that LAX and SFO are already well connected to European airports and are popular as both final destinations and connecting hubs for the Western US. Arizona isn't really a major tourist destination for international visitors either, other than the Grand Canyon, which is seen as an "add-on" to a Las Vegas vacation. Europeans are mainly interested in the two coasts and maybe Chicago. They're missing out on a real gem though, if you ask me.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:00 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
It's not a matter of if but when with regard to international flights. It's simply about supply and demand. As the city continues to grow and the more people who take international flights, airlines will begin to offer it. We used to have Lufthansa which offered flights to Frankfurt. When the great recession occurred, much stalled at Sky Harbor

Nonetheless, I'm amused by the ignorant doom n gloom scenarios. I've been reading about those for years on this forum and they all end being wrong. We were not supposed to get more Superbowls. People were supposed to stop moving here. We were supposed to stop getting companies. Housing prices were not supposed to go up.

Likewise, you will read about people making predictions that imply Sky Harbor will somehow fail and never get international flights. Same ole...they will be wrong too.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:03 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
The thing is that LAX and SFO are already well connected to European airports and are popular as both final destinations and connecting hubs for the Western US. Arizona isn't really a major tourist destination for international visitors either, other than the Grand Canyon, which is seen as an "add-on" to a Las Vegas vacation. Europeans are mainly interested in the two coasts and maybe Chicago. They're missing out on a real gem though, if you ask me.
Phoenix doesn't have to be a major tourist destination to attract international flights. Dallas and Houston are not tourist destinations but they attract a lot of international flights for business reasons. Once Phoenix economy and population continues to grow, it will begin to receive more international flights for the same reasons those two cities did. It's just a matter of time.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's not a matter of if but when with regard to international flights. It's simply about supply and demand. As the city continues to grow and the more people who take international flights, airlines will begin to offer it. We used to have Lufthansa which offered flights to Frankfurt. When the great recession occurred, much stalled at Sky Harbor

Nonetheless, I'm amused by the ignorant doom n gloom scenarios. I've been reading about those for years on this forum and they all end being wrong. We were not supposed to get more Superbowls. People were supposed to stop moving here. We were supposed to stop getting companies. Housing prices were not supposed to go up.

Likewise, you will read about people making predictions that imply Sky Harbor will somehow fail and never get international flights. Same ole...they will be wrong too.
"it's all Joe Arpaio's fault!"

Up here in canuckistan we blame everything wrong in the world on Harper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area